Start by marking “The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)

The Thief Queen's Daughter

(The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme #2)

Long ago, in the Second Age of history, a young Nain explorer by the name of Ven Polypheme traveled much of the known and unknown world, recording his adventures. Recently discovered by archaeologists, a few fragments of his original journals are reproduced in this book. Great care has been taken to reconstruct the parts of the journal that did not survive, so that a whol
Published June 26th 2007 by Starscape

To ask other readers questions about The Thief Queen's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thief Queen's Daughter

Cal
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit, fiction, fantasy
Well I remember really loving the first one, and my feelings about this one are "it's okay" so I don't know if my interest shifted, or it's really not as good.

Partly, Elizabeth Haydon's writing style was driving me up the wall. She adds so many "drama fragments" that I was getting ready to throw the book out the window with each new one. You know what they are....

"They ran through the door as quickly as possible.

Into pitch blackness."

That neither needs to be its own sentence let alone a new pa
Alyssa Nelson
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Thief Queen’s Daughter follows the adventures of Ven Polypheme and his friends, picking right up from where The Floating Island left off. This type of fantasy adventure story is what made me fall in love with fantasy in the first place. Thieves, danger, adventure friendship: this book has everything I love about a good fantasy. I’m beginning to absolutely fall in love with all the characters. The King is lovely and I can’t wait to read more about him and his quest for knowledge; Ven and his ...more
Robin
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
In The Floating Island, we first met Ven Polypheme, an unusual specimen of the ancient Nain race. Unlike the typical Nain, whose idea of a good time is to dig ore out of a mountain's roots, Ven's family lives in a human city and specializes in building ships. Unlike other members of his large, practical family, Ven has the itchy feet of an explorer. And unlike practically anyone else in known history, Ven has survived an attack by the Fire Pirates. By the opening of this sequel, Ven has found hi ...more
Genesis Haruno Takahashi
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the first book of this series, Elizabeth creates a world filled with awe and wonder. Characters and settings. Beautiful story lines and creative legends. The book is followed by The Thief Queen's Daughter. In this adventure packed story, you learn more about the world of Ven Polypheme and his mismatched friends. Especially Ida, the lovable, troublesome, annoying, and rude yet loyal friend. It teaches you about the difference between friendliness and loyalty. People can be a lot of one but non ...more
Timothy Pitkin
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
This was a fun sequel that does what a good sequel should do which is move the story forward and expand the world and it does for the thief market has a lot of clever ideas with what can be stolen and sold. I also liked how it makes the Albatross actually part of the plot and it makes it relevant. Ida and Char also get developed more especially Ida who seems to becoming more important to the future plot. But yeah clever with a lot of cool ideas and I cannot wait to see what the next adventure wi ...more
J.R. Dodson
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The premise is interesting, although the follow-through wasn't quite there. I had difficulty pin-pointing why it wasn't "working" as it should, and here are a few takes:

-the narrative isn't as tight as it should be. It was a lot of "and then, and then, and then..." situations that didn't tie together very cohesively in the moment or even at the book's conclusion.
-Why is a 24 year old hanging out with a band of children? Yes, Ven is a different
Aelvana
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hired, then fired, before he really got a chance to do anything, Ven still decides to check out the Market on the king's suggestion. He's supposed to see if he can learn more about an unlabeled coronation gift the king received, but those plans quickly fall apart. For all its magic and mystery, the Market is a deadly place. When it swallows one of his friends, Ven heads to the depths of the underworld.

The prose paints the Gated City very well, drawing out details in careful words. Ven's story co
Kathleen
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free review copy of this book. It’s obviously a continuation, but wasn’t too hard to get into. Things are minimally explained as necessary as they come up. I found it hard to tell the characters apart, aside from Ida (“the thief”), Saeli (“the quiet girl”), and the narrator. The others don’t seem to be well developed or memorable. Maybe they got their distinguishing moments in an earlier book? Here, for the most part, they seem to be unnecessary backdrops, generic placeholders neede ...more
Bonnie
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ven is given a task by the king to explore the inner city, a walled town where all the thieves are forced to live, but outsiders are allowed to visit once a week, to shop for magical goodies. The only problem is, if you don't get out by the time the gates close at the end of the day, you are locked in for the week with the thieves.

The king is hoping Ven can find the origin of a glowing stone that belonged, originally, to the king's father, but when Ven goes into the walled city with a group of
J.L. Burger
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A big thumbs-up for this second book in the Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme series.

I'm getting really attached to this series, despite the fact that it's a bit sweeter and less humorous than what I usually like the most. I think the thing that I really like about the Ven books is that they are able to instill a sense of wonder and tell a compelling story with almost no violence whatsoever.

This book follows Ven and his friends into the Gated City, which is essentially a den of thieves. Their adven
Clay
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: to anyone that likes a fun story
I liked this book. This series is certainly for young readers but older readers will find it a nice entertaining light read if you are looking for something nice and simple.

Elizabeth Haydon once again brings us back to her fantasy world that she created with the Rhapsody series only this time told from the perspective of Young Ven Polypheme a Nain that has gone out on his own to try and quench his thirst for adventure.

