Start by marking “Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2)

Palace of Stone

(Princess Academy #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  21,157 ratings  ·  2,406 reviews
Coming down from the mountain to a new life in the city is a thrill to Miri. She and her princess academy friends have been brought to Asland to help the future princess Britta prepare for her wedding.There, Miri also has a chance to attend school-at the Queen's Castle. But as Miri befriends students who seem sophisticated and exciting she also learns that they have some f ...more
Published August 21st 2012 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

·  21,157 ratings  ·  2,406 reviews

Start your review of Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2)
Mitch
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Miri and Princess Academy grow up in this sequel, and I'm not sure I really like it. Part of the charm of the original Princess Academy is the innocence of the characters, these simple mountain girls being exposed to the extravagance of royalty and court life for the first time yet finding inner strength in their own simplicity, and while Miri does grow as a character here, it's just not the same. A good book but without what made the original great.

According to Shannon Hale, the keyword here is
Kate Willis
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is there to say about this book except “Wow!” and *heart squeeze*?!! Frankly, it surprised me. Second books are usually the boring filler one--not so this time around. Although this is set far from the charming Mount Eskel, the strong value of friendship and the rules of diplomacy were taken to a whole new level. I loved reading about all of the academy girls again, and it’s exciting to see the possible future laid out for each of them. (view spoiler) I esp ...more
Vee
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars Pretty alright, but lacking the usual Shannon Hale sparkle that I love so much. Breaks my heart to give it such a low rating but it must be done.
Gretchen Alice
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think that I needed a sequel to Princess Academy, but it turns out that I absolutely did. I felt right back at home in the world of Miri and her fellow academy girls, this time in the big city. Effortlessly combining brains and beauty, Palace of Stone is an excellent primer to politics and ethical reasoning. I was left reeling at the end, wishing I could have stayed there forever. This book is also awesomely feminist--I can't wait to read this to my daughters one day. Once more, Shannon ...more
E.F.B.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Note: I listened to the full-cast audiobook from Audible. Pardon any misspellings I make because I haven't actually seen the words or names. :)

Another very sweet and exciting story! I'm glad I discovered these books! It was great seeing Miri and friends continue to grow and explore beyond Mount Eskel, discovering who they are what they want to do with their lives. I also loved a plot twist related to the royal family, the continuing use of quarry speech, and discovering new things about linder.
Niki
Mar 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Niki by: nobody
Shelves: reviewed, ya
Okay. I really really liked the first book. It was one of my favourite books growing up so I was really excited to read this one. I had my hopes up and...well, this was horrible. First off, I thought that quarry speech was kind of cool in the first book. In the second it didn't feel like quarry speech anymore. Miri's quarry speech got transformed into some kind of superhuman power.

(view spoiler)
Phoebe Andamo
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really love the Princess Academy. So I was surprised and happy to know that it has a sequel. As I started to read Palace of Stone, I felt giddy but I got disappointed--only at first.

I love Peder and he was one of the reasons why I've grown to love Peeta of the Hunger Games. I see them a bit the same. And as I read this book, I saw some resemblances: 1) Miri was like Katniss, 2)Peder was like Peeta, 3) Timon was like Gale, 4) the dystopian setting, 5) the shoeless were the citizens of the dist
Shantelle
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Palace of Stone was pretty good. I think I liked it better than the first book. It dealt with some tough issues, such a revolution; and also had many a heartwarming moment. I enjoyed spending time with Miri, Peder, Britta, Steffen, and their friends again.

I think I'll take a break from this series and read a different book before reading Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters.
Lilian
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
All that drama with Timon and Peder. Please.
Aliceinwonder
What's up with the cover?
Boundless
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Content Rating: PG for some violence.
Jessica
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade, own
The beginning went by almost too quickly, but the ending was fantastic! Really loved how things turned out!
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
Hmm, I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the first. It was interesting, but I wasn’t a fan of all the mentions of executions and such, personally. The messages of this book were also interesting and that love-triangle definitely didn’t stress me out like other readers. I wasn’t a fan of all the romance parts because this series is aimed for younger girls. For me, this one was decent, so maybe I’ll read the last book and finish up this series.

