Start by marking “The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)

The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,844 Ratings  ·  427 Reviews
N. D. Wilson, author of Leepike Ridge and 100 Cupboards, returns with an action-packed adventure that will captivate fans of both Percy Jackson and Indiana Jones with lost civilizations, ancient secrets, and buried treasure.

For two years, Cyrus and Antigone Smith have run a sagging roadside motel with their older brother, Daniel. Nothing ever seems to happen. Then a strang
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon's Tooth, please sign up.

Anna Shier I did, but warning: the third book ends oddly and while I heard rumors of two more in the works, nothing has come so far. But if you don't mind the…moreI did, but warning: the third book ends oddly and while I heard rumors of two more in the works, nothing has come so far. But if you don't mind the currently ambiguous ending, it's worth it.
Fair warning: The series, particularly the 3rd book, has a lot of Christian imagery. As a Christian myself, this was part of the book's impact for me. But I recognize that not everyone likes that, so if religion bothers you, go into it with that knowledge.
I think it's worth it even if you aren't religious.(less)

Mike (the Paladin)
Another in a line of mediocre books I've run on lately. This is one of those been there done that books that slid over into boring very quickly for me.

I will say this, if you are a young reader and haven't read many, many books that criticism may not apply to you. If so you'll probably enjoy the book much more than I did.

The writer here seems to be very concerned that we won't get where we are or what's going on. We get long and finally tedious descriptions of places, people, actions and so on.
Kat Heckenbach
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit, I almost gave up on this book after the first few chapters. NOT because the writing was bad, but because it jumped around too much, reminding me of watching my son play video games on the computer. And it had one of my pet peeves: a false sense of tension created by characters talking in circles and riddles.

BUT.

A friend encouraged me to keep going. I am so glad I listened to her.

Only a little farther than the point where I nearly gave up, questions started getting answers. The situation
Issabella
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it was totally enthralling and I was clinging to the edge of my seat half the time. I would recommend it for older kids, because of how realistic some of the plot-twists are (i.e. they find skeletons drawn on pictures of their family; human experimentation; etc).
I really like the mix of good and evil and mystical items. One thing that I was a little disappointed in at first, and later impressed me was that there was a very obvious bad-guy side, and then there were a couple neu
Rosanne Lortz
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dragon’s Tooth, by N. D. Wilson was released about six months ago with much fanfare and excitement. I had enjoyed a couple of Wilson’s other children’s books, Leepike Ridge and The 100 Cupboards, but my disappointment with books 2 and 3 in the 100 Cupboards series made me reluctant to attempt The Dragon’s Tooth. When the fanfare subsided, I pretty much forgot that the book existed. Earlier this month, however, my six-year-old nephew proudly showed it off to me as the longest book he’s ever r ...more
Hannah
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa. If bookstores were theme parks, this book would be the 4th dimensional roller coaster ride with the long lines and the kids standing on tiptoes to meet the height requirement. I think my knuckles are still white.

Mr. Wilson wastes no time getting the plot moving, and within the first few chapters, Cyrus Smith, the likable pre-teen protagonist, has already experienced electrocution by a magical insect, an escape from a motel fire, the death of a mysterious tattooed stranger, an attack by un
Michael
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read August 29th, 2011 and again in fall 2012.

It was like a Bourne movie meets Goonies. I could barely take a breath. People who love that will love this book, it was one of the busiest books I've read. I prefer slower character development between the action , but of course, that's a preference. It reads like a movie script at times, which doesn't always work.

I think Wilson owns this genre. It wasn't anything like 100 cupboards (which I have read through twice), but just as good, and that s
Gwen Burrow
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Every title has a promise, and this one promises a lot. N.D. more than fulfills it.

His word-craft is to our imaginations what a flaming match is to gasoline. Dialogue so yummy. Images that leap off the page in 3D. Characters you want to meet. Characters you want to kill.

As always, Wilson’s voice is distinctive first and foremost because his view of the world is distinctive. His words crack like bones and strike like lightning because he sees a world where darkness is real and death has dug its
Douglas Wilson
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had the privilege of reading this in manuscript, and it is just fantastic. Look for this book to release this summer -- August, in fact. The Dragon's Tooth is the first in a series of five.
Hannah Jayne
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's fast and there's a lot.

Such imaginative adventures. Adventures of a secret steampunk-esque society somewhere around rural SE Wisconsin, with a mix of history and mythology and a couple of utterly confused kids just going with the flow. Of rapids. Because some immortalized creep is after them and their family.

I was mildly concerned at first. Character's drive my love for books and these kids were not instantly likeable to me. They argued and antagonized and complained instead of saying than
DNF with Jack Mack
Gross, uncomfortable, and immature, audiobook DNF at forty minutes.
New Group! Join the Order of Brendan! 1 7 Jan 26, 2014 03:44PM
Similarities to Treasure Island 2 4 Dec 07, 2013 01:11PM
Dragon's Tooth Questions 2 20 Nov 23, 2012 04:31PM
Dragon's Tooth Book Trailer on EntertainmentWeekly.com 1 17 Aug 05, 2011 08:45AM
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • Evangellyfish
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Crater (Helium-3, #1)
  • Floors
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • The Mostly True Story of Jack
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • The Boy at the End of the World
  • The Flint Heart
  • City of Lies (The Keepers, #2)
  • Wise Words
  • The Dragon of Cripple Creek
  • Troubletwisters (Troubletwisters, #1)
  • Dragon Castle
  • Cold Cereal (The Cold Cereal Saga, #1)
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)

Ashtown Burials (3 books)
  • The Drowned Vault (Ashtown Burials, #2)
  • Empire of Bones (Ashtown Burials #3)
“That wasn't me. I'm not a morning person. There's another person inside of me that does all the morning things.” 21 likes
“Horace smiled. "Always breakfast like a man condemned. One never knows that a day may bring.” 8 likes