Start by marking “Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)” as Want to Read:
Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)

Cat on the Scent

(Mrs. Murphy #7)

an alternate cover edition can be found here

It takes a cat to write the purr-fect mystery.

Things have been pretty exciting lately in Crozet, Virginiaa little too exciting if you ask resident feline investigator Mrs. Murphy. Just as the town starts to buzz over its Civil War reenactment, a popular local man disappears. No one's seen Tommy Van Allen's single-engine plane,
Published April 2000 by Bantam Books (first published March 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Cat on the Scent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat on the Scent

Start your review of Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
Cynnamon
This volume in the Mrs. Murphy series is about a reenactment event, somebody getting shot, somebody being drugged and killed and several murderous attacks.

Unfortunately I found this book quite boring and very much discriminating.

I read a whole bunch of the Mrs. Murphy series in the past and I used to like the books much more than this volume. So either my taste has changed considerably or this one is not up to the other volumes qualitywise.
Randee
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great story with the gang of three: Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter. In the seventh book in the series, the identity of the murderer does not interest me as much as the 3 animals interactions with each other. They never fail to amuse me. I have 3 cats and I could tell you which of my cats most mirrors in personality the 2 cats and a dog that help their human and the citizen of their town. I have # 8 sitting on my coffee table and still feel the enthusiasm and momentum of making my way ...more
Courtnie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, mystery, cozy, 2017
See, always trust Grandma. I should know this by now.

I am very close to my paternal Grandmother, she's always been my rock and my sunshine -she's laughed and cried with me through my whole life. We exchange books regularly. I will admit that she sends more my way than I send her - often times when I find something I want to share, she's already read it. That happens when you're 84 and a lifelong reader. When I visit there's always a tote bag by the door with books that she's selected for me to
Christyn
Cat on the Scent is not my favorite Mrs. Murphy book. I just felt that this book wasn't quite as - focused or interesting as some of the others in the series. I figured out parts of the mystery but it wasn't difficult - what really irritated me is that the villainous parties just got away scot-free. I mean, I realize this happens in real life but if we're talking about reality - what about the animals ability to not only understand but be able to drive a stick shift? I really wanted to see them ...more
Erin
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Crozet, Virginia is a small town that is about to get a lot more exciting. The whole town seems to be a buzz about the Civil War reenactment. But, a local man, Tommy Van Allen, has disappeared and no one has seen his plane in a few days. Things get worse when during the reenactment, a man gets shot. Mrs. Murphy along with her friends seem to be the only ones to solve the case.

The best part of this story was the interaction between Mrs. Murphy, Pewter and Tucker. The two cats and a dog worked
Marti
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, cozy-mystery
With most cozy series, my enjoyment increases with each one. However, in this series, that has not been the case. I found this novel ridiculous and even annoying. Ms. Brown put far too much of her own far right wing political views in for one thing. I might as well have been reading Ayn Rand! Then, too, the antics of the animals went too far into the stuff of fantasy for my tastes. Perhaps the greatest sin of all, however, is that there was no resolution or perhaps it was that the resolution was ...more
M Harris
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, the police did not get this one. So they pretty much let two (sort of 3) murders go without a fight. Disappointing. Well, this book didn't have a lot of suspense, and you know Sarah had to be involved and then H. Vane-Tempest to because the rest were dropping like flies. Not an ending I enjoyed. The part with the animals driving the Porche to Harry was my favorite by far! That part was great!
Jessie
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the book where you start meeting some real crazies who (MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!) get away with certain crimes. This is a first and while that's real life, it didn't sit well with me. I want justice to prevail! But then again, you don't know whether the crazies will come back in the future to finish what they've started...
Claudia
Apr 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
This was bad. Boy was this bad. This was embarrassingly bad. It was so bad it took me two weeks to read the 200+ pages. That's pretty bad. And I finished it more out of sense of guilt than interest. Plus it helped with insomnia.

