Start by marking “Leaving My Father's House: A Journey to Conscious Femininity” as Want to Read:
Leaving My Father's House: A Journey to Conscious Femininity

Leaving My Father's House: A Journey to Conscious Femininity

The renowned analyst and author here provides deep insight into the process required to bring feminize wisdom to consciousness in a patriarchal culture--as struggle in which many women are more fully engaged today that ever before. Presenting the personal journeys of three wise women as maps, she points the way to the state of inner wholeness and balance she calls "conscio ...more
Published November 17th 1992 by Shambhala (first published April 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving My Father's House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving My Father's House

Start your review of Leaving My Father's House: A Journey to Conscious Femininity
Tristy
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so brilliant and so powerful. It's essentially about rising up out of the chains of the patriarchy and re-connecting with the deep, powerful wisdom of the conscious, mystical feminine.

My favorite analysand highlighted in the book is artist & writer Rita Greer Allen. She was a sculptor and wild mystic and she shares her very real and honest journal pages in this book. Her thoughts and feelings are expressed with such an admirable depth and honesty, while still being playful and compl
Sandy
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women and therapists
An amazing book for women journeying through a deeper understanding of themselves. Again, Woodman does her mysterious work of weaving insight into a solid mantle of healing. Listen to the words that released my tears:
"While consciously holding the still point in Love, we can observe the opposites swinging through us without swinging with them. We can observe the power of the mother, who yearns to hold onto her child, letting go; we can observe the sexuality of the gypsy who wants life to serve h
Jeanie Blyth

I've come back to this recently, i feel its a structural hanger for what's happening to humans now,both in the collective and for me , in the personal. So much happening around us; the persona is political and vica versa. I read bits out to my friends, though generally can only take in little bits at a time.
Sandy
Jul 06, 2018 added it
It's always good to re-read this book by Marion Woodman every few years. I keep a copy in my book collection because it's always had a strong impact on my understanding of how women and men differ in their journey to self.
Sarah Rasmussen
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Marion’s words opened up a whole new world within my psyche. I have never felt more validated in my own feminine journey of consciousness. This is THE book to read to start that journey of separating yourself from the patriarchal psyche. It is healing, terrifying, beautiful and so so sad. But more than anything, this book filled me with so much hope and gave me a vision for what my life could look like as I embody the true feminine. Thank you so much Marion, Kate, Rita and Mary.
Marina Resende
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
no geral o livro revela sobre o aspecto inconsciente de vínculos nocivos envolvendo a figura do pai e da mãe. fala da fantasia incestuosa (psíquica ou real) entre familiares, fazendo um paralelo entre a sociedade patriarcal e a negação e repressão da matéria e da carne. aborda também a questão da projeção sobre um deus/deusa, religião e a igreja enquanto algo perfeito e completo que não abarca o ser humano em si.

leria mil vezes esse livro, muito bom!

Bente
Feb 07, 2020 added it
Intriguing, in depth inner journeys of three women who also happen to be talented writers. I got lost in their stories and was inspired to learn more about what my own dreams are saying.
Heatherer Annasophiececilia Romaine
Sometimes it takes me forever to get through a book, I tend to read a few at a time and pick what suits my mood. LMFH was a journey through 3 different periods of three different womyn's lives, their breakthrough, healing and transformative experiences were interesting, engrossing and (at times) difficult to get through. I am obsessed with Jungian analytic theory and I enjoy Marion Woodman's take on it.

Liz
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
intensely powerful. personal accounts of the inner journeys towards psychological, emotional & spiritual independence of three women. drawing on dreams, journal entries and conversations, each story gives still greater dimension and depth to the struggle to find each our own individual path to potential filled. ...more
Barbara
This book was co-written with three of Marion's analysands. I wasn't as thrilled in my early thirties with the insights, although now that I'm later in life, I would probably enjoy the passages more.
Evie
Apr 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
I read this while doing my laundry at a laundromat in Alexandria after my divorce. I guess it didn't make that much of an impact on me. I can't really remember what it was about. Read Woodman's other works from the Inner City publishing company.
Rene
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. A deep discussion about feminine consciousness and tapping into our feminine wisdom.
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Jungian psychology through the feminine lens.
Shirley Willard
Nov 09, 2017
Stacey Osiowy
Jun 05, 2020
Susan L. Holtgrave
rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2016
Dec 14, 2019

• The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Window on the Bay
  • Man and His Symbols
  • The Secret Raven: Conflict and Transformation in the Life of Franz Kafka (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 1)
  • Notes to Boys (And Other Things I Shouldn't Share in Public)
  • The Female Eunuch
  • The Marriage of Bette and Boo
  • Pomodoro Technique Illustrated
  • 1632
  • Save the Cat: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need
  • The Feminine Mystique
  • The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage
  • The Wolf and the Watchman
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
  • Rose: Love in Violent Times
  • Delta of Venus
  • Impossible Love, Or, Why the Heart Must Go Wrong
  • Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist Sixty Exercises for Piano Complete Edition
Marion Woodman was a Canadian mythopoetic author and women's movement figure. She was a Jungian analyst trained at the C. G. Jung Institute in Zürich, Switzerland. She was one of the most widely read authors on feminine psychology, focusing on psyche and soma. She was also an international lecturer and poet. Her collection of audio and visual lectures, correspondence, and manuscripts are housed at ...more

News & Interviews

“Why put them through the danger of the fire? And then, I heard, as though it spoke, the voice of the guardian-head: "Each piece must go through the fire. The cowl, the wings, the pneuma, the source, the flow. All must go the way that I have gone. Each may crack in the process, as I have cracked. But look, the crack has healed. I did not break. Without the fire, the piece is untested, unlived, raw. Each must go through the fire.” 2 likes