Start by marking “Of Fathers and Sons: Geoffrey Hotspur and the Este Inheritance (English Free Company Series, #2)” as Want to Read:

Of Fathers and Sons: Geoffrey Hotspur and the Este Inheritance (English Free Company #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Geoffrey Hotspur, orphan-squire and ward of the powerful John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, longs to return home to France. Having fought in the ranks of the now disbanded papal armies in Italy, he finds himself penniless and stuck in a foreign land far from his native Avignon, with only a resentful and unscrupulous debt collector as companion. Above all, though, Geoffrey f ...more
Published December 6th 2012 by Knox Robinson Publishing (first published September 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Of Fathers and Sons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Fathers and Sons

Erin
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Before picking up Of Fathers and Sons I'd never heard of the Italian House of Este so forgive me, but much of my admiration for this piece stems from history that came to life under under Evan Ostryzniuk's pen.

I can't imagine what a daunting task recreating the late middle ages is for a fiction writer, but Ostryzniuk manages it well, balancing the atmosphere and political tension against the culture and feel of Italy in the
Michelle (True Book Addict) Miller
Evan Ostryzniuk has written a meticulously researched book of historical fiction. Not only has he done this, but he has given us characters that we can really care about. Niccolo of Este is probably one of the most endearing characters I've read and it was interesting for me to learn about the Italian house of Este. And Geoffrey is also a great character. Putting these two together in the story is storytelling at its finest.

As I've said previously, what I think is important about historical fict
Inna
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody, who loves historical fiction, late middle ages and adventures
I like this historical period and thanks to this book I learnt a lot of amazing facts about the late middle ages. The characters of the novel are filled with life, emotional, passionate and sometimes funny and I fell in love with them. Especially I enjoyed realtionship between Geoffrey and Jean, their friendship is a bit unusual, and I'm looking forward to reading how it develops in the next book of the series.
Eileen Hall
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A well told adventure story set in the Italian Renaissance era.
The descriptions of life during a bloody time in Italy's history are vivid and the characters are believable.
The only criticism I would make is that it seems to be written in a modern style which sometimes detracts from an otherwise exciting tale.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Endeavour via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
vvb
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this time period and setting so it was not hard to like this book at the start. Journeys and coming-of-age themes also captured my interest in this story.

The descriptions of the setting, action scenes and interactions between characters really drew me into the story.
DeniseF
Oct 20, 2011
Janet Pletcher
Jan 27, 2017
Evan Ostryzniuk
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dec 08, 2011
Jul 11, 2016
Stuart A Hall
is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2017
Evan Ostryzniuk is the author of the Geoffrey Hotspur series of historical fiction novels set in the late Middle Ages. The first two: Of Faith and Fidelity and Of Fathers and Sons were published by the UK's Endeavour Press in 2015 and 2016 respectively. They can be found here: amzn.to/21Ga8Nh and amzn.to/1Tf46Sx.

Evan was born and raised in western Canada, where he attended the University of Saska
More about Evan Ostryzniuk

English Free Company (3 books)
  • Of Faith and Fidelity: Geoffrey Hotspur and the War for St. Peter's Throne (English Free Company #1)
  • Of Relics and Romance