Start by marking “Megume and the Trees” as Want to Read:
Megume and the Trees

Megume and the Trees

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Fifteen-year old Megume wakes to find herself in the woods, with no idea of how she got there beyond a murky memory of chasing her lost dog, Sasurai. But with the pain of her past and her family fragmented after the death of her mother, Megume finds that she doesn't really mind being lost. Yet strange encounters with others in the woods - including Kat, a woman who seems s ...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Megami Press LLC (first published January 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Megume and the Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megume and the Trees

Desiree
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
As the Young Adult market has become ever saturated with light reads about “dark” romances and adventures with the flavor-of-the-moment paranormal/supernatural entity, Sarah Toshiko Hasu’s debut novella, Megume and the Trees, lays itself before the reader with a sober yet powerful question: What cost is escapism from your world and your inner turmoil worth? Do the ends justify the means, even if it means a final end?

The narrative thrives on questioning the line between reality and imagination, w
Gi-Gi
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank Sarah for sending me a signed copy of her book. I enjoyed every minute of her beautifully written story. I loved the style of writing as it switched from Megume's story to the letters her friend Emiko wrote her. Also how the story also incorporated so many messages along with the feel of how I used to feel while watching the twilight zone. Absolutely loved it.
Scott
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
dark and trippy, like a really good twilight zone episode...loved it! thanks goodreads for the complimentary book!
Lucy
Mar 27, 2012 added it
We were very kindly sent this wonderful magical book by the author Sarah. Having just finished reading it I feel conscious that I need to do the book justice through my review.

Our site is all about the positive side of being gay. To be honest I have been so lucky that I had forgotten how it felt when I was younger and struggled with my sexuality, that it was such a shameful thing and that those closest didn’t know me, the feeling of deceit.

This book focuses on a fifteen year old girl called Megu
Terry
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a very strange young adult novel. Weird, yet compelling. I wanted to finish to see where the young lady would lead us with this story. The author did a wonderful job writing through 15 year old Megume's eyes. Good descriptive prose, but somewhat hard to keep straight at times. Dark, serious, depressing work; one not easily forgotten.
Not a novel to be read lightly.
(Contains painful, yet important issues which teens deal with - self-mutilation, suicide, lesbianism, etc. Has a list of hel
Emily Rothbaum
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I purchased this for .25 cents at a garage sale. The best I can say is that it did have potential.
This is a dark work but for no compelling reason. Interesting issues and challenges were skimmed over or given the insight of a pre-teen in angst.
Once I began to follow the story, (it jumps around and around again), I found the plot disappointing and the expressions of painful emotions juvenile.
I looked for a follow up by this author and was not surprised to find none.
Jenn
Sal Noel
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Bought on a whim-was a teenage read and there are times that's just what I fancy. Some interesting and challenging issues brought up but skimmed over and could have been expanded on. So, some disappointment- overall seemed rushed but thumbs up for making an attempt. Would hope that this author develops over time.
Eva
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was a firstread giveaway. All though it was a short story it took me a while to read. It was a hard book to get into and to follow. Once I got into the plot I was disappointed it is a depressing story to read. The story jumps you around to much. I would start understanding what was going on and the events would change and I would be lost again.
Melissa
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I won this from goodreads.com
Miki
Pamela Frazier
Jun 27, 2016
  • Crooked Hills
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena
  • Bloodwood (Chronicles of Max Mayhem, #1)
  • The Ghosts of Stone Hollow
  • Fading Into Magic (Fading Into Magic, #1)
  • Forbidden Flowers
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Playing Well with Others: Your Field Guide to Discovering, Exploring and Navigating the Kink, Leather and Bdsm Communities
  • The Road to Her
  • Renfred's Masquerade
  • Twin Sense
  • The Shutter of Snow
  • The Good Patient
Sarah Toshiko Hasu is the author of Megume and the Trees, shortlisted for a 2012 Lambda Literary Award in Lesbian Debut Fiction. Her second novel Whitest Snow is forthcoming from Megami Press, which she founded in 2010. She lives in the Southwest with her dogs.