Start by marking “Réquiem por un campesino español” as Want to Read:
Réquiem por un campesino español

Réquiem por un campesino español

Réquiem por un campesino español recoge un dramático episodio de la guerra civil en un pueblecito aragonés. Mosén Millán se dispone a ofrecer una misa en sufragio del alma de un joven a quien había querido como a un hijo. Mientras aguarda a los asistentes, el cura reconstruye los hechos: el fracaso de su mediación, con la que crey&iocute; poder salvar al joven, pero qu ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by Destino (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Réquiem por un campesino español, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Réquiem por un campesino español

Anna Hiller
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of Modern Spanish Lit
Recommended to Anna by: Prof. Marta Altisent
I've read this book twice, once in 2002 and again 10 years later. I discovered that while back in 2002, I knew something about the Spanish Civil War, the Second Republic, and the rise of Francisco Franco, I didn't know enough to appreciate the beauty and the overwhelming tragedy of "Requiem". Now, having expanded my knowledge, and taught courses dealing with the Civil War and having studied in further detail the conflicts of the 1930s, "Requiem" simply sings to me. The portrait that the book pai ...more
Aya Nabih
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-swap
not so bad but not impressive
Davide Severini
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the least known works of Sender and yet one of the most beautiful piece in Spanish contemporary literature. The novel tells a plausible story, set in unknown Aragonese village during the thirties, a turbulent time that preceded the Spanish Civil War, which will bring Francisco Franco to rule the new-born military dictatorship. The story develops around the life of a farmer, Paco el del Molino, narrated by several flashbacks of the priest of the village Mosén Millán. In Paco grown a strong ...more
Kyra Boisseree
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-class
I mean, I was just kind of bored most of the time? The end was compelling though.
GeorgeFdR
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic of Spanish literature though it is, I highly recommend this book to any religious man/woman with an interest in the Civil War and its consequences on the contemporary rural society.
Mary
At first I thought it was a little stilted, the language being as plain as it is, and the story as bare as it is. But I've come to realize that (and this most definitely is probably not how Sender meant it to be) this novella is a gift. Of course it is a wonderful work on its own about the Spanish Civil War, it sums up just about everything that happened quite efficiently. Its gift to me however, and possibly to others who enjoy writing, is its lack of background information on pretty much any o ...more
Teresa
3.5/5
Short but poignant story about the years surrounding the Spanish Civil War. Set in the countryside, it tells the life of Paco through the eyes of the town priest. He baptised Paco, celebrated his wedding, and now he is preparing to do the last rite, the requiem for his soul. In order to avoid thinking about Paco's death -which is revealed at the end of the book- the priest goes trough all his memories of him. Through his recollections we learn about the life in those days, were the poor ha
Stefan Zak
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book i read wholly in Spanish!! Even though I knew that Paco was going to die, when he was executed I felt like crying. The inevitable and undeserving circumstances of Paco's death emit a powerful message to the reader about just how brutal the Spanish Civil War was, especially to the campesinos (peasants). I will have to read this again when I have an improved grasp of Spanish, given that each page took about a minimum of 10 mins to read which meant that my reading was too staggered t ...more
Lucia Caporalini
I started to read this for a university exam and I'm so glad. This novel is BEAUTIFUL. I'm glad I decided to read it from the first page to the last, in Spanish. Sender's ability to describe human emotions without actually talking about them is amazing. You have this really sad and beautiful story about the death of a young man described with the coldest use of words and you can't help but feeling so angry. And the book is just so sober and quite heartless. But Sender's words makes you feel ever ...more
Brooke
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sender makes a strong commentary on the involvement (or lack thereof) of the Catholic church throughout the tumultuous Spanish Civil War. I would suggest learning the history before reading the book. The distortion of context and time makes the narrative initally hard to follow, but it is a quick read and the last half is captivating. A perfect example of the post-war literary era in Spain, even though Sender was exiled and forced to publish in Mexico.
Stephen Cranney
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Spanish for an undergraduate Spanish Lit class, and always wanted to come back and read it in English. The book takes place near a city where I lived for 6 months, so it really hit home for me. Very short but very rich. I'm glad I was finally able to find an English translation.
Peter Janke
While among the shortest, this was not the easiest of the books I've read in Spanish. Set in the beginnings of the Spanish Civil War but with a varying timeline, it tells the story of a village priest and his moral involvement in the political assassination of a young campesino who opposed the local oligarchy and its power structure in sympathy for the poor and downtrodden.
Daniel Morgan
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: español
Really short novella, but this is a great book! It's looking at the thoughts of a priest who's saying the requiem mass for a Spanish peasant (as the title implies), but the back-story, the language, the relationships are amazing. If you want a short, good read, choose this!
Tom
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sender manages a feat of leviathan proportions - in just over forty pages he depicts the conflict which defines modern Spanish history with nothing less than a proustian monotony throughout. Intellectually dull.
Rosa
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish
A great story about the church’s role in the Spanish Civil War. Through the main character we are able to see the injustices of the government, the hopes of its citizens for change and the role of the church. Overall, a great story that exemplifies the tragedy of the Spanish Civil War.
Michelle
Of the three books I read while I was in Spain, this is probably my least favorite, but it was still really interesting, especially in the nonlinear arc of the story as well as the way that it balances a personal, domestic story with the horror of the Spanish Civil War.
Vera
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit difficult for my level of Spanish and oh, so terribly sad...
Laura Schulz
Fall 2015: UMN SPAN 3015W
Reuel
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish
Good story of rural life in Spain--and an opportunity to keep up my Spanish.
Daniela
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is really nice. It's WWWAAAAAYYY too descriptive but that's how it's supposed to be.Still, great story.
Michelle
We read a version of this book for Spanish learning students. Not a bad story and describes what it was like for villagers during the Spanish Civil War.
Nicole
Meticulous in its beauty and tragically poignant.
Chloe Walker
Got assigned to read this for my degree. Barely understand any of the Historical context but nevertheless, the climax is still emotional and written well. Glad it was short though!
Rachel Knuttel
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an interesting reflection on the Guerra Civil de España. It was such a sad story though! It was alright to read for class, but I don't think I'd read it on my own time.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Read it back in college for a Spanish lit class.
William Orr
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing short novel, with enough ambiguity to provide hours of discussion. Nice insights to Spain in the early 20th century.
Ethan
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish, fiction
I reviewed this one on my blog.

