Start by marking “Prairie Evers” as Want to Read:
Prairie Evers

Prairie Evers

A sweet, spirited ten-year-old embarks upon the adventure of first friendship in this sparkling debut

Prairie Evers is finding that socialization isn't all it's cracked up to be. She's been homeschooled by her granny and has learned the most from traipsing through nature. But now she has to attend public school, and feels just like her chickens--cooped up and subject to th
Published May 24th 2012 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Prairie Evers, please sign up.
Lori June The first thing Prairie and Ivy did together on the playground was to play on the swings...

JeNeal
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book doesn't tell a story so much as it tells feelings. The best skills that the author uses are in expressing thoughts and emotions and a sense of feelings for each of the characters. This enabled the story to have personalities that were alive with the sense of wonder, or uncertainty or confidence or whatever feelings were called for because of the circumstances. Amazing that this can be done with all the generations in the story. Grammy is such a wonderful characterization and is the piv ...more
Reading is my Escape
Sweet Realistic Fiction Story

I thought, You are my earth. How will I grow up any more without you?
- Chapter 1

A library is a wonderful thing - all of our books combined couldn't hold a candle to the number of books a library has...
- Chapter 3

"Crying don't get the oil changed"
- Chapter 16

...that was the silver lining in the cloud. Grammy always told me to look for the good even in bad situations. It's a challenge, but pretty often you can find something if you look hard.
- Chapter 24

In a pac
Lisa
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute book about friendship and learning empathy and how to care about other's feelings.
babyhippoface
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
I didn't want to read this. I mean, chickens? Really? No, thanks. But I decided to give it a few pages, and before I knew it, I was a good 50 pages into the story. Prairie sucked me right in. Turns out, chickens aren't so bad (as long as I just get to eat them and their tasty by-products, not actually be in the same general area as live ones).

Prairie Evers' world is changing too quickly. First she is dragged away from her North Carolina home to live in the hills of upstate New York. Fine. She d
Faith M:)
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I read this a few years ago, I thought it was good- minus one part that freaked me out when I was 10😂😂😂 Apparently it has a sequel I didn’t know about. Will have to check it out when I go to the library:)

Also- is Prairie not the coolest name ever?!?
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, childrens
2nd new book I brought home to read this weekend which also was about a girl having an adjustment to a new life and the inclusion of rural life. I really liked this a lot and can see many readers who like Joan Bauer enjoying this book. Prairie is an interesting character-her rural homeschooled upbringing and old-fashioned demeanor and outlook give you lots to remark on. As a keeper of chickens myself I enjoyed watching Prairie find out what it's like to raise chicks and take care of a flock. The ...more
Jerry Jennings
Ellen Airgood is a story teller. This book is engaging, realistic, and complex. That is a pretty darn good mix for a middle-grade novel. Her character development is strong. Granny, Prairie, and Ivy were spot on. The issues explored are important and relevant. I recommend it to kids in 3rd or 4th grade through 7th ish. And I recommend it as a family read aloud. There is potentially a lot to talk in this story. Enjoy!!!
Arminzerella
Brenda Kahn
Quirky, independent main character? Check. Unusual first name? Check. Okay, let's see how many issues mc has to deal with recent move from North Carolina to upstate New York, beloved grandmother about to move back south, about to attend school for the first time, no friends, newly found friend in fellow outcast, new friend has a secret. I liked, but did not love or connect emotionally with this story. There were moments of lovely writing, Prairie was spunky. The chapters were short, and had cute ...more
Hannah
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was really good! It was about Prairie Evers having to go to school when she's been home schooled her whole life. She thought it was going to be the worst but then she met Ivy and they became inseparable. Ivy was going to have to move with her mom and her new husband George. Neither of them really like Ivy. Prairie's mom convinced Ivy's mom to let Ivy stay with them. They had so much fun everyday! Them Prairie's Grammy came back. It was a happy ending!
Steffaney Smith
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Here it is, my favorite book of 2012! The chicken tie-in (pecking order!) is too cute! Great conversation and characterization. Prairie learns what being a true friend is all about, also something she needs as she tackles public school after being homeschooled for so many yearsP. Good read-aloud for grades 4 and up.
Diane Robinson
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've only read two of the William Allen White nominees for 2015-- but I know I could vote right now. Hands down the best middle-grade book I've read since I was a kid. And the main character raises chickens!!! What more could a reader want?!
Rachel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a former homeschooler, I was disappointed with how the parents looked down on homeschooling, fearing that their daughter was spending "too much time with old people," and wouldn't be properly socialized. It annoyed me that these were the only reasons that they sent Prairie to "real school." But that's just my opinion.

