Start by marking “Criminal (Will Trent, #6)” as Want to Read:
Criminal (Will Trent, #6)

Criminal

(Will Trent #6)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  35,999 ratings  ·  2,578 reviews
Will Trent is a brilliant agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Newly in love, he is beginning to put a difficult past behind him. Then a local college student goes missing, and Will is inexplicably kept off the case by his supervisor and mentor, deputy director Amanda Wagner. Will cannot fathom Amanda’s motivation until the two of them literally collide in an ab ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Criminal, please sign up.
L8blmr I respectfully disagree with the other answers. To truly understand Will Trent, I believe you need to get to know him slowly over the course of the pr…moreI respectfully disagree with the other answers. To truly understand Will Trent, I believe you need to get to know him slowly over the course of the previous books. Parts of him are revealed in each story that allow the reader to appreciate who he is and how profoundly the events that transpire in Criminal affect him.(less)
Cheryl
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  35,999 ratings  ·  2,578 reviews

Start your review of Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
Meredith
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: overdrive
“Sometimes it’s criminal what a woman has to do.”

Criminal is the 6th book in the Will Trent series. It is also my favorite book in the series (so far)!

Chapters alternate between the past in the 1970s, to the present. The past covers Amanda and Evelyn’s time as rookie police officers. In addition to fighting criminals, they have to battle constant sexism, as they are seen as less than by their fellow officers on the force. The 1970s Atlanta Police Force is divided by race, sex, and
Julie
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Criminal by Karin Slaughter is a 2012 publication.

I was making great progress with this series, but got sidetracked somewhere along the way, but hopefully, I can get back on track now.

Wowza!! This is an amazing installment in this series and might be one of the best so far.

Will and Amanda’s backstories are examined as we trip back in time to the mid-seventies when Will’s father is making a name for himself, and not in a good way.

This story explains how and why Amanda knows Will so well, an
Susanne  Strong
4 Stars.

The Past Never Stays in the Past..

Will Trent’s past has been kept tightly under wraps. Lock and Key actually. He remembers it though he hardly ever talks about it. It turns out he has his reasons.

Will’s father has been in prison for his entire life. Till now. Unfortunately for Will, his boss Amanda Wagner kept that little fact from him. He discovers it for himself when he turns on the news and discovers that a young college girl has gone missing and when he is kept from investigating th
Mary Beth
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read a lot of reviews and a lot of people said that this was their favorite book in the series. I will have to disagree on that. To me it was very slow. I do love Will Trent and he is my favorite character and the only reason I gave it 4 stars is because I really learned a lot more about Will Trent and loved this part of the story.

The story keeps going from the year 1975 to the present. It changes back and forth and if you didn't keep an eye on it, it could get a little confusing. We lear
♥Sharon♥
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I am not sure what else I can say about Will Trent. I love who he is.

photo 660b1328-bc2f-4cc5-be62-97e41083cc42_zpsligch1wv.jpg

I should have been prepared for what was revealed in Criminal but I wasn’t. I shed tears for Will, felt anger towards Amanda and I really wanted to scratch out Angie’s eyes. Grrrr she makes me so angry.

There is so much that is revealed and a lot to process. I really had to pay attention.

The story is told between the past which is in the mid-70’s and the present. The past reveals things about Amanda and Evelyn and other’s
Beverly
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I eagerly anticipate every single book by Karin Slaughter, and she's never let me down when it comes to Will Trent and Sara Linton--and after last year's fantastic Fallen, I was really excited to read her new book. Criminal is, however, my least favorite book by this author yet, and the first book in the Georgia series that I've rated less than 4 stars. After thoroughly enjoying each of the previous (12?) novels in this series, it's something of a shock to find myself with such mixed/n ...more
*TANYA*
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
My favorite book in the series thus far. FANTASTIC! The intricacies of this story was off the charts!! VERY EMOTIONAL!!! Heart wrenching!! On to the next one!!!
Jonetta
When a college student goes missing and Amanda Wagner refuses to let Will Trent participate, ensuing events resurrect the case that launched her career and expose the roots of his parentage.

The story transitions between the present and 1974/1975. Whatever I previously thought about Amanda Wagner and Evelyn Mitchell was upended here. Their early obstacles faced as the first women in a police department run rampant with sexism and racism were daunting. The fact that they not only persevered but s
Scott Archer
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspence
Slaughter needs to rethink the series going forward. I had many problems getting through this book.

