Start by marking “The Night Off” as Want to Read:
The Night Off

The Night Off

Emily Parker has a busy life over which she maintains iron-clad control. Raised by drug-addicted parents, she’s used to taking care of the people around her, to the exclusion of her own needs. But not tonight. After years of celibacy, she’s ready to pay for exactly what she wants: to surrender control, by having it taken away.

Having worked as a high-priced escort for years
Published July 17th 2012 by Bold Strokes Books (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Off

Start your review of The Night Off
Carrie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I do this to myself. I pick these books that are high on the sexual activity spectrum even though I can barely get through scenes without blushing and having to skim read.

What did I expect from this book that was published in 2012? A lot of explicit scenes. Because I did read this author's most recent book 'The Sex Therapist Next Door.' But I got a lot more.

I literally cried hard. Ugly cry. The romance aspect of this book really kicked me in the gut. Oh the ANGST when done SO R
Alexis
I started reading this only to remember that I read it ages ago and never marked it as read or reviewed it so here goes.

If you're a fan of erotica with a truck ton of dirty talk then this is the book for you! This book has one of the longest and hottest sex scenes I have ever read. There is also bit of BDSM involved but nothing too extensive.

The relationship in the beginning between Emily and Nat to me had a little bit of an insta-love feel to it but they do have a very intense connection so tha
Rebekah Weatherspoon
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
some might think this is a bit of a biased review because i know Meghan and im a little bit in love with her, but the truth is this story is just plain hot. i loved Thirteen Hours, but The Night Off, not only takes that level of sexiness up a notch, but i found these characters to be more likable.

i loved that Nat was a butch with a heart. i hate reading about butch lesbians that are cold and standoffish as if that being a dick is just part of being butch. Emily is totally my type --i love a sex
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Emily Parker has a busy life both as an accountant and taking care of her younger sister. One night, she decides to relinquish her control and pay an escort to help her forget all her obligations. Nat Swayne is a high-priced escort who behaves professionally to fulfill the fantasies of women without ever becoming emotionally involved. That is, until the night she meets Emily when all her hidden feelings start to spiral out of control. If only she could convince Emily to give them a chance…

Meghan
Lexxi Kitty
This is the fourth book that I’ve completed written by Meghan O’Brien. Only took me roughly 3 years to read those four books (December 2013 to September 2016). And this is the first I’ve read in nearly 2 years. Must hate or only mildly like these books, eh? Or, possibly, these are the only 4 books by O’Brien?

Well no. There are apparently ’17 distinct works’ by this author. And I’ve given all 4 books I’ve read by O’Brien 5 stars (including this one here). Actually I gave this one a rating of 5.5
hubsie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to a GR friend's review, I decided to give this a go even though Ms. O'Brien's erotica is not a personal preference of mine. And I am glad I did because this had a surprisingly deep story embedded in all of the sex. And holy shitballs is there a LOT of sex.... raunchy, crass, BDSM, 77+ pages of one encounter, etc etc etc. This led to a fair bit of skimming for me, and those familiar with this writer will know what to expect.

Ms. O'Brien is a very good writer, no doubt about it. I was very tou
Tara
Very hot, but very emotional. I liked how even though they move to love very quickly, both characters acknowledge it. One of my favourite books so far this year.

2016 reread: This book is still amazing and the breakup scene hit me just as hard as it did the first time. Full review here: http://www.thelesbianreview.com/night...
C. Mack
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Yes, wow indeed! Hot, sexy and naughty without being too much, all wrapped in a good story that elevates this from erotica to something brilliant. M O'B has achieved the incredibly difficult feat to create a well balanced erotic romance.

Yep, just re-read and I concur with my previous statement!
Eliza
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read this one but I'd give the first half a perfect score for the wonderfully hot and kinky sex but I really lost interest past the 65% mark, the drama was not for me, I just wanted more sub/dom fun really.

