Start by marking “Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy, #13)” as Want to Read:
Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy, #13)

Cat's Eyewitness

(Mrs. Murphy #13)

Its no secret that cats are a mystery writers best friend. Just ask the bestselling team of Rita Mae Brown and her furry partner, Sneaky Pie Brown, back on the prowl with another unforgettable whodunit. This time a controversial miracle in Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains sparks religious fervorand a suspicious death. Now the indefatigable felines Mrs. Murphy and Pewter, ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat's Eyewitness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat's Eyewitness

Start your review of Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy, #13)
Randee
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lucky 13th........the 13th Mrs. Murphy that I've read (in chronological order) has all the gang hunting for a murderer and trying to discover why a statue of the Virgin Mary is weeping bloody tears. I noticed that in this one, which is a departure from the previous 12, Rita Mae Brown (or Sneaky Pie Brown...there is some dispute on who really writes the stories) has begun to throw in a political viewpoint. This is okay with me because I can disagree with people politically without getting ...more
Sharla
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the transition book between Harry's days as postmistress and the next phase in which she remarries Fair. The mystery seems to take a backseat here to the personal relationships of the characters. I loved the line, "In an ideal world you fall in love with the person, not the wrapping paper." I tried reading one of the later books and couldn't get through it. The tone seems different and less enjoyable to me so this book becomes the last in the series for me.
Aeron
Apr 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm ashamed to even admit that I read this book as an adult, so you can imagine I'm even more ashamed to admit that now that I've finished it I actually miss the characters.

The last I read Rita Mae Brown was some 15 years ago. She likes making her pets real characters that have conversations with each other, although the humans can't understand these conversations. As someone who is gaga for my pets (seriously, I cook all my dog's food and let her sleep under the blankets in my bed), the
Kelley
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the other novels in this series, I feel like Cat's Eyewitness was actually a decent murder story. So for once, I wasn't reading just because I like the idea of talking cats. (Well, that was part of it...)

Call me judgmental, but I was expecting the religious subject matter to be too heavy-handed. Fortunately Brown knows how to write a mystery involving monks while sitting on the fence between pious and skeptical. I think Brown knows her characters so well that when I do read one of them
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Harry (Mary Minor) Harris and her best friend, Susan Tucker, find themselves at Mount Carmel monastery, if feels as if Providence has brought them there. Both are dealing with issues and emotions that threaten to overwhelm, and both hope that the peace of the grounds will help clear their minds. However, something happens...a statue of the blessed Virgin Mary begins to cry, apparently tears of real blood. Is this a miracle, or is something else at play here? When Susan's great-uncle, a ...more
Lynn
May 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Normally I love Mrs. Murphy adventures, but I felt this one was more a political statement than a Mrs. Murphy adventures. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it felt there was some serious author's bias in the book, and at time, the author's agenda was being pounded into the reader. Some of the pounding felt out of character for the characters, and some of it just felt that the author needed to voice her opinions and this was the way to do it.

I'm not giving up on Mrs. Murphy because I love
Beko
Jan 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
The blurb sounded interesting (kinda like 'Ms Marple wih cats') but unfortunately the book was boring and predictable. I knew immediately the murderer had to be Brother Mark, and was hoping for some genius plot twist that would reveal it was NOT him after all... in vain.
Also, too much talk about cars, and why would animals care about humans' religion, fashion or marriages?
Also, people who wear chinchilla furs and go fox hunting shouldn't call themselves 'animal lover'...
Regan
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I kept waiting for the mystery and sleuthing to begin....instead it was a lot of religion and angst about relationships. Then there was the "big reveal" that BoomBoom is gay -- and everything thinks it's great and the women all now think their marriages are safe because the town siren comes out as gay. Seriously? The cats were, as usual, entertaining.
Rdonn
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
My first Rita Mae Brown book with talking animals as well as humans. What seems like a fluffy mystery to read turned out to have lots of religious, philosophical and religious opinings which I found intrusive. I won't become one of Ms. Brown's faithful readers.
Glenkes
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
OK, I think I've had enough of these thin, dirivative cutsy-animal talking Sneaky Pie Brown books. Rita Mae Brown seems now just to be churning out Lillian Jackson Braun-level mush to keep her critters on Afton Mountain in feed. What's worse is that she can be--and has been--a brilliant writer.
Becky
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Harry's furry kids deserve all of the credit for solving this mystery!

Ironically, my furry kid kept nugding me during a mishap of the critters. I asked him, "Do you really know what I'm reading, and you wanted to be a part of it too?"

