Start by marking “Tokyo Heist” as Want to Read:
Tokyo Heist

Tokyo Heist

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  1,234 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Violet is thrilled when her father's new painting commission means a summer trip to Japan. But what starts as an exotic vacation quickly turns sour when a priceless sketch by van Gogh is stolen from her father's client and held ransom for a painting by the artist. The problem is that nobody knows where the painting is hidden, and until they find it, all th ...more
Published June 14th 2012 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tokyo Heist, please sign up.
Barry Agreed, but nevertheless this is a fun and interesting book to read! Although it may not be realistic, within the first ten pages I was totally pulled…moreAgreed, but nevertheless this is a fun and interesting book to read! Although it may not be realistic, within the first ten pages I was totally pulled in!(less)

Hwa Sun
May 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disliked, review, dnf
*Review based on only the first 100 pages.*

Warning: There's a tad bit of ranting in this review, so please go away if you don't want to be offended. That is all. Read on at your own risk.

I am so disappointed by this book. I had pretty high expectations, and it didn't meet any of them.

Here's the thing about me: I love a good mystery. There was a time when mystery was all I would read (I love Case Closed), and Tokyo Heist just didn't cut it for me.

The biggest issue I had was the overall believable
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Having taken an Asian Art course in college, and having spent my honeymoon in Tokyo and Kyoto, I was extremely eager to get my hands on TOKYO HEIST. I recently had the opportunity to read an ARC of this terrific YA mystery, and I enjoyed every moment of it, particularly the vivid descriptions of Japan, the clever mystery, and the complex, realistic family dynamics. Without giving away too much of the plot, I'll just say this book involves stolen artwork, a summer trip to Japan, sleuthing teens, ...more
Elevetha
The perfect mystery for fans of Ally Carter's Heist Society!

All I can to that is....

As someone who loves thieves and heists and everything that that usually entails, this was entirely disappointing.
Not only was the heist un-compelling, our MC, Violet, and sidekick, Reika, jump to conclusions and are entirely obsessed with manga(which MUST be brought up at least 5 times every chapter so the reader does NOT forget).

Their whole story screams unbelievability; two girls with absolutely no previo
Kay
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
From Seattle to Tokyo, Tokyo Heist takes you to beautiful Japan to solve the case of a missing Van Gogh. Art, squid chips, kimonos and a touch of romance are on the menu for this colorful adventure, in this novel by debut author Diana Renn.

A missing painting in Tokyo? If that doesn’t sound like the makings of a fun YA mystery, I don’t know what does! And sure enough, Tokyo Heist took me on a journey that entertained me from beginning to end.

I’ll get the bad out of the way right away and say that
Yusra  ✨
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
well, I read a YA book in grade 4... that's fine... that's normal
oops
Heather
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Super fun! I only wish it had a few illustrations. Yes, it's YA, so be prepared for plenty of suspension of disbelief, but it was quite enjoyable.
Liza
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
What do I feel about this book?

That is a very hard question for me to answer.

Now, normally, I wouldn't think of it being so. The plot is a mystery, Violet gets in over her head and tries to solve the mystery. Hooray!

Only, the problem is...this book has Japanese culture in it.

I will admit, as a huge fan of anime and Japanese culture, parts of this book made me cringe. And I will complain about it because...well, I need to get out my feelings okay!

So first off, Violet comes off as a hardcore weeb.
Merry Wu
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Tokyo Heist is about Violet, a sixteen year old aspiring artist and daughter of a famous artist. She accompanies her father to Japan and is dragged into a mystery involving a mysterious suicide, a missing van Gogh painting and yukata, Japanese gangsters.
I chose to read this book because it had an attention grabbing cover and title, and the blurb was very intriguing.
A setting that I found interesting was the inn that Violet went to in Arashiyama to follow up on a lead about the missing van Gogh p
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
*review published on Mundie Moms on 7/15/2012*

I love heist plots. They’re my absolute favorite and what I like best about reading them is the anticipation in wondering just how all the pieces of the puzzle will fall. My favorite theme in stories is anything involving families. Diana Renn combines both of those in Tokyo Heist and boy, does she do it well.