I can't begin to express how bad this was.
Amanda McBreen
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not her best. Others are better by Rita Mae. The audio is fun to listen to.
Virginia
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book, but the ending felt a bit unfinished. Also, the author got into much more personal political opinions than was necessary or interesting.
Nancy
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book would have been more enjoyable had the plot been tighter and had the book not been peppered with gratuitous Libertarian claptrap.
Annie
Interesting conclusion for a series mystery ...
Lindsey
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rita Mae Brown and her fantastic feline co-author Sneaky Pie Brown have delivered another wonderful cozy mystery in the Mrs. Murphy series. Cat on the Scent features a Civil War re-enactment that results in the shooting of H. Vane-Tempest, one of Crozet's wealthiest citizens, who amazingly survives. From there, the residents (both two- and four-legged) of the town seek to find out if H.'s wounds were caused intentionally or accidentally. But when another wealthy neighbor named Tommy Van Allen ...more
Jae
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh dear...so much going on! So many bodies hitting the ground! This is not my favorite Mrs. Murphy book, although I did enjoy it overall. There are sneaky politicians, greedy rich men, trophy wives, possible drug deals, a Civil War reenactment, and Mrs. Murphy and her four-legged crew trying to make sense of it all! For me, this one was a tad too easy to figure out, but once you've established "sneaky politicians" and "greedy rich men" that's to be expected, I guess. The basic story was fun, if ...more
Shannon
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It was interesting to see Blair as a possible suspect and as a more flawed person. (view spoiler)
Eva
Oct 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
A cozy mystery where the villains get away with it? No thank you! And the side mystery that involved Aunt Tally was rather disturbing. I feel like this book forgot it's genre...

Also, so much eye-rolling at the 'War Between the States' nonsense and then an insinuation that African-Americans fared better under slavery than in the post-war reconstruction?! I remember reading and liking these books in high school, but apparently I did not pick up on the casual racism. :(

Elizabeth Savage
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Kelly
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Well, I flew through this book over the holidays. Not my favorite Mrs Murphy book because there are some truly insufferable characters and in my opinion, justice was not server, HOWEVER the antics of Mrs. Murphy, Tucker, and newly-added Pewter were just so funny, they had me laughing out loud! 2 stars for the plot but 4 for the animals.
Amy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
On the audio version, it was hard to keep track of the timeline, what with a third of the characters being animals and things not connecting from chapter to chapter. Also, my iPod kept skipping around, and I couldn't tell I was in a new part of the story. Too fragmented of a plot line, IMO.
Sherry Ledet
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rita Mae Brown knows how to write a mystery, but she also makes Mrs.Murphy, Pewter and Tucker so real you begin to wonder what your own pets are thinking and saying. It is hard to stop reading the next book in the series long enough to read something else.
Carol Layton
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This one is a little far-fetched--a dog and two cats driving a Porsche 911 is a reach. The story is interesting and light, but Brown is starting on a philosophical trend which is getting a little deep. Not my favorite of the Mrs. Murphy stories...
Karen
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Soooo.... they just get away with it? Without spoiling, I just have to wonder that one thing. Again, the animals are a great story on their own. This mystery was a bit confusing, and I'm not sure the killer(s) were caught?
Cyber Dot
Listened to this audio book on a road-trip. Picked it because of local interest, with its setting in Crozet, VA. Enjoyed the two cats and the dog. Very light, with lots going on and not all getting resolved.
Juliane
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not like this story too much. It dragged on forever, before something really interesting happened. When the story finally took up speed, it was over way too fast. The end was surprising to me, but I liked it.
Susan Ingraham
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series and have come to really like the characters. The books are an easy read. Postmistress Harry and her animal detectives will sneak into your heart. I decided to start reading from the beginning. There's a good mystery ,murder, and history in each book so far.
Elsie
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one let me down a little; it didn't draw me in like the rest of the series. Or maybe just because I figured the majority of it out before I was halfway through the book. Still like the series overall and the main characters (although character development was weak in this one).
Harry Addington
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good plotting and the animals are more amazing than ever. Little disappointed in the end.
Fred Nachbrunn
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A who done it that befuddles

The mystery to solve is who done it. The plot twists will befuddle even the ardent experienced armchair sleuth to the end.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
  • The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (Cat Who... #17)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who... #25)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who... #12)
  • The Cat Who Went into the Closet (Cat Who... #15)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
  • The Cat Who Saw Stars (Cat Who... #21)
  • The Cat Who Wasn't There (Cat Who..., #14)
  • Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (Cat Who... #19)
  • The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who... #11)
  • The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who... #22)
  • The Cat Who Went Bananas (Cat Who... #27)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
  • The Tail of the Tip-Off  (Mrs. Murphy, #11)

News & Interviews