Start by marking “Spiritus” as Want to Read:
Spiritus

Spiritus

(Spiritus #1)

Book #1 of the Spiritus series just .99!

A love that refuses to die…

“As I watched him vanish into a soft mist that faded away, I knew that he was no ordinary spirit…I knew that he was a dangerous entity that could be in some corner of another realm planning his revenge, but I also knew that I was hopelessly in love with him.”

When Becca moves into her ancestral home in Coryd
Nook, 307 pages
Published October 12th 2011 by Dana Michelle Burnett (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritus

Start your review of Spiritus
Rute Canhoto
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW
I finished reading this book on May 20, 2012; I rate it 5 stars! I love romantic novels, specially the supernatural ones, and this one was fantastic.
I found the characters believable in general and the story is well structured. Time jumps are not exaggerated, and the narrative is linear and easy to follow.
I know that a review should be something a little more developed, but I have nothing to point out. I just want to underline the tremendous capacity of the author to convey the feelings o
Diayll
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/Writer

When I was first asked to review this book, I must admit I was a bit skeptical. After reading the overview I doubted the authors’ ability to pull off two things: 1) Make this a believable love affair between a ghost and a regular girl. Seriously, how is that even possible when the two can not touch each other? 2) Make me care about the characters, who – yes you guessed it -can’t have a physical relationship. A part of me could not wrap my head around th
Nikki McCarver
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becca had a pretty normal teen life. Until the death of her mother. Death always has a way of changing things. Her dad decides that they need a fresh start, in house that wasn't constantly reminding them of the absence of the one they lost. So, her dad buys the house that originally belonged to his family and moves them from a big city to a small town. Extreme change of scenery, considering you could hear yourself thinking...literally. Becca was afraid of starting all over again and of being the ...more
Liz at Fictional Candy
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, favorites, ghost
The story opens with teenage Becca and her dad driving to their new home, a house that's been in the family for generations. There has been a tragic loss in the family, and they are trying to make it in a new place, a new life.

Becca seems to be the average awkward teen, a bit shy and self-conscious. Alastor is a ghost, barely older than Becca, who died a century ago.

My first chapter impression (as taken from my notes): I love the attention to detail, right down to the doorknobs. It really make
Samantha **ParaNormal Romance Party**
**4.5 Stars***

REVIEW:
1st line in the book--> Death. It always seemed such a strange and far off event I never thought about what it would be like to actually die.

Spirits. Something that some people believe to have seen and to walk among us. Now imagine that you move in to an old home and see one of a handsome *cough* Sexy..young man who claims that he is your true love from the past. Well that's what Author Dana Michelle Burnett gives her readers in Spiritus.

Becca is just trying to find her pla
☕️Kimberly
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Spiritus is the first book in an exciting new young adult, paranormal series, by author Dana Michelle Burnett. I enjoyed this suspenseful and romantic read. I loved the characters Burnett created and the history of the home she placed them in. Spiritus is the type of book that captures your attention from page one, while the rest of the world slips away.

The tale is about seventeen year old, Becca McAllister, who moves with her father back to his ancestral home in Corydon, Indiana. She and her ne
Titan
Oh, I haven't forgotten you, Spiritus. I'll get around to reviewing you someday soon. Just you wait.

-----

You think you know pain. You think you've seen a ripoff of Twilight. You have no idea.

This is the story of a girl who moves to a new house in a small town with a smaller high school and falls in love with someone who is inexplicably tied to the place.

The only originality that this book even approached was the inclusion of a cat fight between the main character and a random cheerleader antag
Mary-nancy
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After Becca's Mom dies her Father moves her into his ancestral home in a little bitty town in the middle of nowhere.
As with any other move for a school age teenager Becca is worried about fitting in and finding a "clique" to be a part of.
She soon finds out that small town schools are much different than the one she is used to.
After the first day at school she brings home a couple of girls that she met and they try to perform a seance in her bedroom before calling it a night.
Little did they know
Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
WOW! This book was so captivating and it was impossible to put it down. I didn´t want it to end but unfortunately as every book it did end but it will be a sequel and I just can´t wait for it to be released!

This was a love story that defied time, space and even death. It was a truly amazing book with a lot of suspense between Becca and Alastor I mean love but without being able to touch each other? That can not be very easy.

I love the character of this book but especially Alastor! Wow I mean he
Lucy Dosch (EBookObsessed)
The characters in is this book were well written, the story drew me in immediately, and I have to admit a bit of frustration on my part since I was not aware this was Book #1. When I hit the last page, I did a little screaming and I ran to the computer to see if I could find out when Book #2 was coming out.