Emilie
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: español
Read it in one day, really atmospheric, beautifully written. A good short story.
Emily
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
So clever, so well written, vivid characters and countryside and a beautiful, sad tale. Made all the better as this is the first book I've ever read in Spanish.
Becki Riquelme
It is a short book written about the Spanish Civil War and also had a very sad ending. I liked the format but it also had a sad ending and kind of gruesome I thought.
RESEÑA | REQUIÉM POR UN CAMPESINO ESPAÑOL | 1 8 Dec 11, 2016 10:51AM

• Si te dicen que caí
  • El cuarto de atrás
  • El tragaluz
  • Poesías castellanas completas
  • La voce a te dovuta: poema
  • La busca
  • El bosque animado
  • Campos de Castilla
  • Sonata de otoño / Sonata de invierno
  • Count Julian
  • El sombrero de tres picos
  • Tiempo de silencio
  • El caballero de Olmedo
  • San Manuel Bueno, mártir
Ramón José Sender Garcés fue un novelista español. De espíritu rebelde y autodidáctico, se sintió siempre atraído por la ideología del anarquismo, incluso cuando, avanzada la vida, se apartó de las actitudes izquierdistas de su juventud. Tras realizar el servicio militar en Marruecos, se inició en el periodismo y colaboró en publicaciones radicales y libertarias.

Sus primeras novelas son de testimo