Start by marking “Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate” as Want to Read:
Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate

Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate

(Halloween Jack #1)

Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, the one night of the year the Devil and his kin are free to roam the world. Only one thing keeps humanity safe on that darkest of nights: Jack o' the Lantern, the mythical figure that all demons despise and fear. What if Jack o' the Lantern didn't frighten all of those dark creatures any more?

The Devil's Gate comes crashing down! Jack o' the La
Published October 19th 2011 by Bard's Cloak of Tales

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate

Carrie
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
John O'Brien has heard all the legends of how Jack of the Lantern was supposed to have protected humanity from demons on All Hallow's Eve for centuries. The demons and creatures were supposed to have feared him too much to approach any jack o' lantern. One Halloween night with the help of steam soldiers, The Devil finally got the better of Jack of the Lantern and broke through the Devil's Gate.

Now with the help of his cousins, Moira O'Neil and Daniel McRory, John takes over for Jack of the Lante
Wol
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a neat little surprise this novella turned out to be – a whimsical YA steampunk tale that draws from Irish folklore, set mostly in late 1800s Boston.

Once a year on Halloween, the Devil’s Gate is opened and all the demons in Hell pour out to create their mischief. The O’Neil family line are the guardians of the gate – they supervise the demons and serve them drinks in their Tavern. Come midnight they shoo the demons back through the gate, when it will close again until next Halloween. Jack o
Ashe Armstrong
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a very fun read. Fun characters, fun story, fun ogre. The power of myth and lore can, as Jack shows, carry some weight. Could use an editing touch up, but it wasn't enough to diminish my enjoyment. Indie authors take a lot on their shoulders so it makes a lot of things even more forgivable. Especially if you enjoyed the work. If you like clever heroes and steampunk, give it a read.
Todd Ross
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I got this book for free from Amazon over the weekend. I was surfing /r/fantasy on reddit and the author mentioned that it was free for a few days. I figured I'd pick it up and give it a try.

Before I get into the review though...
I was wondering is this is a novella or novelette? What is the breaking point between the various definitions. When does a short story become a novelette, and that into a novella, and eventually a full novel? I have no idea, and its not really pertinent to the review any
Katharina Gerlach
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I've had this on my eBook reader for quite a while and always meant to read it. It was a pleasant surprise. The book was one of the fastest paced I've read in a while with many interesting twists and turns.

I liked Jacks female cousin best, but Jack was an interesting character too. Normally, I despise it when characters in a novel don't tell the others their intentions or plans but here, it made sense.

Very enjoyable read for everyone who's got a heart for Halloween. I wouldn't give it to young c
Jeffery Moulton
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a quick, mythology-based, light fantasy with some steampunk on the side.
I'm really torn on the review for this book. In fact, I finished it a couple of weeks ago and have been coming up with excuses to not post a review because I wasn't sure what to say. Here are some of the problems:

The story is very fun. I loved the mythology angle and the steampunk aspect. The variety of demons was also well done and interesting, and I got a kick out of reading a tale about out-smarting the devil, which you just don't get very often anymore.

In general, the story was also well-tol
Christopher Kellen
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, indie

Halloween Jack and the Devil’s Gate is, at its heart, a folk tale. It stirs up feelings of stories featuring other characters named Jack – like Jack & The Beanstalk, for example. This is a story of whimsy and hearkens back to an age of storytelling when history was a murky blur and legends ruled and had power.

In fact, the power of myth, story and legend is one of the central themes in HJ&tDG. The mythical figure Jack o’ the Lantern (who keeps the demons away from Earth, chasing them back
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Really enjoyed this one. A bit more serious than I was expecting at times, but there are plenty of humorous moments.
A wonderfully diverse group of characters tread the stage for this adventure as they battle to return the recalcitrant escapees from hell to their warm and toasty abode. Demon outsmarting always makes for a good read and this was no exception.
Halloween Jack is a particularly sneaky, and brave young man and young Moira is someone even demons need to think twice about before battli
Ren Bedell
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
An interesting story of a family taking on demons and the devil. It's a fun story. Even though it is based around battling demons, it is very lighthearted and comedic. The characters and storyline is great. Overall it is a very enjoyable read. There is a clear resolution to the story at the end, but also teases about the next book too. I wish there was more character development. It centers on Halloween Jack, and I feel like I don't know or care about the other two. The dialogue is also not writ ...more
Keith
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read from beginning to end. It's a nice mix of folklore and steampunk. It has something for everyone: fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, scary monsters and did I mention steampunk? Halloween Jack should be read alongside The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I recommend this book to everyone who loves Halloween folklore.
Wendy
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed it! I recommend it to everyone!
Sgt Roman Hunter
AWESOME, CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS. MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY IS HALLOWEEN. I HEARD THIS WAS A GOOD READ. 5 STARS NOW TILL I READ IT. THANKS M. TODD
Liz
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very quick read. Clever story, could have used a little more substance.
Seonaidh
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014, fantasy
Lots of fun, A sort of mashup of Irish and American folklore with a dash of steampunk.

