Start by marking “Don't You Wish” as Want to Read:
Don't You Wish

Don't You Wish

What if your mom had married someone else?

Would you still be you?

When plain and unpopular Annie Nutter gets zapped by one of her dad's whacked-out inventions, she lands in a parallel universe where her life becomes picture perfect. Now she's Ayla Monroe, daughter of the same mother but a different father - and she's the gorgeous, rich queen bee of her high school.

In this
Hardcover, First Edition, 357 pages
Published July 10th 2012 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't You Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't You Wish

Start your review of Don't You Wish
Nicola
Wow, I completely devoured this book! I genuinely loved it and hated having to tear my eyes away from the pages. Some parts were so intense and had me feeling nervous for the characters! Don't You Wish is a wonderfully written novel and so much deeper and thought-provoking than I excepted; while still managing to be a light and fun read. I was really intrigued by the description but what I found inside the book was even more interesting.

Annie Nutter is a nobody at her school. She's been deemed
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally appeared on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.

When my parents moved to the United States from Korea in 1974, they originally planned on moving back to Korea after my dad’s medical residency was finished.

Instead, for various reasons, my father accepted a job at a hospital in Western New York (the same hospital where I was born,) and they remained in the US, becoming citizens in 1981.

My parents’ decision to stay in the US and raise their children in the Rust Belt has been the root
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
I did wish. Often. I wished for a new life. I wished hard. It never came. Annie Nutter stole my wish and it came true. However, like any good make-a-wish story, her wish is not turning out like she thought.

She ends up in the body (and soul) of Ayla Monroe. A girl that has it all...money, power, boyfriends, the world at her beckon call. It's everything Annie could ever dream of...or is it?

As you can see from my review, the book has a few enjoyable twists and some great life lessons in it. What
Angela Shrum
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a warm heart or a complicated question of "what if?"
Shelves: favorites
(This book was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.)

Okay, I have a confession: I was a skeptic with this one. As much as the summary intrigued me and the cover reminded me of a girl on a TV Show I've been kind-of watching called "The Lying Game", there was a part of my brain saying it would be cheesy and bland and predictable, and that this kind of story was far too overdone in movies. But guess what? I was wrong.

Don't You Wish is an uplifting,
Best
THIS REVIEW ON B'S BOOK BLOG!

I received the digital ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher for review.

I slide on the sunglasses, covering my dazzling green eyes. Because this dream is so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Don't You Wishby Roxanne St. Claire tells a story of Annie Nutter, daughter of Mel and Emily Nutter, who wishes she lived a different life. When Mel comes up with a cool invention called Picture Perfect, Annie literally wakes up in the morning to a different life--the
Lyn  Ching
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
FOR MORE BOOK REVIEWS, PLEASE VISIT MY BOOK BLOG AT www.readingtsinoy.blogspot.com
THANKS AND HAPPY READING!

Annie Nutter is an "Invisible". A social outcast and perennial bag stopper (meaning people's bags stop moving when they hit her head). With only one friend in school, annie was unhappy. Her social status was non-existent as well as her lovelife. The best and worst she had was when the hottest boy in school asked her out for homecoming.....just so his dog had a "date".

Her mother on the
Charlotte
Be careful what you wish for....

Annie Nutter wishes her life was different. Unpopular and unpretty (or so she thinks), Annie is wishing she had the life of the popular, rich kids. Through a series of strange events, she gets her wish. Only, the life she lands in (Ayla Monroe's) is vastly different than her real one and she's got about 5 minutes to figure out how to live in this new one.

I really enjoyed this story. I thought I was getting into a cute, light story about wanting what you don't
Marie
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on my blog, Ramblings of a Daydreamer. You can find it, and many more reviews at the blog.

Don’t You Wish was a book that made me laugh, cry, swoon, cringe, fall in love, and realize how lucky I was in high school. This is another book in a long line of truly amazing, well written, and inspirational contemporary young adult books that has been released in 2012.

Annie Nutter is invisible, except when she’s being tormented by kids at school. She has a
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

**Some small spoilers ahead - nothing big!**

Annie Nutter is a ‘Nobody’ - that's literally what the popular kids call her (and others like her) at high school. She's considered unremarkable and not even worth acknowledging. Her family struggles financially, her mom is average, and her dad is a super-kooky inventor. Annie's social life is nil, and so is her love life.

One day - after a prank in which the most gorgeous, popular guy in
oliviasbooks
'Don't You Wish' would be the perfect base for one of those cute 'n fluffy American Teen Movies, which demonstrate that being popular, rich and beautiful doesn't equal being happy, unconditionally loved and free to do what you want.