1. The actual criminal plot takes forever to get moving. Too much of the first half is devoted to the ongoing personal sagas that are pretty much identical for each character as in earlier novels (e.g. Will's inability to articulate or share problems with Sarah, Will's dyslexia, Will's absurd attachment to his witch of an ex-wife). It's like a broken record. A good police thriller should at least
D.B. Woodling
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
The sheer fact that Will Trent survived birth is a miracle in itself. Dyslexic, uncertain, and orphaned from day one, he is banished to a rudimentary orphanage. Will beats the odds and becomes a gifted agent for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Refusing to cut ties completely with his drug-addicted wife or end his obsession with his mother’s violent death, Will seems incapable of outrunning his past.

Forty years following the kidnapping, rape, and murder of several Atlanta prostitutes, the ho
Mo
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite

"You know how it is with men.
Sometimes it's criminal what a woman has to do."

This was hovering at a four star for most of the book due to the fact that I was not too keen on the 70's theme. But, it had to be done to get to the in's and out's of the matter. Will's background, Amanda and Evelyn's early years in the Police Force.

No one wanted Will, either. He'd spent most of his early life being checked in and out of the children's home like a dog-eared library book ...

This book has a dual
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
This might just be my favorite in the series!

I really enjoyed the back story, getting to see where Amanda and the girls started, how they had to fight to get acknowledgment. I must say the research Slaughter put in to make this book so amazing was just astonishing. You get to live in 1975, that's how good the portrayal is.

This series is really one of my all time favorites! Slaughter kind of dedicate each book to a different character and we get to know the in-depth story about them. This book fo
Heather
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was like an amazing and crazy rollercoaster ride - only better. It took off right from the first page and kept up the excitement right up to the last word on the last page. Karin Slaughter is a master storyteller and when I read her books I feel as though I’m watching a movie. A creepy, gory, shocking movie but with characters that I have grown attached to and want the best for. This book was perfection. She doesn’t leave any loose ends and just leaves me wanting to read more. Another ...more
Lisa
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Criminal by Karin Slaughter is a fabulous continuation in the Will Trent series the characters jump right out at you & the pace never misses a beat. I love this series & she never disappoints.

we also learn more about Will his birth & we also find more out about his uncle & father which blew me for 6.

Lucy Bennett was found dead in an apartment in Atlanta she was a drug addict & prostitute her pimp Juice gave her anything she wanted as long as she did her thing..

Her blood stained body bears a star
Stephanie Nicholas
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Wow! Just freaking WOW!

This book took all the loose ends from the past Will Trent mysteries and tied them together, giving us a full picture of Will and his past, Amanda and hers. If you haven't read any of the Will Trent mysteries, you don't have to read them in order, but it helps.

In Criminal, we have two timelines going on. One follows a string of bruuuuuutal murders in 1975, and another occuring in the present day. I won't go into details to spoil the story, but I had to take breaks with th
Andrea
I love Karin slaughter books,for me this one was lacking I would give it a 3.5 rating.it was slow and not so keen going back in time.and missed the gritty parts of the book.wanted to know about will and sara lets hope it gets back on track in her next book.
♥Rachel♥
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This installment takes us back to the past where Amanda (Will's boss) and Evelyn first team up and work on their first case. Their case in the past ties into the case being worked in the present, and it all involves Will. Both cases were pretty engrossing. I now know why Amanda is a tough bitch, and I don't blame her one bit. It's appalling if that's the way women were treated on the police force back in the early '70s.

Criminal sheds more light on Will's history.(view spoiler)
Miriam
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars audio
5++++++++ fucking awesome stars story!!!
Debra
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know I am most likely in the minority here, but this book was just okay for me. It did not move as fast as previous books in this series. Plus, I wanted more of Will and Sara.