What I loved most about Diana’s book is that it’s not told from the traditional heist point-of-view (us
Elizabeth
Apr 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really hate giving a book one star, but after long deliberations (between one or two stars), I came to the conclusion that one star is an accurate, honest rating. I gave it one star because the plot is scattered everywhere, Violet was suppose to be sixteen but acted like a ten year old, and the pace was too slow from beginning to end. Also, there were too many different supporting character coming and going without a lot of them having any apparent value to the plot. Most of the characters app ...more
Katie
Similar Books: Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday, The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker

I'm not big into mysteries. But there was just something about this blurb that made me want to read this book. Maybe it was the mention of a protagonist who reads manga, or maybe it was the fact that 2/3 of the book takes place in Japan - I don't know, but I had to read this book when I saw the blurb last year. And thankfully, I wasn't disappointed.

This is one of my first ventures into YA mystery territory,
Liviania
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
TOKYO HEIST, available today, is Diana Renn's first novel. It's a mystery that takes protagonist Violet Rossi from the streets of Seattle to the ryokan of Kyoto. At first, I was very, very worried that I would hate TOKYO HEIST. The press release claims, "[I]t's the Di Vinci Code for the teen generation with an exotic Asian twist." That description made me cringe. Violet doesn't make the best first impression either. This is going to make me sound so old, but her bad work ethic annoyed me.

But the
Greis
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
You would think that a story about a girl recovering stolen art to give to a gang boss in Japan would be really interesting and exciting. In theory, it would be, but the reality is that this story was very dry and rather uninteresting.

The things that I loved about this story was the fact that this wasn't set in the United States and that there were so many characters that weren't white people. I loved getting submersed in Japanese culture and learning about certain customs and art, it was really
Rene Kirkpatrick
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought Tokyo Heist was great fun- I especially like the whole Seattle connection: Fremont troll, Space Needle, art galleries, comic stores...

When Violet, a manga reading, comic creating artist, goes to stay with her mural painting dad for the summer, she is plunged into an international art theft. Her dad has been commissioned to paint a mural for a Japanese company, the owner of which has had two small Van Gogh's stolen from him.

On the night of her dad's gallery showing, Violet sees two lar
Amber
Sep 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I reached 34% before I finally had to hang it up. The believability of this book was practically zero for me. I can believe the Yakuza being involved with criminal activities because they are organized crime and all but the main character destroyed what any other believability there might be to the story.

She's a naive teenager with no experience whatsoever in crime beyond her own imagination. No family members who were police, detectives, etc. no friends who work I'm crime solving. She's just a
Hafsah Faizal
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Originally Posted Here

Sixteen-year-old Violet Rossi is on her way to Japan for her dad's new mural project. A couple of days before they leave, she learns about a set of stolen van Gogh sketches. Once in the mysterious world of Tokyo, where she stands out, Violet and her best friend Reika set out to capture the art thieves and rescue the art. Violet's not doing it for the reward money the Yamada's have promised to anyone who finds their missing painting - she's doing it to get her dad to finall
Pamela Kramer
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Tokyo Heist" by Diana Renn is a shining success, from the cover of the book, with its title encased in what looks like neon yellow police tape, to the final page with its satisfying and touching conclusion.

The story is about Violet, who is a different kind of 16-year-old. She loves manga, wearing scarves made from kimonos, and anything Japanese.

So when her artist father (with whom she's spending the summer) is offered a job painting a mural in Japan, she is thrilled that she gets to go, too.

Bef
Brendan
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun, really engaging mystery with a lot of elements I enjoyed. 1.) artist protagonist, so there's fun stuff about the creative process 2.)Japan, so cool, interesting settings that allow for some awesome armchair travel 3.)complicated but important father-daughter relationship.

Don't let the somewhat hardcore-looking cover art fool you: this is a pretty lighthearted and gore-free mystery.

I would now like to address some of the complaints about the novel's lack of realism that I've
Sivi
Dec 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who enjoys a nice adventure where not very much happens
description

As far as I'm concerned, a unicorn could have appeared in this book and it would have made more sense than the whole plot. I'm surprised by how easily people let two teenagers in on their secrets (even police agents talk about an ongoing investigation).

