Start by marking “Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)” as Want to Read:
Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)

Therapy (Alex Delaware #18)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  8,643 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
Jonathan Kellerman has made the psychological thriller his own gripping province with his bestselling series of Alex Delaware novels. Now, Delaware's new adventure leads the sleuthing psychologist on a harrowing exploration into the realm he knows best: the human psyche, in all its complexity, mystery, and terrifying propensity for darkness.
""Been a while since I had me a
Published April 20th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Therapy

Jerry
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uneven Delaware story -- almost too complex a plot...

Kellerman fans (the people that really know all his books), as opposed to the "professional" reviewers, will find this latest psychologist Alex Delaware novel, as usual featuring co-star gay detective Milo Sturgis, somewhat puzzling. If we didn't know Alex and Milo well, we might well find their characters enigmatic, with inconsistent action and a pursuit of the clues that borders on hobbyist. When a young couple is found murdered, with an unn
aPriL does feral sometimes
The idea that a double killing has occurred because of some 'unknown perp's' jealousy is turned upside down when the dead girl is not who everyone thought. Who was she? But the activities of the young dead man, Gavin Quick, identified by ID in his wallet, and the follow-up with his family has Homicide Detective Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware soon running down a dozen possible suspects. Not only is the Quick family devastated by Gavin's murder, they all were messed up from an earlier incident ...more
Cyn
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been finding many of the Alex Delaware novels somewhat 'meh' lately, but this novel redeemed the series a bit for me.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep up with the series because there are some things that grate on me:

The minute details of what a person wears, how they look, what they're eating, etc., etc., after 18 books of this, it feels a little over done sometimes.

Also, even though Alex Delaware is the protagonist of the series I actually don't feel a compelling connection with him as a c
Nancy
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book strained credibility for a few reasons: Milo can just pick and choose his cases, just because he was nearby eating dinner? Alex can partner up with him any time he wants to? Is Alex getting paid by the police department? Alex's sleuthing never conflicts with any other work obligations? The murders tied back to a connection in Rwanda? Really?
Steve
Oct 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh...really? I just wasted the last week on this. Entertaining...yes...sort of. Preposterous...yes ma'am. Absolutely ridicurous... Not the most ridicurous i've ever read (that's still The Langdon base jump from a helicopter and using his jacket as a parachute in Angels and Demons - although I actually liked that book). But come on...psychologists in a Rwanda-tied terror plot. Seriously? And does every character need a motive? Can't we meet one person (other than the strip club manager - who kne ...more
Rebecca
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psycho-killers
I used to say that all Mary Higgins Clark books were really the same book, but that was okay because, you know, it was still a pretty good book. That's sort of how I feel about this series. At this point I am just reading to spend time with Milo and Alex. The plots are ridiculously complicated and far-fetched, but if you like Alex Delaware novel(s), this one's between three and four stars. Even as I write this, I can't decide between three and four. All I know is it's much better than two.

A prop
Cynthia
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His books are all so good and quite creepy too. The only problem I have with Kellerman's books is there are so very many side characters, and some of them are mentioned only briefly (ex. not from book but generic) Milo had seen Freddy Kruger eating waffles at his favorite restaurant that morning and noted he seemed unusually pleased with himself as he polished his steel claw fingernails. Well, then 100 some odd pages later LO! Freddy is - not the killer because even that would be too easy - but ...more
Leslie
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Delaware is my favorite of Jonathan Kellerman's protagonists. I love his friendship with Milo. I always get wrapped up into his story and why he takes on cases - as much about his own issues as to help the people.
Astraia
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are some great and surprising characters in this book who unfortunately do nothing surprising. I think the reason I rated it so low is because the end disappoints. Prior to the ending, it is a page turning smart mystery. But you've got to have an ending.
Susan
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Milo and Alex. I have read all of Jonathon Kellerman's novels. I have to honestly say that the older ones are better. These read as short stories more than novels. The best part of these novels is the relationship between the detective and the psychologist.
Linda
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good summer read to relax with.
Sheryl
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#18 in the series (yes, I've read them all!)

