Start by marking “The Girl Below” as Want to Read:
The Girl Below

The Girl Below

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  471 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Suki Piper is a stranger in her hometown. . . .

After ten years in New Zealand, Suki returns to London, to a city that won't let her in. However, a chance visit with Peggy—an old family friend who still lives in the building where she grew up—convinces Suki that there is a way to reconnect with the life she left behind a decade earlier. But the more involved she becomes wit
Published June 19th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Below

Filter: 5 stars
Kirstin
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Below is a brilliant book. I really loved it - tension and revelation and the painful maturing of the main character Suki sustain it all the way to the end.

The structure is so powerful that I was only dimly aware of how lovely the prose is. Yet on re-reading sections after the first heady rush I could see how cleanly and strongly written it is. I think it’s one of those books that drags you by the hair through a first desperate reading, and allows you to relax and enjoy the mysteries,
Sarah Laing
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Below by Bianca Zander

Okay, first up a confession. I’ve loved this book since its inception. Since the velvet-gloved hand first reached out of the boiler cupboard and pulled Suki’s dress ribbons undone. And mine too. I was utterly struck by this image, and the matter-of-factness with which it was presented. Magic didn’t belong in other worlds; it belonged in ours.

Bianca was in a writing workshop that I attended (convened by Curtis Sittenfeld), and our excitement was palpable when she re
Nia
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has been displaced, in between countries, families or from their own past. This is a story that unpacks a childhood and pieces it back together with a psycho-supernatural twist. I laughed heartily and marvelled at the perfection of a word choice. Loved it, couldn't put it down.
Allison Campbell
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
THE GIRL BELOW is an extraordinary first novel suffused with a creepy surrealism that makes the pages turn themselves. The main character, Suki Piper, is twenty-eight years old when she returns to London after over a decade in New Zealand, where she sought her absent father following her mother's death. There is no magical reunion, but Suki remains there, working and sharing a flat. By the time she returns to London, her roots there have all but dried up, and she crashes, increasingly unwelcome, ...more
Marianne Elliott
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Girl Below. A haunting debut novel in which a young woman slips back in time to solve the mysteries of her childhood, including an incident in an air raid shelter that had the hairs up on the back of my neck.

The deliciously creepy (and yet strangely familiar) mystery at the core of this beautifully crafted novel was so compelling that I abandoned everything else on my To Do list today and stayed in bed until I finished it.

Alongside the gripping psychological mystery, The Girl Below
Crystal Falconer
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This type of fiction is quickly becoming my favorite. The confusion of wondering what is supernatural and what is mental illness is a thrill that I hope to nourish in my literary wanderings (It started with The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry). If anyone has any suggestions in this "type" of literature, please message me the titles!

My official review :)

Leigh Edleman
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I easily read The Girl Below in a weekend–partially because it was fairly fast-paced and easy to read and partially because I enjoyed it so much. It’s the perfect mix of mystery and fiction–just enough mystery to be intriguing and keep you wondering, but light enough to allow you to focus on the characters and their story as well.

The Girl Below centers around Suki Piper, who’s in her late 20′s and has returned to London, where she was born and raised, after spending over 10 years in New Zealand
Tracy Terry
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What could be described as weird, The Girl Below was definitely one of those books that left me wondering just what it was all about. So much so that you may well have thought I'd rate it as a rather poor read but you'd be very much mistaken.

The story of a young woman with mental health issues, part psychological mystery, part ghost story, part time travel - or was it? Still mystified by it all, all I do know is that I thoroughly enjoyed every sentence, every chapter, every page.

Seamlessly weav
Tonya
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
Brilliant first novel! I can't wait to see more by this author. She carves out a main character for us, that is not your regular character. Sometimes Suki is so pitiful, sulking in her own misery. You can feel it at times dripping off of her, you want her to pull herself up, but she will. Give it time!

Suki has lived in New Zealand for the past 10 years and decides to go back to London, an apartment where her family lived for years in fact. Feeling disconnected from the world, Suki looks for any
Sarah Bainbridge
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ever feel like you could bump into a character from a book and immediately recognise them? That’s Suki Piper. Ever think about a book for days, weeks after you’ve read it? That’s The Girl Below. It stays with you.
An unflinchingly honest yet tender exploration of self-discovery. A story that is suspenseful and intriguing – it kept me thinking beyond the last page.
There’s painful stuff in here. But there is also humour and light. This is an assured debut novel that traverses decades and continents
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Close to Home
  • Under Italian Skies
  • Storm Clouds (Goodabri #2)
  • The Silent Inheritance
  • Breaking The Drought
  • Country at Heart
  • Simplicity
  • The Painted Sky
  • Outback Sisters (Bunyip Bay, #4)
  • She's Having Her Baby
Bianca Zander was born in Britain but has lived for the last two decades in New Zealand. She is an established journalist who has written for national magazines and newspapers including the The New Zealand Listener, Sunday Star Times, and Dominion Post. In addition, she has produced radio shows and written for film and television. In 2009, she wrote the dramatic short film The Handover, which scre ...more
More about Bianca Zander...