The feelings which come through between Becca and Alastor have me racking my brain trying to figure out how to make a ghost whole again. They were wonderful together. Jonas is nice and all, b
Alexa
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
(This was originally posted on Alexa Loves Books.)

Spiritus is a story about a ghost – but it is also a love story. It’s definitely a romance from a unique perspective.

I loved the relationship between Becca and Alistair. The merging of the past with the reality of the present made for a slightly more believable insta-love story (though I’m not normally a big fan). But seriously, imagine a relationship where you could not touch, where you could not always see the one you loved, where being togethe
waterbaby786
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mehhhh
"Do you still believe that I am only a dream?” A voice asked in the darkness, soft and beseeching."

Wow goosebumps of desire, hot feeling down to my toes! I'm so happy i just pounced on this randomly completely mesmerized by the cover...it's very promising... I c slot of parallels with my fav YA romance fiction( I won't take names) but it's still got an originality of it's own. I'm sure we all have our fantasies of being the chosen one for extraordinary experiences ....!
Shelby Young (The Haunted Rose)
Very cute romance! I actually cried! So beautiful.
Reading Wolf
This left me on a cliffhanger...I really want to know what happens next. More review to come.

-------Review FINALLY written 10/2/13-------

This book is about a teenage girl named Becca who moves to her father's hometown after the death of her mother. What follows is a story of heartbreak and past love triggered by a seance with her new group of friends. (WHY DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO PERFORM A SEANCE! Never EVER perform a seance when you are new in town, drunk, or bored. In fact, why even mess with t
Avid Reader Amy's Reviews
So this is the story about Becca and Alastor. Two people who where in love long ago but after death have found one another again. This time around they have something keeping them from truly being together. Becca is alive but Alastor is a ghost. Alastor believes that Becca is his deceased wife from 100 years ago. Becca believes she is also. She is not sure why he has come back after all this time. She doesn't know what he is looking for. Does he truly want to love her or harm her because of what ...more
Tahlia Newland
This is a story about a teenage girl who shifts to a new town and moves into her ancestral home. At school she gets a crush on the most gorgeous boy in the school and is amazed when he seems to be interested in her – she is, of course, nothing exceptional. Add jealousy from the cheerleader bitch and you have a common scenario, made even more familiar by the addition of another gorgeous man that she can’t really have in any realistic way because he is a ghost – at least he’s not a vampire.

A nice
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Becca McAllister recently lost her mother in a car accident. Unable to stay with the memories of her mother in the same home, Becca and her father move to her ancestral home in Corydon, Indiana. Soon after she reached that house, she started getting memories of her in that house in her previous life. She also started seeing a ghost, who says that he came for her. Initially, Becca thinks she has gone mad. But, eventually after some research, she learns that the ghost's name is Alastor and he was ...more
Susan
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spiritus is a paranormal romance with some unique twists. I wasn't sure when I began reading this book, how a romance between a teenage girl and a Civil War ghost would work out. It has it's romantic 'awe' moments, and some scary ones as well. Mix in a hot teenage heartthrob from school, and you get a mixed up teenage girl crushing on one guy and finding herself drawn to another. . . who happens to be an ancient ghost. Strange!
I enjoyed Becca's character. I found her emotions and reactions to be
 Bella Marie
Cover: 1/5. I didnt like the cover at all.I mean its just a woman lying. I am sure the one who chose it must have had better choices than this one. So why chose it I will never understand. Does it even mean anything?

Characters:

Becca:3/5 At least she knows she has no future with her ghost...And fortunatelly she is well developed.But hardly someone you will fondly remember with nostalgia through time like eg Harry Potter.

Jonah:2/5 The least developed out of the three main characters. He looks like
Yvonne (The Shadow Realm)
Really sorry to say that I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I hate writing bad reviews so I'm going to keep this short. The book had so much potential. The concept of the story sounded really interesting but sadly it let itself down. I found that the writing didn't flow and I didn't connect to the characters. They seemed very 2-dimensional. There was also a lot of grammatical mistakes. Normally I can overlook a mistake here and there but there was too many here to ignore. Fina ...more
Valentina
This was a fun, quick read that is classic young adult fare. A paranormal love triangle that has a nice edge of frightening moments.
It is a quick paced book, which is a nice change from some of the more long-winded ones out there. Becca, the protagonist, is pleasant to read about, and we do get to see her mature a bit as the book progresses, which is always a plus. The idea of making Alastor a ghost, someone she can’t really touch, was nicely chosen. It creates a number of interesting, romantic
Becky Price
There were a lot of things that i really liked about Spiritus, but the fact that i HATED Alastor i just couldn't stay positive about the book. Alastor was too controlling and too violent for me to ever get past and accept. I do not condone abusive relationships and i just couldn't get past his terrible character to cherish this book the way it should be. With that being said, if it would have ended differently or if Becca woke up and realized how Alastor was and got rid of him i would have liked ...more
Radiant
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becca has been dreading the move to her father's childhood town.After the death of mom two years ago in accident,becca and her father are still coping up ..but she tries..for her father.
When she moves into the town which is more like a time back to history she knows it will be hard to adjust..especially with a house so mossy and dark,,it looks haunted..literally.

