Start by marking “The Tail of the Tip-Off (Mrs. Murphy, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)

The Tail of the Tip-Off

(Mrs. Murphy #11)

Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen and her sleuthing pets are back for their 11th Mrs. Murphy mystery in this "New York Times" bestselling series. Accelerated Reader: Reading Level 4.6, 12 Points.
Published April 2004 by Bantam Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Tail of the Tip-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tail of the Tip-Off

Start your review of The Tail of the Tip-Off (Mrs. Murphy, #11)
dianne
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cats
Well, i was looking for a light read, and by George, i got one. These characters are so flat they could have come with the book as page markers. Yes, the cats and dogs are slightly more interesting with occasional insights like:

Cat There is such a thing as a good death
Dog You mean a brave death?
Cat Thats one way
Which put me in mind of the heroine Rachel Corrie who, in her early 20s was mowed down, as she stood, eye to eye with the Israeli driver of the bulldozer about to kill her. She stood,
Oceana2602
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok, I'm going to do a standard review for the rest of the Mrs. Murphy books I read, because I really can't think of something smart to say about every single one of them. Actually, it's hard to come up with something smart to say about any one of them, because they are not really smart books.

Though, no, that's not true. They aren't trivial as such, they aren't too easy - or, in other words, they don't hurt my brain while I read them. But I think we can all agree that they are also not "great
Bodosika Bodosika
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't like this almost drop it half way...2star
Kate
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Better than the last Mrs Murphy I read, but not as good as the early ones. And Harry seemed a bit cranky and foolish in this one.
Randee
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
11 visits with Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter have been enjoyable for me. I am almost half way through this series and have not been disappointed. Full steam ahead and on to number 12!!!
Debbie
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really have enjoyed all the books in this series, and as I have said before I love the interaction between the animals.
Sanya Weathers
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I was vaguely horrified to realize that I was enjoying these cozy mysteries with talking cats and corgis. I'm not really a cozy mystery person. I'm unable to finish most examples of the genre.

Credit where credit is due - the Mrs. Murphy series is a lot of fun.

This one was not fun. The characters, so well rounded and interesting in the other books, feel like caricatures in this one. The plot feels forced. The story itself is told pretty well, but I can hear the machinery clanking along in a way
Donnie Bailey
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have to agree with others that this was not the best in the series. This is my sixth in the series, and I was not impressed with Harry's intelligence, or rather lack of, in this novel.

First review!
Gena Lott
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not nearly as fun as Lillian Braun's series of "Cat Who. . ." books. In fact, for me, this book bordered on fantasy because the author gets into the cats' and dog's heads, discusses their conversations and explores their motives as much as the human characters.
Jen
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Too many characters, convoluted story, mediocre at best writing, and just overall weak. But I did read the whole thing! And I have to admit I like how the animals help solve the mystery and get the bad guys.
Margaret
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I picked this up as a "vacation read," and was sorely disappointed. It felt cutesy and constructed, and made for good bedtime reading since it was so easy to put down. And the characters had weird, frequently gender-neutral names that - even 3/4 of the way through - I could not keep straight.
Marjorie
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It didn't detract from my enjoyment of this books, but the author let in a continuity error. I won't say what. Figure it out yourself.
Lindsey
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Winter blues have descended on Crozet, Virginia, putting the residents in low moods. Thankfully, they have women's basketball games to attend at the University of Virginia to take their minds off of the dark days and snowstorms. But when a local building developer drops dead of a heart attack right after a game, nerves are rattled. Of course, his autopsy reveals the truth: He was poisoned.

Book #11 in Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown's Mrs. Murphy series is as delightful as the previous 10. The
Christyn
It's hard to say something new about a series after you've read so many books in one. It's an easy read. It's not overly complicated, but it's not boring either - it's a decent mystery. This is the kind of book you can pick up when you want to read, but don't really know what you want to read. I also call it my "When I'm going to be going somewhere that makes me wait a long time (like getting my car serviced, or the DMV, or the doctor)" series.

