Start by marking “Celebrity, Inc.: How Famous People Make Money” as Want to Read:
Celebrity, Inc.: How Famous People Make Money

Celebrity, Inc.: How Famous People Make Money

Why do celebrities get paid so much more than regular people to do a job that seems to afford them the same amount of leisure time as most retirees? What do Bush-era economics have to do with the rise of Kim Kardashian? How do the laws of supply and demand explain why the stars of Teen Mom are on the cover of Us Weekly? And how was the sale of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’ ...more
Published November 15th 2011 (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrity, Inc., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrity, Inc.

Start your review of Celebrity, Inc.: How Famous People Make Money
Pete Williams
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
How I Heard About The Book...

This book had been sitting in my Audible wish list for a while before I downloaded it, so I can't recall the exact referal... but I think it might have been mentioned in a Dan Kennedy newsletter a few months back.

The Lesson/Argument in Three Sentences...

There is no real applicable lesson in here, as the book is basically a documentary in print detailing how the quote unquote, famous, actually make their money and play the fame-game. It also talks/reveals a lot abou
Serena
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I imbibe gossip like a delicious, low rent wine. I check it every day, whether it's LaineyGossip's at times condescending commentary or Anne Helen Petersen's academic capsule pieces. I'm also an accountant. So the lure of a book that combines my love of gossip with my tepid everyday interaction with numbers and business was irresistible.

It's a fun, breezy, at times horrifying look at the economics behind stars anywhere from the A-list to the F-list. It covers the areas I would usually expect, s
LATOYA JOVENA
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read on celebrity branding and how they capitalize on them.
James Cowan
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very thorough analysis of the business of branding oneself to maximize total earnings throughout and beyond a lifetime of being a celebrity. It was very well written and I really enjoyed the charts and graphs that supported the authors facts.

A great read by a person with years of experience in the industry. Not only is it a great read for those interested in the entertainment business but for those who are interested in the consumer business industry. I work for a cpg (consumer product
Heather V  ~The Other Heather~
I really do wish Goodreads gave us half-star options, as this was definitely a solid 3.5/5 and almost a 4 star book, but it got weighed down in a couple of chapters by a bit too much on the Hollywood Industrial Complex algorithm-speak for me, so I found myself skimming rather than absorbing. But the rest is certainly eye-opening, and I'd recommend it to folks who are interested in pop culture and the intricacies of their favourite famous peoples' lives.

Piazza covers everything from how reality T
Grace
This review originally appeared on Feeding My Book Addiction: http://feedingmybookaddiction.blogspo...

The concept of celebrity in today's information overloaded and social media saturated culture fascinates me. I have no idea what useful skills the Kardashian clan has that allows them to command millions of dollars a year for appearances, endorsements, and their chain of reality television shows. I often wonder why I'm drawn to the tawdry tell-all magazines at the supermarket checkout line rathe
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader of celebrity gossip magazines, websites and memoirs, I thought I knew a bit about how celebrity works. At the very least, I knew celebs often court the press and get paid for photo ops. But from reading Jo Piazza's excellent expose Celebrity, Inc., I learned so many more ways celebrities can and do earn money and position their brands in what she calls the Hollywood Industrial Complex. Tackling everything from the rise of the celebrity baby market (and its source, Shiloh Jolie- ...more
Starswirl the Bearded
Very interesting... and extremely over-priced at £12.35 for kindle.

This was an engaging read; full of funny commentary and interesting insights.

Though not particularly interested in celebrity culture, I stumbled across a reference to Piazza while off-handedly researching the following question: "What does Kim Kardashian actually do? And is it worth X million dollars?"

This book not only answered that question, but gave a fascinating insight into the celebrity/entertainment/advertising complex -
Adam
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a non-consumer of most celebrity gossip-based media, the underlying subject matter of this book is outside the scope of what would normally get my attention. After reading it, however, I almost think that on some level it's intentionally directed to people like me -- people who are less interested in the celebrity stories themselves than in the strategic business interests that many of us suspect are secretly driving them.

Full of candid insights and disclosures from the players actually invol
Lori Paximadis
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5. Interesting look at the very big business of celebrity, especially from a branding standpoint. Rounding down for a few things stated as fact that struck me as pure assumption -- or at least not very deeply investigated -- i.e., I'm not sure you can lay Jersey Shore and assorted Housewives and faux backwoods duck hunters squarely at the feet of the American consumer's insatiable need and absolve the media companies of any blame at all in creating these atrocities.
Erwin
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
boring...

i expected to learn a lot of interesting things about the celebrity aspect of the film industry, but the amounts involved are quite small compared to other forms of investment, or even the amount celebrities earn for a staring role or their residuals.

also, for most businesses, the numbers discussed are just a small slice of their advertising budget, let alone overall marketing or sales budget.

if you aren't a TV watcher, this is not for you...
Sofia
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my guilty pleasures is celebrity gossip, but paired with information about branding and economics, it becomes a decidedly less guilty pleasure. Celebrity Inc. is a timely and insightful read. That said, I am glad I read it now and not, say, a year or two from now, when some of the examples may seem a bit dated. Lots of good stuff here.
Rita Arens
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Learned more than I probably wanted to know about the Hollywood Industrial Complex. Particularly the market for "delebs," or dead celebrities. (Einstein dominates.) Had a bit of an existential crisis while reading, as an author.
April
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting book on how celbritys make money, and not just from the movies.
Catherine
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Assumptive, speculative gossipy book- the paucity of material is better suited to a podcast than a book
J
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Part economic text, part celebrity gossip. Written in 2011, it felt a bit dated but was still a fascinating look at how celebrities monetize their fame.
Kelly Thomson
May 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Blah
Kate
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
This book was better than I thought it would be. Easy read. Some interesting business stuff. The chapter on getting a branded perfume or scent was fun.
Angie Banicki
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read!!
Sara
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting, Malcom-Gladwell-esque book. Fascinating.
Joanna Slan
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gives you insight into today's celebrity culture, and how they use us to make money.
Kathleen Wells
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This will revolutionise how I read celebrity news. Fab well structured.
Gary Arndt

• The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History
  • मधुशाला
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • Let's Talk Money
  • Catalyst: The ultimate strategies on how to win at work and in life
  • Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
  • The Martha Rules
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • The Infinite Game
  • The Art of Asking; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help
  • The Thank You Economy
  • #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur's Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness
  • Rebbe: The Life and Teachings of Menachem M. Schneerson, the Most Influential Rabbi in Modern History
  • But Like Maybe Don't?: What Not to Do When Dating: An Illustrated Guide
  • Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from the Original Epicenter
  • Saying No to Jugaad: The Making of Bigbasket
  • Competing on Analytics: Updated, with a New Introduction: The New Science of Winning
  • Bunny
Jo Piazza is an award-winning journalist, editor, digital content strategist and author.

Her latest book, How to be Married will be released by Penguin Random House in April 2017.

Her novel, The Knockoff, became an instant international bestseller in May 2015 and has been translated into 13 languages.

She has written and reported for The Wall Street Journal, The New York Daily News, the New York Time

News & Interviews