Angela (Kentuckybooklover) Brocato-Skaggs
I'm back to reading these after a several year hiatus and have found enjoyment in them again. I wasn't sure how I would like the change of Harry not working in a post office full time but it seems the story line will be just as interesting. Pewter by far is still my favorite character!
Amanda
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Little plot and a lot of showing off her facts about random irrelevant things. Parts read like a 6th grade oral report--like the bit where Harry recites statistics on VA's vineyard industry. I think it's time for a break from this series. Her writing has declined.
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Love Mrs. Murphy, love the book. I just wish Browne would stop injecting her politics in all her recent books.
Lindsey
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an ending!! This was a plot twist I never saw coming, and my jaw dropped. I figured out the murder mystery, but then Rita Mae Brown delivered a serious surprise related to a mystery from a previous book. I absolutely love it.

This series gets more and more fun with every book I read. I loved this story of the statue of the Virgin Mary suddenly weeping tears of blood at the monastery at Mount Carmel. Brother Thomas, Susan Tucker's great-uncle, was a very endearing character, and several of
Chrissy
Nov 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
At first, I liked the premise of the book. As a Catholic myself, it's nice to see Mother Mary and monks as the center of a novel. Also, I love the animal anecdotes. It's pretty cute and lightens up the story a bit.

Honestly, I really didn't like the quip about Catholic priests raping boys and the Vatican keeping Nazi Germany a secret. I know the main character is Baptist (which sadly are known for hating Catholics) but did the author have to add that in there? The pedophiles have been removed
Judy Hall
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harry and Susan both find themselves at the monastery of Mt. Carmel, looking for a moment of peace. When they stop before the statue of the Virgin Mary, they are shocked to find that she is crying tears of blood. The Abbot of the order asks them to keep it quiet while the "miracle" is investigated. The news leaks anyway and soon the monastery is overrun with pilgrims.

After a snowstorm blankets the area, Susan's own great uncle Thomas is found dead before the Virgin Mary. Harry being Harry, is
Cordelia
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Its been a while since I picked up one of these books, my local library only had so many, but I've found another library with a bunch I hadn't read yet!
In this mystery, our main characters are solving two murders and a miracle. The monastary setting was fine for the story, but I really had a time of it trying to keep all the monks straight. Too much refering to each of them by the title "Brother X" and a large number of them just made it difficult to keep track. I did solve it before the end!
Nancy K. Rea
Not her best

Different. The lesbian angle was bound to show up eventually, not a problem except to hint that Boom Boom at the age of thirty plus has realized she is gay is a bit much. People usually know their sexual preference early in life. Twelve books put her , not only heterosexual, but one who enjoyed that role. The book was a tad preachy on love and life. All that said I'm on to the next one in the series.
Diane Large
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favorite mystery in the series, but love the talking animals. Brown describes the beautiful area of the Blue Ridge Mountains perfectly. She has created strong characters with strong opinions. A little to political at times but that's the author's prerogative. I'll continue to read and enjoy Mrs. Murphy, Pewter, and Tucker.
Nataliec7
A nice little book. Not one I would have chosen so glad I got the chance to read it. I can imagine that the series is quite a good selection of books and maybe I will get to read the rest at some point.
I enjoyed getting to know Harry and Susan and the animals. All in all, an easy read.
Harriet O'Malley
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the cats. They discover the Virgin Mary is bleeding tears and also find a monk at prayer. The monk is related to Susan, whom he has left all his worldly goods. Harry and Susan think something is going on and they set out to find the truth.
Heather Ford
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Still one of my most beloved series!! The characters and location make me want to belong in the fictional community of Crozet.
Erica
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I usually love all of Mrs Murphy's books, but this one was a little boring and drawn out. Maybe I just didn't care for the subject matter. No bother, I'll still read the next!
Janice
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
the story only picked up halfway through the book.
Melissa
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cats, dogs
A statue of the Virgin Mary outside a monastery appears to be weeping blood. Harry and her human and animal friends solve the mystery. Recommended.
Tara Timmins
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The killer was too predictable in this one.
Sherry Ledet
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun with animals and murder. What else can you want? Add a dog of course.
Sheri
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious, mystery
Okay, the talking animals thing is annoying. I only finished it because I wanted to know who did it. I do like Harry, though.
Rebecca
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The loss of the post office setting in the previous book feels to me like a major loss to the series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • Wrong Side of the Paw  (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who... #11)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who... #12)
  • Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #7)
  • The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell (Cat Who... #28)
  • Pouncing on Murder (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (Cat Who... #19)
  • Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • The Cat Who Went Up the Creek (Cat Who... #24)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Talked Turkey (Cat Who... #26)
  • The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)

News & Interviews

“Every time you behold the Blue Ridge Mountains, every time you feel a snowflake on your eyelashes, every time you see a frog on a lily pad, every time a friend gives you his hand, Brooks, God loves you. You’re surrounded by His love. We look for it in all the wrong places as we pray for worldly success. We say that must be proof of God’s love. Some people pray not for material success but for an easy life.” He shook his head. “No, even our pains are a sign of His love, for they will lead you to the right path, if you’ll only listen.” 2 likes