This book does give us a lot of information on the back stories of several characters: Amanda, Evelyn and Will. We, the reader, are shown how Amanda and Evelyn started their careers as police officers. How their friendship evolved, how the investigated their cases, what it was like to be a woman officer in the Seventies.
Linda
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read Karins books from day one. I love the characters so much they feel like old friends.
In Criminal we discover a whole lot more about Will Trent, the circumstances of his birth who his parents are/were and more about his life as a small boy.....oh and some murders along the way. We also find out about his boss Amanda's early life in the police force where it was obvious women weren't welcome. Told in present and past (1974) time, this was, to me, yet again a wonderful piece of story tel
Ariana Fae
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CRIMINAL by Karin Slaughter can be summed up by Lee Child’s blurb on the cover of this book:

“Karin Slaughter’s best yet by far: All her signature strengths are amplified a hundredfold by the past explaining the present. Reading the book was like watching a great athlete having a career year”

I had one word to describe her talent when it came to writing this story “genius”.

Even better this formula:
Will Trent series + Grant County series + Cop Town = ONE AMAZING & RIVETING STORY

I loved how deftly
Jean
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
1975: The Vietnam War ended. Gerald Ford was President. Margaret Thatcher was chosen to lead the British Conservative Party. Jimmy Hoffa disappeared. Patty Hearst was one of America’s Most Wanted. Women and blacks in the Atlanta Police Department – and probably elsewhere in the US – had an uphill climb.

Criminal, the sixth novel in Karin Slaughter’s Will Trent series, is alternates between 1975 and present day Atlanta. In the unhurried double story line, Ms. Slaughter constructs two paths, brick
Angela Risner
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I love Karin Slaughter's books and her characters. I was excited to receive this book before the date of publication.

This book focuses on way too many storylines and characters:
1. We have Will Trent, who is still married to Angie, still in love with Sara, still in angst over his childhood.
2. We have Faith's mom, Evelyn Mitchell, and Amanda Wagner, Will's boos. Both are featured in present-day chapters as well as flashbacks to 1975.
3. We have five prostitutes who have disappeared or were murdere
Piper
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Loved this one!! It took me forever to read it- but only due to personal circumstances. I may come back with a full review later. Right now though- I'm moving on to Unseen.
Terence M (Spring is in My Step!)
The following is my review of (Will Trent, #5), "Fallen". Please note my comments regarding narration and their relevance to (Will Trent #6), "Criminal".

1-Star - DNF @ 35% due to very poor narration.

Audiobook - 12:35 Hours - Narrator: Jennifer Woodward
I listened 04:15 Hours (4 CD's) of this audiobook, but finally I gave up, not because I didn't like the book, but I simply could not understand the narration by Jennifer Woodward. Almost every character sounded the same, with not even a slightly de
Dotti Elrick
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and this author. This new book is no exception. It was amazing.
In Criminal, we learn a lot about the parents of GBI Investigator Will Trent. And Will finally gets some of the answers he's been looking for. He learns a little more about the strange relationship he has with his boss Amanda Wagner.
This story is told in two parts. Two crimes that take place 30 years apart. Both involving Will and Amanda.
Atlanta, 1975, women are not a welcome or wanted part of the Atlanta Police
Janet
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Speeding along in this series and I have now completed book five!! This book predominantly focuses on Will and Amanda and their back stories. The advantage of reading a series back to back is that I have been completely able to submerge myself into the characters with no need for refreshes.

The book flips between timeframes as we delve into Amanda's early career and today's events as it becomes clear that cases are past and present are bearing a stark similarity. As always Slaughter weaves a tang
Marty Fried
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of the gang from Atlanta, you'll have to read this. It tells about the history of Will, his boss at the GBI Amanda, his partner's mother and Amanda's friend Evelyn, not to mention Will's mother, father, and uncle.

The story takes place during several timelines, one of which is "the present". It gets confusing at times, especially with an audiobook, and takes a little getting used to.

There is the ever ongoing backstory of the evolving (and devolving) of the romance between Will a
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
5 BIG STARS - I never thought I'd be rating a thriller about a horrible serial killer this way but the plot and character development in this and the previous Grant County series is AMAZING. Two words... Will Trent.. the most unique, resilient and endearing hero I think I've ever read. In each instalment of this series we learn more and more and unwrap layer by layer these characters' lives.. the abovementioned Will, loyal Sara, feisty Faith and the veterans Amanda Wagner and Evelyn Mitchell wit ...more

• Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • One by One
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • The Other Mrs.
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE LAS ...more

Will Trent (10 books)
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • Unseen (Will Trent, #7)
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent, #8)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)