Content-
-Mentions of priests of a creator god, chapels
Elizabeth N. | ThePennilessBooknerd
4.5

I really liked this book. I think it's better than the first one. I thought plot was more interesting.
Miri and the rest of the girl's worlds grow bigger as they leave the mountain for the first time and face brand new challenges they couldn't have imagined. Friendships, Politics, Love, and Betrayal all run throughout the story to make an engaging and fun read, with a few twist and turns here and there.

There were a few small plot holes here and there, but it didn't ruin the story.
Abby Elissa
RTC...this was amazing!! <3 ...more
Booknut
I love this book.

In fact, I love Miri! I like how Shannon Hale has managed to create such a fantastic heroine, who lives, loves and acts in ways that move you and make you want to be a better person. That may sound cheesy (actually, it does) but there's no way around it - this book shows us the flaws we have as human beings. Vanity. Resentment. Jealousy. Struggle. Conflicting loyalties. Uncertain love. And the power of words.

The last one, especially - the power of words - is the main theme of t
Rosalba
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: princess-like
I think I liked this second installment even more than I did the first. It was a pleasure to return to Miri, the same smart, knowledge- thirsty, plucky girl I met in Princess Academy. O nly now, she is torn between two places: her small, rural but beloved Mount Eskel,and big city Asland, with its great advantages. Also, a new love interest approaches:Timon, who's a noble but hopes Miri will be the spark which ignites the great change in Danland. There's also Peder, of course, but he's often too ...more
Mizuki
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a 'the story is nice and meaningful you can give it a try 3.5 stars.

Before I read the first book: Princess Academy, I had never expected myself to like it. After all a bunch of commoner girls being prepared in an academy in hope to be later chosen as the Prince's bride, unfortunately remains too much of the failure which is The Selection by Kiera Cass. (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...)

I'm very glad that *spoiler for book 1* (view spoiler)
LeiAnn
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
And just like that I'm reminded how much I love Shannon Hale's books! Have I beat this horse to death yet?

Miri and her Princess Academy friends are invited to the lowlands to help Britta prepare for her wedding in the spring. As Miri spends her days as a scholar at the Queens Castle learning all she can to take back home to Mount Eskel, she becomes embroiled in a revolution that threatens all the relationships she holds dear.

I think my favorite parts of this book are the original poetry beginnin
Tamora Pierce
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya-yr
It took me a little while to get into it, but I love this sequel to THE PRINCESS ACADEMY, which takes Miri and the girls to the capital to prepare for Britta's marriage to the prince. In fact, I have to say this book, ominous as it is with the growing threat of street violence, higher taxes on the poor, and perhaps the beginning of a bloody revolution, is even better than the first one!
Enna Isilee
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the words of someone very wise: "Holy cow. Holy holy cow. If there ever was a holy cow, I’m invoking said cow now."

I think this one may have been even better than the first for me! SO MUCH LOVE!

Also, I stayed up until 1:30am to finish. That makes this the epitome of a squeaky book.
Jamie Dacyczyn
Feb 09, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
Made it to about page 90....and I'm walking away. I'm getting the sense that I'm not going to like this book as much as the first one, and the things that worked well in book 1 are going to feel childish and weak in book 2. This one feels like it's trying to tell a bigger, more serious adult story, while still being packaged for middle readers....and it just doesn't fit somehow.