I quite liked how guns and hunting were dealt with in this story. While Prairie only ever handles a BB Gun in the book, there is a bit of gun safety hidden throughout these pages
Emily Pope
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Prairie Evers, by Ellen Airgood, the theme for me on this book, is when life gives you lemons make lemonade. I think the author wanted me to get this idea, because of all the changes Prairie goes through during the book, and how she learns to accept it. I think the book has definitely accomplished this.

The genre of this book is realistic fiction. The setting in this book is New Paltz, New York. I think the author didn't really make me feel like I was there necessarily, but they did a good job wi
Alisa
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An unusually good read-aloud. This book is unique in that it deals with some serious issues in a way that is interesting, sensitive, and age-appropriate (I'd say 8 or 9+) without being too depressing and also without glossing over too much. Readers are confronted (or reminded) that there are people, even children, moving through life with traumatic and violent incidents in their past. Another issue this book deals with is that perennial girlhood fantasy of wishing your best friend could be your ...more
Eleanor Diaz
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this was a great book. Prairie preservers through many comments, she is not taught properly and that she is very unfortunate although she is not. Very sweet story touching at moments. Prairie shows that hard work will pay off. For me this book good because I was able to relate emotionally and physically for example me and her raised chickens.
Kelani
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This book is AMAZING. OH THE FEELS! A student let me borrow their copy because I said I had wanted to read it. (She shares my love for reading!)
Prairie is a free spirited, fun loving, lover of all things learning, curious spirit. It is easy to feel exactly as Prairie feels throughout the WHOLE book. AMAZING!! Must read.
Lucas
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is a book that will get you to think about family, friends, and overcoming obstacles.

While the backdrop is a farm, with chickens!, the story could have taken place in just about any town and at just about any point in time.

Prairie is a character that you can root for to rise above the others and make something out of a presumed bad situation.
AMY
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: None
I read 11 chapters hoping it would get better or more interesting. Just didn't. The synopsis on the book cover actually sounded interesting. However, it was just going nowhere with the plot, characters. There was too much whining about grandma leaving. Not good for ES. NO!
Sheryl
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved Prairie Evers...the main character telling the story. She is caring, kind, and determined, the kind of friend everyone should have. I loved her grammy too. Thanks for recommending this book to me Harmony!
Lucy
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I liked this story a lot. Prairie and her family members and Ivy are all such good, convincing characters. I especially liked Grandma! The story was sweet, and had a bit of depth to it, but was filled the optimism that I love in children's books.
Sarah Mirth
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. I like all the characters and there personalities. The names are very creative like prairie and ivy, and it has a good problem to solve. I would definitely recommend this book.
Lois Chohon
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is classified as young adult but is probably at a level for 6-8 year olds. I started reading it anyway and finished in one sitting. It had a good story. I will read it again to my 6 and 8 year old granddaughters.
Harmony
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a sad book! 😭 I loved Ivy but Prairie not so much. I loved the chickens 🐔 and I thought that it was so cute. It was a very emotional book and made me very stressed out. 4 and 1/2 rating. 🦄💩🌈😂😜😇😃😍😁🤓🌮🎂🍰🍫🍦📚
Hannah S.
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but it was pretty sad.
Emily Smith
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
JFIC
Lori June
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very nice story of a friendship and personal struggles, coping skills and growth...
Kylie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is about a girl names Prairie Everes and she is starting a chicken farm and she didn't know it was also a rooster farm.
Pam Macleod
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this Michigan author!
Nicole Duncan
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a tale of a young girl that has to move and is faced with some difficulties of having her grandmother leave, to having to go to school and not being homeschooled anymore.

Realistic Fiction
  • Summer of the Gypsy Moths
  • One Year in Coal Harbor (Coal Harbour #2)
  • Keeping Safe the Stars
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
  • Jump Into the Sky
  • Kepler's Dream
  • Freaky Fast Frankie Joe
  • Precious Bones
  • Rebel McKenzie
  • Hope in the Holler
  • Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass: The Story Behind an American Friendship
  • Kizzy Ann Stamps
  • Dorko the Magnificent
  • Twelve Kinds of Ice
  • Saint Louis Armstrong Beach
  • Little Dog, Lost
  • Minnie McClary Speaks Her Mind
  • Malcolm at Midnight
I grew up on a small farm, the youngest of four children. My father was a blacksmith and a schoolteacher. For the last nineteen years I’ve been a waitress in Grand Marais, Michigan. I was twenty-five when I came to this tiny, Lake Superior town, on a camping trip with my sister, and fell in love with the man who made my cheese sandwich and chocolate malt at the local diner. We met, exchanged asses ...more
“chickens better as artwork than in person) and to my sister. The character of Grammy was born one day when Mariann told me, “Crying don’t get the oil changed.” Indeed it does not. My husband, Eric, for reading this book so carefully.” 0 likes