This one I felt Harry jumped the gun a little, but
Rebecca
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's winter in Crozet, Virginia, and snow is on the ground...unfortunately, so are bodies! And they appear to have one thing in common, the stadium known as "The Clam," or maybe (horrors) the ladies' basketball team. And if you think for one red-hot minute that Harry (Mary Minor) Haristeen is going to sit back and let this happen in her town without trying to get to the bottom of it all, you don't know her...OR her cats, Mrs. Murphy and Pewter, OR her dog, Tee Tucker. With the Haristeen crew on ...more
Melissa
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cats, dogs
Harry and her friends(which include Pewter and Mrs. Murphy the cats and Tee Tucker and Brinkley the dogs) help the sheriff and deputy solve the latest mystery. Recommended.
Nancy Fredenburgh
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the better Brown and Sneaky Pie books. Very few dull moments!
Pam
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good mystery with animals. The animals talk to each other.
Judi Mckay
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
The only mystery I want to solve is how come this series is so popular? It really didn't do it for me
Nothing Like A Good Book!!!! wood
just loved it.....on to the next..
Karen
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Kinda obvious murder victims and murderer, but great fun with the animals and the development of Harry and Boom Booms relationship.
Tara
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Another interesting mystery. I love the characters and the animals. I really love what the pets say versus what their humans think they are saying. I think its hilarious. ...more
Laurel Bradshaw
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a review. Comments are for my own recollection...

Time: Winter. Harry is "late 30s". Four years since her divorce. Susan's son is a freshman in college. Blair is dating Little Mim.

Characters: Ned and Susan Tucker, Big Mim, Little Mim, Boom Boom, Mrs. Hoggendobber, Tally, Rick and Cynthia

Animals: Tee Tucker, Mrs. Murphy, Pewter, the Rev. cats Cazenovia and Elocution, a stray dog named Brinkley

I've read this one several times before. Women's basketball, a new shopping center under construction,
Mary
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall a good read as usual the animals make the story interesting.
Patrick Gibson
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
This is my first (and probably only) Sneaky Pie (Ritas cat) murder mystery. It's cute, but

The Virginia town of Crozet is in the middle of a nasty winter, which is warmed somewhat by public love for basketball. One of those basketball fans is H.H. Donaldson, the town builder and philanderer. But things take a nasty turn when H.H. drops dead of a heart attack in the parking lot. And then a deep puncture wound is found on his neck -- but no one can figure out how H.H. wouldn't have noticed a needle
Susan
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Brown's the Tail of the Tip-Off is another wonderful addition to her Mrs. Murphy series. This book brings the reader back to Crozet, Virginia while the residents are in the middle of winter. To keep warm, the residents gather to root for the University of Virginia's women's basketball team. I love how Brown makes the reader feel like part of this cozy little town, and the reader gets caught up in Harry and her friends' excitement for the game. When murder befalls one resident coming out of a ...more
Pearl Drolet
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a cat lover to enjoy Brown's 11th Mrs. Murphy novel (after 2002's Catch as Cat Can), which centers on the "Clam," the University of Virginia's giant sports complex. After a women's basketball game, construction company owner H.H. Donaldson falls dead in the parking lot. The police and Crozet, Va., postmistress Mary Minor (Harry) Hairsteen are barely into trying to find out who killed H.H.and howwhen a second mysterious death occurs at the arena. While Harry snoops around, ...more
Samantha
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Equations: Murder + Mary Minor "Harry" Harristeen = trouble, Mrs. Murphy + Tee Tucker + Pewter = Save the day!

Seriously, that is all you need to know about any Mr/s Murphy mystery. Why do I keep reading them then, if they are so predictable?? Because they are just so darned cute and likable. This book, the 11th installment of the Mrs. Murphy Mysteries, finds Harry celebrating a UVA women's basketball win when all of a sudden a local contractor drops dead in the parking lot. The investigation
Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
When contractor H. H. Donaldson is murdered after a women's basketball game, the whole town is buzzing. Was it related to his business or to his affairs? As Harry Haristeen begins snooping into the why and how of the murder, there's another death. can she and her animals discover the truth? There are changes coming in Crozet, from a new post office to relationships such as Fair and Harry or Harry and Boom-Boom.

Not quite as interesting as the previous books. Everyone is given short shift in the
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (Cat Who..., #29)
  • The Cat Who Wasn't There (Cat Who..., #14)
  • The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who... #12)
  • The Cat Who Saw Stars (Cat Who... #21)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • Buy a Whisker (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #2)
  • Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who... #25)
  • The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
  • Arsenic and Old Books (Cat in the Stacks, #6)
  • The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who... #26)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)

News & Interviews