Start by marking “The Happy Prince” as Want to Read:
The Happy Prince

Oscar Wilde

The Happy Prince

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  20,654 Ratings  ·  583 Reviews
More than a hundred years ago, Oscar Wilde created this moving story for his children. Now shimmering illustrations, as bejeweled and golden as the Prince himself, give glowing life to the many dimensions of his tale. His story of friendship, love, and a willingness to part with one's own riches may be more important today than ever before. Full color.
Published (first published May 1888)

Petra X
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, reviewed
Totally rewritten and expanded from the original short and succinct review in the light of some personally derogatory comments concerning my even daring to mention Wilde's anti-semitism. Nov. 18th, 2011

I've always liked Oscar Wilde's prose, if not his drama, but I thought this was an exercise in hypocrisy, or perhaps it was just Oscar Wilde, locked out of the gates of the wealthy aristocracy, just venting his spleen on them. You would think a man who lost everything because of the prejudice agai
Ahmed  Ejaz
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2017
There is no Mystery so great as Misery
Stories like this are the reason I still love Classic short stories. I loved the concept. But again, this story has a bitter-sweet ending. Like it's the rule of classic literature to not give happy endings. I understand, I really do, that they just show reality. But don't know why they just make me over-sad.
The living always think that gold can make them happy.

OVERVIEW
There is a statue of a prince called 'Happy Prince' at the place where everyone
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Happy Prince and Other Tales = The Happy Prince and Other Stories, Oscar Wilde (1854 ـ 1900)
The Happy Prince and Other Tales (also called "The Happy Prince and Other Stories") is a collection of stories for children by Oscar Wilde first published in May 1888. It contains five stories: "The Happy Prince", "The Nightingale and the Rose", "The Selfish Giant", "The Devoted Friend", and "The Remarkable Rocket".
The Happy Prince: In a town where a lot of poor people suffer and where there are a lot
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Surely Love is a wonderful thing. It is more precious than emeralds, and dearer than fine opals. Pearls and pomegranates cannot buy it, nor is it set forth in the marketplace. It may not be purchased of the merchants, for can it be weighed out in the balance for gold.”
Carlos De Eguiluz
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
El precioso espejo de lo que representa la amistad, el altruismo y la verdadera felicidad.

La prosa de Wilde, es, sin duda alguna, una bocanada de aire fresco.

"My courtiers called me the Happy Prince, and happy indeed I was, if pleasure be happiness. So I lived, and so I died. And now that I am dead they have set me up here so high that I can see all the ugliness and all the misery of my city, and though my heart is made of lead yet I cannot chose but weep."
Lorraine
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is about the friendship between a swallow and a statue of a Happy Prince. The Happy Prince truly was just that- happy- in life because he lead a sheltered existence. "My courtiers called me the Happy Prince, and happy indeed I was, if pleasure be happiness." This distinction foreshadows the story's intent to outline for us a deeper meaning in happiness. In life, the Prince was shielded from all misery. He passed, and was immortalized in the statue, which looked down upon the city.

We m
Duane
Metaphors abound in this Oscar Wilde fairytale. A swallow delays his migration to help the statue of the Happy Prince correct some wrongs that were overlooked when he was alive.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
There is a sadness that permeates all of Oscar Wilde's work...but it is a sadness that helps us find joy with who we are. This story is one of my favorites; a beautiful tale for children.
Laysee
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laysee by: Winston
The Happy Prince led a privileged and sheltered life and knew only pleasure. In the city, his image as the Happy Prince was immortalized in the form of a bejeweled statue covered in fine gold leaves, set aloft on a tall column. But a transformation came over the Happy Prince when his new vantage point opened his sapphire eyes and leaden heart to the suffering of the poor in the city. The Happy Prince began to weep.

Oscar Wilde wove an uplifting story of friendship, loyalty, compassion and sacrif
Sarah Brownlee
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most beautiful story I have ever read in my life. I cried reading it as a child and I still cry reading it as an adult. The Happy Prince, a short 'children's' story, tells the life of a prince who was made into a golden statue after he died. In life, he lived a sheltered happy/ignorant life, but in death he saw all the suffering throughout the city. The relationship between the prince and the sparrow is incredible - furthermore, the shallow greed and hypocrisy of the town officials and autho ...more
Illustrating Stories 1 7 Jan 08, 2015 05:56AM
The happy prince - Personal review 4 21 Nov 17, 2014 02:56AM
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • Priče iz davnine
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Jennings and Darbishire
  • Brendon Chase
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Ash Road
  • Tüskevár
  • Way Home
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke, #3)
  • Fray Perico y su borrico
  • بند انگشتی
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
“Any place you love is the world to you.” 97 likes
“Dear Prince, I must leave you, but I will never forget you, and next spring I will bring you back two beautiful jewels in place of those you have given away. The ruby shall be redder than a red rose, and the sapphire shall be as blue as the great sea.” 43 likes