This does not really have any ties to the Rhapsody series other than it is in
Marsha
Ven’s adventures continue in the mysterious Gated City, a place where a person can buy anything they want—if they’re willing to risk being stolen from or worse. This is a fantastic adventure or would be if it didn’t promise more than it delivered. A couple of plot threads are left frustratingly unresolved, no doubt in an attempt to lure the reader into buying more books in the series. However, the descriptions of the Gated City itself are brilliant enough to dazzle. The real heart of this story ...more
Kristen
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yet again, the series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme is tragically under the radar. Although it is designed for children, it's Harry-Potter-like (well, early Harry-Potter-like) in the sense that it can be easily enjoyed by all ages.

The Thief Queen's Daughter doesn't have quite as much character growth as the first book in the series but is nonetheless enjoyable. Elizabeth Haydon writes in a way that causes me to share in Ven's itch of curiosity, scattering world-building information througho
Mary
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Beth
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, youth, series
2nd book in the series (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme); The story is told from the journals of Ven, a Nain from a family of shipbuilders. In the first book Ven is lost at sea and rescued by a merrow, meets a sea captain and is sent to live with the sea captain's wife in a haunted inn. This book takes Ven and his friends from the first book and sends them into the gated market place to discover the secret of the glowing stone, given to Ven by the king. I will be looking out for the 3rd book!
Sydney
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Smaileh
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series. The first one did a good job of introducing the situation and characters, and this one takes that introduction and runs with it. Ven remains a likable fellow, as does Char, who remains faithful to the captain's order to watch out for Ven. We learn a bit about Ida's background and she becomes a much more sympathetic character because of it. There's even some softening of her prickliness as she begins to learn that there is some value in making friends.
Julia
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Its a little confusing at first but I really liked the plot. And the thief queen is a total bitch by the way. She even treats her own daughter like a piece of crap, and her daughter is the next Queen of thieves, and she's a little weird and she isn't friendly, but she's just as beautiful as her mother. its a really good read.
Kit
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Kids who like Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series for the friendships among the characters will probably like Ven and his pals for the same reasons. The writing isn't quite as good as Pierce's - the fantasy world is complex, and Haydon succumbs to the temptation to tell about it instead of showing - but the fantasy/mystery mix is appealing.
Megan
Something...something about how these books are written, about these books in general, is just incredible. I finished this book and couldn't help but love it. (I don't know why, but it really made me think about just how much an author can do) It was amazing! Definitely worth the read.
Shadowshock
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I actually didn't read this book all the way. The way the story was written, story scenes interrupted by journal entries, turned me off and so I never got farther then the first chapter. The story line looked intriguing enough, and I'm sure several people would enjoy this style but I couldn't stand it enough to get through it all.
Jennifer Bowen
This book flushes out a little bit more of the characters. You get to know more about Ida and why she is the way she is which helps to not completely loath her. The pacing is still a little off. This one was more jumpy than anything else. Overall an enjoyable story.
Danielle
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
My favorite aspect of this series is that the heroes are a group of children that come from different cultures but band together because they realize how complementary their strengths are. A very fun young adult fantasy series.
MJ
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I think this one is even better than the first: The Floating Island. The adventure continues after the new king sends Ven into the compound of the Gated City. Of course, all his friends go with him.
Mary
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is absolutely amazing. Always had me hanging on, and i have a book schedule I only read at nights and this book had me hanging on.I Love the ending it leads a path too the next book. <3 <3 <3 <3
Amanda
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The storyline of this book was much more engaging than in the first. Maybe it was because the main cast of characters was already familiar, or maybe it's because I like stories about thieves more.

I love how this series tucks neatly into the world of Rhapsody, I'm looking forward to the next book!
Sierra
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought this book was utterly dreadful! And not interesting to read. I love to look at the reviews on the back of the book and there werent any by authors. As a result of that I was weary to start it. I proved myself right... Couldnt even finish it
Toni
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the idea and the plot of the story, but i guess it was just a little too much below my reading level to really love it. I would suggest this book to readers between the ages of about 12-15 or 16.
Stacey
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, dnf
So I really did try reading it. Gave it the 1/3 rule, but it just didn't pick up. I felt like the author tried focusing on all of the characters, instead of the story. The characters got spread so thin I had trouble remembering who was who, and why I should even remember them.
Kimball
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. i read the first of the series. It was also good but i didn't quite like it enough to read the rest of the series. Than at the library I was looking for a book thought to give the author one more try. I'm glad I did.

• The Lighthouse Keepers (Lighthouse Trilogy #3)
  • Troll Blood (Troll, #3)
  • Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands, #1)
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Avielle of Rhia
  • The Starthorn Tree
  • The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy
  • Shield of Stars (The Shield, Sword, and Crown, #1)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • The Last of the High Kings (New Policeman, #2)
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • The Sphere of Secrets
  • The Circle of Stone (The Darkest Age, #3)
  • The Ballad of Sir Dinadan (The Squire's Tales, #5)
  • Sign of the Dove
  • The Secret of Zoom
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,

The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme (4 books)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • The Tree of Water (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #4)