Before I get too far and too disappointed, I'm just going to gently place this book down and pretend that I stopped wit
Beatrice Blakeney
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
*sigh* I'm not sure, exactly, how to go about reviewing this book. See, the thing is, Shannon Hale, until this book, had never disappointed me. And then I read this book and decided it was not up to par with her usual stuff. I know two stars may seem harsh, but GoodReads says two stars means "It was ok." And this pretty much sums up how I felt about this book. Was it just so painfully dreadful that I feel the need to stab my eyes out after reading it? No. And to be honest, it's a lot better than ...more
Acheron
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A childhood favorite’s sequel!!!
Abbie
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I almost considered giving this two stars, but out of respect for my love of Princess Academy, I won't.

Ugh.

First of all, it started out really well. Or not really well so much as with promise. I was sort of - and I admit this is my fault - expecting another Bitterblue (but nothing can ever be as fantastically amazing as Bitterblue, and I must remember that).

Instead, what we got was 1) a predictable plot that seemed simultaneously slow and wispy (nothing happened for a great long while, and whe
Jackie
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I probably shouldn't have read this book right after having read Ivan Doig. Or perhaps I'm just tired of wars and revolts. Whatever - this was a disappointment. I actually had to force myself to continue reading this one clear through to the end. (Of course I recognize that it also doesn't help that I returned home from vacation to a huge stack of non-renewable books from the library - pressure, pressure.)

Mrs. Hale is still an ok writer although I echo others' thoughts that this one felt very fo
The Bookish Reader
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was VERY VERY good! The first book was good as well, but this one was amazing!! Miri is such a strong character and I love her so much. There was a lot of romance in this book. Not ROMANCE romance, just kisses. This book will make you WANT to turn the page. You will NEED to know what happens next. And you WILL stay up till 1:00 a.m. reading this book. Oh yea, it's that good. Also no curse words which is always so awesome, I will not say any spoilers but I do need to say one thing.... B ...more
Adriana
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hale can really make me anxious. I was so worried about so many things including that Miri would lose her way. In Palace of Stone, Miri instantly gets asked to be a spy for the shoeless, the poor. There are many injustices being done and Miri is desperate to find a way to save not only the shoeless but her friend Britta from violence. I immensely enjoyed palace of Stone and I can't wait to find how her story ends.
Catherine Hawthorn
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Even revolution proved no match for a head cold." - FAVORITE LINE EVER.

Yes, I have now read the second book (it came home with me this time!).

I did like it, but not as much as books 1 and 3. This book really really made me think about the debate republicanism versus monarchy and concentrated more on politics than on character development like the other two did. But still, greatly enjoyed it and hope to own it one day!

RW ratings:

Language: 5 stars.
Abuse: 5 stars.
Lust: 4 1/2 stars. At least
Clare Cannon
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10-15 years+ (girls)

An outstanding sequel to Princess Academy which takes Miri’s exploration of the meaning of life, education, friendship and love to the next level.

Miri leaves Mount Eskel and heads to the capital city to help her friend, the future princess Britta, prepare for her wedding. While there she has the opportunity to further her education at Queen's Castle University where she studies history and literature, rhetoric and philosophy, politics and even ethics.

The value of books and education feature
Play Book Tag: [Poll Book Tally] Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale 3 stars 1 6 Mar 28, 2020 09:48AM
Does Miri get married to Peder? 11 166 Mar 04, 2020 02:05PM
Play Book Tag: Palace of Stone / Shannon Hale. 3.25 stars 1 10 Jan 20, 2017 08:17PM
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Palace of Stone 1 2 May 14, 2014 10:39AM

• The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower, #1)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #3)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • Wednesdays in the Tower (Castle Glower, #2)
  • Fridays with the Wizards (Castle Glower, #4)
  • The Bravest Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #3)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • Saturdays at Sea (Castle Glower, #5)
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • Unlocking the Spell (Wide-Awake Princess, #2)
  • The Princess Curse
  • A Tale of Two Castles (A Tale of Two Castles, #1)
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • Ever
  • Flunked (Fairy Tale Reform School, #1)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more

Princess Academy (3 books)
  • Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Sisters (Princess Academy, #3)