Start by marking “Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)” as Want to Read:
Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)

Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  13,207 Ratings  ·  1,751 Reviews
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population, and those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery makeup . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Ar
Published April 24th 2012 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Masque of the Red Death, please sign up.

Bethany Griffin Sorry somehow I didn't see this. No, there are not more books planned in the series. I have a re-imagining of a different Poe story (the Fall of the…moreSorry somehow I didn't see this. No, there are not more books planned in the series. I have a re-imagining of a different Poe story (the Fall of the House of Usher) releasing in October, but no more stories set in the world of Masque. (less)
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,520 books — 15,794 voters
YA Novels of 2012
1,328 books — 10,687 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Ah, steampunk libertines! Who'd have thought they'd be so appealing?

Books that are heavily influenced by classic stories are always tricky, particularly when it's as ambitious an undertaking as a story inspired by the Edgar Allan Poe classic. I loved the lavish setting and moodiness of the original story, so I had my doubts that anything could come close to capturing its crazy vibe. But somehow Bethany Griffin has managed to create a very similarly dark, extravagant feeling in her gothic adapta
karen
i am unable to see magic eye puzzles. whether it is my astigmatism or whatever is miswired in my brain that was giving me that off-brand epilepsy some years back, i am not able to get the same joy as others out of those things.

but i enjoy the enjoyment of others.

and i was really excited to find this on the free shelves at work, knowing that other people had really loved it.

but for me, it wasn't a home run.i don't see it.

the premise is great - it is not a retelling of poe's story, but it borro
Lyndsey
Masque of the Red Death is oh so deliciously dark and twisty!

4.5 stars!

I adore dark, fantastical and overly dramatic stories. Who's with me? Let's go kick some flying monkeys, everyone! Kidding, kidding. Please guys, treat your flying monkeys with respect. Oz just wouldn't be as much fun without them.

The Rundown

Araby Worth lives in a chilling death-ridden world, where every day is a struggle to keep from contracting a deadly plague. Dead bodies litter the streets and air-filtering masks are ne
Tatiana
Mar 15, 2012 marked it as abandoned
Recommends it for: people who want to read another version of Wither
I really hate being a constant Debbie Downer, but, this is another throwaway, unfortunately. I've been unlucky with my book picks lately, as you can tell.

So, Masque of the Red Death. Conceptually interesting and, might I say, stylish - plague, porcelain masques, corsets, steam carriages, debauchery.

But why must it be, essentially, just like every other book that's been published in the genre over the last year or so? I've lost count of how many times I've read the same elements of this story:
Giselle
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, arc
Masque of the Red Death has been my most anticipated book of the year since I discovered it last September. I was obviously first attracted to it by its cover, followed by its premise that talks of a gothic setting, a plague apocalypse, and a Debauchery club… need I say more?

As far as steampunk novels go, this is easily my favorite. I absolutely loved the atmosphere throughout the story. The ruined city, the dangers in the streets, the masks, the disease; it's dark and it's dreary, with intrica
sana  °¤°
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
honestly? What the fuck did I just read? I'm 100% confused but I've never been so invested and eager to read on about something I don't fucking get. Idk everything seemed to jump from scene to scene without any explanation and I just liked it. There's shitty romance and characters, but the plot's intriguing though it confused me.

3.75 stars.
Kat Kennedy
Masque of the Red Death took a lot of risks. Firstly, it was based on Poe’s title of the same name. And as everyone knows, generally you just don’t go messing with Poe.

Poe with Skeleton

All I’m saying is that shortly before this was taken, that skeleton was alive and very apologetic, but ultimately doomed.

Secondly, it’s a young adult novel that features drugs, sex and alcohol. Thirdly, the protagonist, Araby Worth, is suicidal.

After finishing it, it doesn’t feel like a novel that I necessarily need to talk about.
Willow
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
There's a part of me that thinks maybe I've been too hard on this, but I'm going to let the two star review stand.

Araby Worth is the teenage daughter of a brilliant scientist who lives in the ritzy part of a plague city. Most nights she goes out with her vapid friend April to the exclusive Debauchery Club to do drugs and walk around. All the rich people wear masks and travel in steamcoaches to protect them from disease, while the poor wallow in dead bodies.

This story is mostly about Araby runn
Kelly
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We’ve all read the Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe. But have you ever wondered what kind of state the world would have to be in for such a tale to take place?
In Bethany Griffin’s gripping novel (which shares its title with Poe’s story) we are swept into the inner-workings of a bleak realm. The world has been devestated by a fierce contagion. Everyone must wear masks. Everyone is at risk.
I adored this novel and I’m still reeling from the last few chapters especially. Part Steampunk,
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Burn Bright
I was the first person ever to breathe through a mask.

Imagine living in a world where the most important thing you need to survive is also the very same thing that could take your life.
"I need some fresh air."
"Then by all means, go outside. If it doesn't clear your head, it will probably kill you."

Araby lives among the sick and dying. The only thing which separates her from the less fortunate is her accessibility to the air-filtering masks which are credited for sustaining life. Most peo
  • Glimmer
  • The Nightmare Garden (Iron Codex, #2)
  • The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1)
  • Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2)
  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
  • Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls, #1)
  • Incarnation
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • So Close to You (So Close to You, #1)
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • Starling (Starling, #1)
  • Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)
  • Above
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
Bethany Griffin teaches high school English and creative writing.
More about Bethany Griffin...

Masque of the Red Death (2 books)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
“I’ve perfected the art of the fake smile. It’s not so difficult when you are completely numb.” 122 likes
“And I'm falling in love with you," he whispers. "But I would throw you in the water and watch crocodiles tear you to bits, if I thought that doing so would accomplish my goals. Do. Not. Trust. Anyone. Especially me.” 118 likes