The trick to open the unsatisfied heroine's eyes in this particular case is a magical mirror-smartphone-application-thingy invented by a Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Kids-style mad-scientist dad, which paired with the desperate wish for a different life transports the
Nicole
Don't you wish is the ultimate teen read with a little twist thrown in.

What if you were transported to a parallel universe where you were the most popular girl at school, had the biggest house and went to the best parties? Well, that is exactly what happens to our main character, Annie Nutter. Average and not one of the popular kids, Annie wishs to have all these people have and through a freak accident and a strike of lightning. She ends up in the body of Ayla Monroe, she has the same mother
Lauren R.
DNF at page 130. There's really nothing wrong with this book I guess, except it wasn't what I wanted. I love parallel universe books but that aspect isn't really obvious. Basically the girl gets transported to a universe where she's rich because her mom married someone else. Not sure how that gets resolved, but I don't want to bother finding out. The main plot is that she's rich and bitchy now; she steals stuff with her friends and has a shitty boyfriend. I don't like reading others being ...more
Syuhada
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl wishing to lead another life and it happened. It was a blessing in disguise for Annie Nutter when she woke up one day being a popular kid from a wealthy family instead of invisible kid in the school. But little did she knows the drawback of her wish..
A Canadian Girl
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, delacorte, 4-stars
At some point, every one of us has imagined what our life would be like if we were richer, smarter, more popular, etc. or where we’d be today if we had made a life-altering decision differently. This is the idea behind Roxanne St. Claire’s novel Don’t You Wish.

Partly because of its premise and partly because of Annie’s personality, I found it incredibly easy to relate to her. She’s your average teen with frizzy hair and a mouth full of braces, crushing on an unattainable guy and still growing
Nina
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Don’t You Wish is young adult chick lit at it’s very best! It is fun, cute and has an adorable romance, and is the perfect book to bring along for a day at the beach, in the park or anywhere else you hang out to read during summer.

I really liked Annie, both as Invisible Annie and popular Ayla. As Annie her life is incredibly boring, as Ayla her days are filled with the drama of the rich and popular, and the only thing the two have in common is Annie’s personality. As she starts living life as
Gisbelle
One of the fast-paced books I have ever read and enjoyed! I was hooked since page and it only got better as the story processed. It was funny in a silly way that I couldn't help but laugh. Yet there were serious scenes that got me thinking as well.

I loved Annie. Like seriously loved her. She stayed true to herself that even when she because the queen bee of the school, she rather gave up those statues just to be who she really was.

Charlie was also one of my most favorite characters in the book.
Katy
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a cute, fun read. It's your typical nerdy girl who wishes she was part of the in crowd and has an opportunity to live in a parallel universe when she realizes who she really is. Nothing special and totally predictable, but I liked it enough, and the last part of the book, especially the last chapter won me over, especially the end when the book came back in full circle with the bus scene.
Nadine
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. it is especially written for young people which I am not but still very entertaining and a fast read. wasn't sure how it would end but liked the convoluted conclusion.
nick
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

"How original!" was my very first thought when I came across Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire on Goodreads. When I saw that the book was available on NetGalley, I didn't hesitate once to request an ARC of it and I was super excited to have been approved! Unlike many of the books that I've had high expectations for, Don't You Wish was an utter delight !

Annie Nutter, our main character, is an "Invisible". She is a nobody at her school and is often
Amy Fournier
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
When I read the synopsis for this book I thought it sounded like a really great book. I liked the idea of her getting to experience the life she could only dream about. Be a popular, gorgeous rich kid instead of the invisible nobody with braces and freckles. I wanted to know how it would all turn out. This book is full of the typical cliches. The popular rich kids are the mean kids who everyone else absolutely worships. They can get away with anything and everything and they feel like they have ...more
♥ Sarah
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
2.5/5
description
description

This book felt like a slightly heavier version of You Wish. Not specifically because of its similarity with the plot, but for overall writing style, humor, generally good-natured message, and tone.

You’d think this book would be depressing. Or that Annie would have some serious, deep epiphany and there’d be this huge “a-ha” moment and then she’d have to deal with the consequences of her actions, but somehow everything would turn out OK. There’d be a happy ending, and she’d up with her One
sandee and her books
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY:

What would you do if you have a machine that would make you someone else, someone better than the real you? Do you think it would be worth it to give up on the things that you have now to be that person?

Annie Nutter wanted to be rich and popular. To be liked and loved by everyone at school. She wanted her crush to notice her. She got her wish, he did notice her but only to humiliate her.