This is one of the very best of the full series, in my opinion.
Joan
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Kellerman seldom disappoints. This Alex Delaware/Mile Sturgis mystery held my interest throughout and I read it in less than 24 hours.
Patrick
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 18th in the series. Kellerman at his best! Dr Delaware probes the psyche, keeping the reader on the edge of the seat. This is a dark look at the human psyche!
JUDY Ott
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The usualDr.Delaware mystery who diagnoses who the killer could be by the type of murder the perp has committed. As he learns thru clues from his partner in the police , the two find the guy or gal who has committed a heinous crime for some past wrong by another person. Amazing escapes from. By the criminal help to add excitement to the chase. In this book Dr. Delaware consults with other psyc professional who drop clues to enlighten the Dr, Delaware. Hunches are followed by both the doctored th ...more
Nerys Roberts
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Milo Sturgis has caught a strange murder - a young man and woman in a convertible car, both shot but the female victim has been impaled with an iron bar. So Milo asks his psychologist friend Alex Delaware to help. The find a connection between this crime and the murder of a young teacher - both she and the male victim had seen the same therapist. Milo and Alex continue their investigations and try to find the perpetrator and the motive behind the killings. Enjoyable read.
Ktbird
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom would be disappointed that I started with this book, instead of book 1, but it somehow ended up on my bookshelf and I decided to give it a try. I found it to be a page turner, containing evil characters balanced by likable ones and enough suspicious behavior to keep me guessing all the way to the end.
Kem
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is mostly A disappointment. There were a few interesting parts, but a lot of boring parts. A lot of discussions, a lot of speculation, a lot of bad guys at varying levels. It became a guessing game of who did what. Lots of whos and lots of whats to choose from. The closing was also very disappointing.
Haneen Alnahar
3 stars because the book was confusing and too detailed but it was amazing in the same time. I dont know how to explain it. Mr Kellerman is probably my favorite crime writer at the moment. Different and entertaining.
Marianne
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex and Milo, that intrepid duo are at it once again to foil the bad guys. All while indulging in eating, loving and clever dialogue. Reading this series is like visiting old friends. Trying to guess the villain is always a useless mind bending challenge. Always a surprise around the corner.
Barbara Rogers
I found this book in the series seemed to drag on and had a plot that was unnecessarily complicated. I felt he was filling pages a lot of the time. I still love the characters and will continue on in the series hoping this book is an anomaly.
Rita
Jun 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dan and I both read this one and agreed that we thought it had good initial storyline, but then it rambled too many directions.
Lorraine
Not one of my faves. But regardless I love Alex!
Mary Hammock
Not much action. Kind of slow.
497 Pages
Kelly ...
This one isn't one of my favorites of the series. Normally I love Milo who is gruff, tacky, sarcastic and brilliant. He bulldozes his way through each story, and he never fails to entertain me. I laugh at his whispered comments to Alex. I shake my head in exasperation at his tactless manner. And I love him more with every book ... except this one. Unfortunately here I found Alex and Milo to be comical and cartoonish. The story wasn't fascinating; the family of the victim wasn't likable; the myst ...more
Larry
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had just about given up on Jonathan Kellerman novels as the seemed to had become long and monotonous. However, I have to say that Therapy was quite a good novel. Good plot with decent twists and turns. Really develops the secondary character of Milo who is a gay detective.

So, guess that I'll be back for another try of Kellerman's books.
Wendy
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several reasons why buying a book in paperback is so much more worthwhile than going straight for the hardback. A paperback book is easy to lug around and fits nicely in my purse. A paperback is less expensive to buy, and if it is not quite as good as I had hoped, I feel less guilty about spending money on it than I do if I buy the book in the hardback edition. And yet, when an author I really like comes out with a new book, I can hardly wait to read the latest book, especially when I’ ...more
Mcrib
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About once a year I read an Alex Delaware novel. They are all pretty much the same; I enjoy them enough to keep coming back but I don't actively seek them out. A solid pick for me if I need something to read in a pinch though.

Here is every book in the series in a nutshell: A murder takes place in LA somewhere. The detective assigned to the case is Miles, who is gay, stocky, and loves to eat anything, anytime, and anywhere. For some reason Miles is (platonic) pals with Alex Delaware, a really bor
Alex Sagrado
The 18th in the Alex Delaware novel series and my 2nd Alex Delaware/Jonathan Kellerman book. Picked this up at a local Book Sale branch for only php40 (a little under a dollar). The first book in the series I'd read was Monster and I enjoyed that a lot more than this one. It left a greater impact, was more action-packed and had better character development.

Therapy is exciting in the first chapters but around the middle and towards the end, it becomes a bit of a tedious read. I've developed somew
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

ALEX DELAWARE SERIES' 2 15 Sep 05, 2009 03:42PM
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • Trouble
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)