The storyline is actually interesting, finding a painting that's been hidden for a long time. But there are so many random things in this book that it makes you lose all the interest you had in it (please, if KG was an actual manga, I wouln't rea
Jordan Funke
Feeding my obsession for east Asia, this art heist adventure satisfied me completely. The characters are lovable, the mystery is well executed, with a few contrived moments for the convenience of the plot. I expecially like how the protagonist uses her sketchbook to process what she is observing and learning through drawing it out as a manga. It was a little hard to believe that she knew absolutely no Japanese, since we learn that she is obsessed with Japan. Most kids will make the effort to lea ...more
Edelynn
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I (for the most part) enjoyed this book, from cover to cover. I am very sad to say, but let me start with the bad. I felt like this book sometimes fell into the situation where the book would rock me too sleep. But there were also a lot of pros. If you believe that this book had and interesting plot, you are correct. Even though this book was placed in modern day time, it still has thrill seeking moments which will keep you on your toes. This is great for people who exists in the world of geek f ...more
Amber
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun, light read. Don't expect a lot of depth, be ready to suspend your belief a bit (the nerdy 16 year old sure finds herself in amazing situations and with a lot of influence), and you'll enjoy it. I loved that the main character draws manga (I would love to read "Kimono Girl" if it were real!) and is a white girl nerding it out in Japan for the first time. All the art-heist stuff was just fun on the side.
Nicholas
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tokyo Heist is a very interesting crime book by Diana Renn. As this is her first novel this book has some cool characters that fit with the book. I love how the way how it was just a regular day but then suddenly something really interesting would happen. The book made me feel engaged in it so I never got bored of it and I enjoyed reading it. I love how the storyline goes which is very interesting. I highly recommend this book to all the people that like crime books.
Colleen Fauchelle
This story is about:

A mystery about missing piece of Art.
A struggling relationship between a Father and Daughter
Having a good friend in your life.
A boy - but not instant love.
A trip to Japan.

I didn't like the main character in this book at the start of the story. However as the story moved on Violet became less annoying.

Favourite verse
"It's different rain from Seattle rain. Quieter,softer,like an unseen hand is scattering uncooked rice.
Paul
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awe. Some!!!
Kimberly
Sep 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
One dimensional characters, improbable events, super simple to solve mystery.
Helen Peynado
Feb 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't even finish it. I tried.
Jake Gonzo
Sep 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was truable
Emma
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this one for the BookTubeAThon, but never wrote up a review, so here I am now!

I've been interested in reading this one for a long time. A mystery centering around a teenage girl, a stolen Van Gogh painting, and Japan just sounded too intriguing to pass up, so I'm glad I finally got a chance to read it. While it didn't quite live up to my expectations, it was still an entertaining enough read, and I can see both why people would hate it, or love it. I fell in the middle.

The main character
Tasha Robinson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here's one that's been on my shelves since before it was published, dating back to when I used to do a YA book column. Picked it up on a whim and read it in a couple days — it's a pretty light, fleet book, but it's thought-through and enjoyable, an art-world mystery that doesn't neglect its character development. It was a pretty plausible mystery — it has a large cast and a lot of moving pieces, and it kept me guessing about who the villain of the piece was — and there's an enjoyable look at wha ...more
  • The Nightmare Factory
  • The Marble Queen
  • The Mapmaker and the Ghost
  • Kiss the Morning Star
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • Fall to Pieces
  • Small Medium at Large
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • All These Lives
  • Money Run (Ashley Arthur, #1)
  • Chained
  • Cybernetic
  • League of Strays
  • Katana (Katana, #1)
  • Shadows Cast By Stars
  • A Breath of Eyre (Unbound, #1)
  • Spies and Prejudice
I write mysteries with international intrigue. My three YA novels featuring globetrotting teens -- TOKYO HEIST, LATITUDE ZERO, and BLUE VOYAGE - are published by Viking/Penguin. My newest project (for adults!), FALSE IDOLS, is an FBI thriller set in Cairo's glittering art world. Co-authored with Lisa Klink and Patrick Lohier, FALSE IDOLS releases in 2018 episodically (one chapter per week) on Seri ...more
More about Diana Renn

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Sometimes I Lie: A Novel
  • Force of Nature
  • Bonfire
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Monk's Hood (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Before the Fall
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)