Mel Nutter, Annie’s father was an inventor. He invented a device that would let you see what you would
Andrea King
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
Plain-Jane Annie lives with her inventor dad, depressed mom and annoying little brother. She’s a nobody at school, her dad is always rambling on about his latest crazy invention, her brother enjoys burping in her face and her mom is feeling blue and reminiscing about ‘the one that got away’. Annie starts thinking about how her life would be different if her mom’s ‘the one that got away’ was her father, then abracadabra, she wakes up as Ayla. At first everything is amazing; Ayla’s loaded and can ...more
Jana (My Messy Chapters)
^^ YES. The choice isn't as simple as you think. OMG. This was such an unexpected read and I am so glad I requested in on Netgalley (thank you!). This is probably my favourite read so far (I've read 9 books this month) and I just want MORE. A perfect contemporary with a little paranormal peeking in.

The concept was very intriguing. What if you were given a chance to live another life? To become popular? To have everyone worship you? Would you wish that? Annie Nutter is a 'nobody' and when she
Mitch
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, this was a cheesy read. Just look at the cover, look at the summary, Don’t You Wish is exactly as fluffy as I’d expected it to be. Of course, that’s not a bad thing, I like Annie Nutter’s, umm, cross dimensional story of becoming Ayla Monroe, and there’s even a pretty good message of being happy with who you are neatly tucked into this. But now that I’ve finished, I really don’t feel that strongly about this book, one way or the other.

Annie and her family I guess are kinda cute. She starts
Anna
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This review is also available at:

Review

Annie Nutter has what she thinks is a horrible life. Her Father works at a crappy job while trying to invent things that never work, her Mother is miserable living in their run-down, trashy house and she has an obnoxious little brother. Then one day the most popular boy in school makes a laughingstock of her on the schoolbus, her Mom sees the house she would've had is she's married her old boyfriend Jim Monroe, and her
Christine
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galley, ya
I thought I knew what this book was going to be about based off the summary. Oh, it’s another one of those “Freaky Friday” switch-a-roo books, I mistakenly thought. The only real reason I picked it up is because Roxanne St Claire wrote it as her YA debut novel. But I was wrong to force it into the same category as those books that share a similar plot. I should have known better. Serves me right, actually, for doubting Roxanne.

The first thing I want to point out is the SCIENCE in this book. It
Pooja (On books!)
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on my blog, On books!

You know what they say... be careful what you wish for ('cause you just might get it).

Annie Nutter is plain and invisible. She wishes, more than anything, she could be rich and glamorous until one day, when she is zapped by one of her dad's inventions and lands in a parallel universe where she is perfect and privileged Ayla Monroe. Annie learns that privilege and popularity come with a price and that maybe Annie Nutter had a thing or two Ayla Monroe
Emily Blake
*A copy was provided by Random House Children's Books in exchange for an honest review*

Coming in to this book, I was a bit nervous. I thought it would be a typical chick-lit novel, not exciting at all. But it wasn't. It was actually almost the complete opposite.

This book is amazing! I can honestly say I have never read a book like this begore. It incorporates contemporary, romance, alternate universes, and science. Who knew, right?! It's just such an original idea. The writing was amazing, the
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book far more that what I thought I would. This story is a big "What if?" You know what if I was rich instead of poor? What if my mom married another guy, what kind of daughter would I have been? What if I had a whole new life and wasn't the same? The answer to all of these questions and more are well explained. And the answers aren't quite what you expect.

I really enjoyed the aspect of waking up to a whole new life. New friends. New looks. New school. A whole new outlook of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• 52 Reasons to Hate My Father
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • The Surrogate (Brennan & Esposito, #1)
  • Black Lies
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • Never Enough
  • After I Do
  • The Princesses of Iowa
  • Hard as Rock (The Rock Star's Seduction, #3)
  • In Too Deep
  • Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters
  • Seeing Cinderella
  • The Wild Girls
  • The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die
I don’t know about you, but when I check out an author's bio, it’s usually because I’ve read a book I liked and wondered about the person behind it. Let's skip the formal bio and I'll give you the inside scoop on who Roxanne St. Claire really is.

First of all, call me Rocki. Everyone does. Evidently, when my mother brought me home from the hospital I seemed too scrawny and small to pull off “
“Money doesn't make you happy," Mom insists, whipping carrots and lettuce out of the cart. "Money doesn't make you laugh when you're lonely, or make you full of contentment on Christmas morning.” 4 likes
“He brushes my cheek, wiping a tear.
"From the soul or whatever indefinable part of you makes you Annie. I like that part." The pad of his thumb circles my cheekbone, and I can't take my eyes off his.”
3 likes