A light read for younger readers of all ages :)
Pop Bop
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A Very Good Jack Story

Jack of the Lantern is one of my favorite characters from modern legend, and it's always fun when he makes an appearance in a tale. Doomed to wander on the plane between Heaven and Hell, he often shows up as a bemused observer when devilish things are happening at a cross roads, and is always available to frustrate and annoy Satan. This book is a complete Jack adventure, and both he and the tale are presented well.

The setup is that the Gate to Hell opens once a year on Hall
Robyn McIntyre
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a romp of a story.

Based on Irish folklore, Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate starts out on a darkly magical note with the Devil's minions taking over the gatehouse where demons gather on their way back to Hell. This Halloween night, the only night in which demons are free to walk the earth, will be the last one where Jack o' the Lantern holds power. At least, if the Devil has his way. And to make sure, he orders every one of Jack's line to be killed.

Caught up in this maelstrom is John
Eric
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical, humor
This novella, inspired by stories of Stingy Jack or Jack of the Lantern, was a fun, light read.

In this version of the story, Jack not only tricked the Devil, but he and his descendants became keepers of the Devil's Gate. The story opens with the end of a Halloween night, when the forces of Hell are allowed to roam the earth, but instead of going back through the Gate they finally overcome Jack and stay on earth to wreak havoc.

It's up to the the final descendants of Jack's line to find a way to r
Vannessa
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books, fantasy
This was a fun quick read, telling the story of how Jack of the Lantern was defeated by the Devil Lord on the Darkest night (Hallowe'en to you and me!) and because of this demons roamed the earth doing as they please with no one to stop them.

No-one that is until Hallowe'en Jack comes into being. Hallowe'en Jack is the grandson of Jack of the Lantern and with the aid of his two cousins, both of whom carry magical artefacts to help scare off the demons (they cannot be killed, but can be scared int
Christopher Davis
I bought this one from the author himself while visiting a renaissance fair with my then two year old grandson (who by the way was on my nerves that day) Although I did enjoy the few moments that I had in talking with the author, I would have liked to have spent more.

The story got down behind some books on the shelf as was missed for some time. Finding it a few days ago, I decided to read the story that I had purchased for the first of my grand kids. Unfortunately...I don't think that (my now fo
Lisa Cox
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a lot of steampunk, but I was surprised by how much I liked this book. It's a mixture of old-fashioned Irish folk legends, the traditions of fun and light-hearted besting-the-devil stories, some magic, bargaining with St. Peter, a genius who tinkers with inventions no one else can understand, and a Victorian setting.

It was fun, kept me thinking, made me re-read it to see what clues I had missed along the way, and the characters were really sympathetic and entertaining. It made me
Miriam
Like many other reviewers, I must agree that this story would be much more enjoyable and easier to read after a bit more proof-reading.

That said, I did very much enjoy the story in itself. I will likely add this to my annual Halloween reading list.
Valruspines
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Very fast paced, even a bit rushed at a times. But a very fine reading. The characters could be a little deeper but the story is like a presentation to longer and better stories. I'm going to follow Jack and his latern for sure. And Mickey, I'm sure wanna follow Mickey!
Misty Mirko
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very addictive

Great story, nice writing style and super hard to put down. Looking forward to seeing if his other works are as well written. Great job!
Deanna Goodson
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it

A cute folk tale. Some editing mistakes reduce overall quality of the story.
Amanda
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This an excellent read. It delves into the true meaning of Halloween --- guarding against evil spirits and demons. Halloween Jack is cuning, daring, and devious. My kind of character!
Mia Kleve
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default, kindle
Excellent story! I haven't had this much fun with a folklore tale since deLint. I can't wait for the next one!
Jack
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kind of a folk tale legend sort of thing. Fun little read of Good vs Evil. Nice story line that reminded me of a Fairy Tale. Not a scary Halloween horror at all. I liked this one.
Morgan Lewis
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little romp, putting a semi-updated (steampunk) take on old Irish mythology.
Leann
rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2018
Denise Boughelam
rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
#GallowglasArmy H...: Halloween Jack and the Devil's Gate 1 1 Nov 09, 2015 09:58PM
So much fun... 1 2 Nov 02, 2011 06:48PM
Goodreads Authors...: Where's your lantern? 1 7 Nov 02, 2011 05:10PM
Goodreads Authors...: Where's your lantern? 1 7 Nov 02, 2011 05:02PM
  • Freeze
  • Scraping the Bone: Ten Dark Tales
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • Dark Entry
  • In Siege of Daylight (Compendium of Light, Dark & Shadow, #1)
  • Dragon Soul
  • Cinema of Shadows (Harmony, Indiana, #2)
  • Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • A Collection of Ghost Stories and Paranormal Short Stories (Creepy #1)
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Fox's Bride
  • The Dead Love Longer
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • You Only Die Twice
  • Dead Stop
  • Sorcerer’s Code
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • His Wife For A While
M Todd Gallowglas has been a professional storyteller at Renaissance Faires and Medieval Festivals for over twenty years. After receiving his Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University in 2009, he used his storytelling show as a platform to launch his fiction career. He is the author of the Tears of Rage and Halloween Jack series, which have spent time on various best ...more

Halloween Jack (2 books)