A past of 100+ years gets collided with present and becca is drowned in it,the ghost lover of her past wants nothing but her even after
S.R. Roddy
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the premise of this book it held an originality I haven’t seen in the paranormal world of books for a while. The storyline maintained a steady pace with plenty to keep me busy and entertained. The only complaint I might have with this story is questions about their past that I felt wasn’t answered sufficiently, but maybe those answers are in a future book.

It was short and sweet a great read for one of those afternoons when you just want to curl up with a blanket and a warm fire. I like h
My Book Addiction and More MBA
SPIRITUS, a paranormal romance, was the first book in the Spiritus series. It was about past love gone wrong and a chance to make it right. The only problem…one person was dead. Becca didn’t really understand what was going on until she did some research at the library. All to quickly she saw herself and realty hits.

Although this book seemed to have a very slow start, I found myself perservering through and within the first 50 pages or so, was hooked. The characters were nicely developed and I w
Edina
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I don't really get all the high ratings for this one. The story of undying love is nothing new but it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. I missed the deepness of the characters, Becca was too weak I hated that she accepted everything without a second thought... the only real human reaction she had was the fact that she realized they didn't have a future. There wasn't even a real story here, I mean other than Alister stalking her which he done a little too well for my taste nothing ...more
Lynn Thompson
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Read. This YA paranormal begins with Becca, 17 years old, moving to a new small town with her dad, and starting a new school year. When Becca and her new friends have a séance at her house they raise a ghost, Alastor. Alastor has been waiting for Becca, she was his wife in his time. Now Becca has to find out what happened between Alastor and his wife all that time ago. She finds herself trying to balance her normal life with her past and future life with Alastor.
I enjoyed Spiritus, Dan
A.R. Von
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun enjoyable YA read that's good from start to finish!

Becca unhappily moves with her dad to new house, to a place on the map that she has never been and has to attend a new school. This move was decided by her dad as a fresh start to live a dream that he has always had and once shared with his deceased wife. Becca takes it all with stride and continues to hold her head up high. That is until strange things happen and she starts seeing a handsome man (named Alastor) in her dreams. Or is it?

It's
Cassandra
Spiritus was an interesting story about ghosts. Becca seemed like a girl who is trying to find herself. I really didn’t like Alastor I don’t know if it was because of is “old-personality” that made him seem like an asshole or if he was just an asshole. I disliked how Becca left everything/everyone just to get time with Alastor. Too much love sick puppy dog in her that I didn’t care for. Spiritus didn’t leave me wanting more but it didn’t leave me disliking the story either. I’m not sure where bo ...more
Annabel
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
When I got the request to read this book, I really wanted to read it but I never imagined that it would be this good! The story just sucked me in and as I read the last line of the book I wanted to cry out that it couldn’t end like this.

I love the writing style and although I sometimes hated the main character because of the way she acted it never made me hate the book. The story is just really amazing and as I said before it just sucks you in.
An amazing book and I just can’t wait for the next

• A Stitch in Time (A Stitch in Time, #1)
  • She's Got the Guns (The Suite #45 Series, Book 1)
  • Us: A If I Break (Her) Story
  • Them (Her #3)
  • A Vow Of Hate
  • Flock (The Ravenhood, #1)
  • Rose Daughter
  • A Vow So Bold and Deadly (Cursebreakers, #3)
  • The Dead King (The King #6)
  • The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs, #1)
  • This Close to Okay
  • The Princess Crown (The Princess Trials, #3)
  • The Princess Games (The Princess Trials, #2)
  • The Russian Cage (Gunnie Rose #3)
  • The Princess Trials (The Princess Trials, #1)
  • Song for the Dead (Ada Palomino, #2)
  • The Wreckage of Us
  • Stuck On You
Dana Michelle Burnett spent most of her life writing short stories and sharing them with family and friends. Over the years, her work was published in numerous commercial and literary magazines including Just Labs, Mindprints: A Literary Journal, Foliate Oak, and many more. Her short story John Lennon and the Chicken Holocaust was included in The Best of Foliate Oak in 2006.

In 2010, Burnett’s firs

Spiritus (3 books)
  • Haunted (Spiritus Series, #2)
  • Incarnate (Spiritus Series #3)