Meghan O'Brien remains in my top five lesfic authors though, 'Her Best Friend's Sister', 'Camp Rewind' and 'The Sex Therapist Next Door' remain some of my favorite erotic novels.

I'm going to give it 4 stars simply because of the first half of the book.
Linda
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A reaaally hot sexy read, loads of it with pages after pages of hot scenes. One that will likely have you blushing away and squirming; probably best not to read in public ;)) Unless, of course if you can remain stoic while reading TNO. I must add that it’s not all erotic....there’s a storyline there with some angst and romance with a hint of insta-love. Overall, it was actually a pretty good read :))
Elle
4.75 stars - it’s not perfect but it contains the best (and longest) dom/sub scene I have ever read.
Arien
Probably the hottest sex scenes in all lesbian erotica. I just wish there was more story and less sex but it was a good read nonetheless.
Serena
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have long doubted whether The Night Off, would be a book for me. I really do like a lot of intimate scenes, but there should be more than sex. I was worried that sex would be the only quality. I was wrong, it was also a character study. Yes there was a lot of sex, but this was also to deepen the characters. This was my first experience with Meghan O'Brien, and this made ​​me want more. Did I mention that this book is hot, hot, hot from beginning to end!
Lex Kent
3 1/2 Stars. This book is an erotic romance. Has some Dom/Sub, spanking, etc elements to it with a romance arch through the whole book. I thought the balance was good. Enough erotica to make the sex scenes steamy but not too much that you thought the Dom was just causing pain. I've read some bad BDSM that seemed more like people beating each other up than causing pleasure. Also, the romance story arch was enough to keep my interest, so I enjoyed the book.
If you can't handle light BDSM, this book
~ * K E L L I E * ~
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
The Night Off has been on my "Recommendations" list for quite some time, however, I've been ignoring it for many months as I thought it wouldn't be something I'd enjoy reading. I'm happy to admit I was wrong... I loved it!

This book is much more than the cover/blurb leads to believe. Sure, there is plenty of sex involved, however the characters and the story behind the sex are what makes this book so enjoyable ;-)
Brett
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excilent!!
Kathryn
May 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those that enjoy BDSM
The escort in this book is the "handsome butch" and there is a whole lotta "tit slapping" going on. NOT my kind of read at all.

Abandoned at 11%
Lunatic
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Normally, people like the bad news first. So here it is, I'm just gonna label all the cons first.

Cons:
-The idea of falling in love at first sight without any logical reason doesn't sit right with me. I hope Nat could give a more logical reason why she acted the way she did toward Emily. Like for example, telling Emily her real name. You can't just look at someone and feel the spark, reality doesn't work that way, or at least that's what I think. Otherwise, that is not inner beauty that they att
MissyGirl
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is so hot that it took one of my "turn-offs" and made it a "turn-on"! (view spoiler) The first sex scene lasts 4 chapters and I was still ready for more by the time the next one came around!! Well done!!

Most of the story centers around Nat and Emily, the two main characters. There is some world-building through secondary characters, but not much. However, I still
M
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: l-books, 5-books
Meghan's best yet, which is saying something as The Three by Meghan O is one of my all time favourite reads.

The characters are conflicted and real, the sex is hotter than Hades and the story is fast paced and believable. The only issue that I have (as I have with all of Meghan's books) is that I am totally left wanting more and more.

Chapeau Meghan!
Andrea Bramhall
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Smoking hot...and I do mean hot. Meghan grabs you at the first page and hits you full on, then she never lets up. Lovely characters, wicked hot sex, and a beautiful love story...what's not to love?
Natsu
Merely scanned through the first chapters because I didn't think anything else aside from Nat and Emily's thing was happening.

I'll admit that it's undeniably hot but I started the actual reading from Chapter 18 cause that's when sh*t hit the fan and things started to get interesting for me. :D
Megzz
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hard not to like!
Touching and very, very hot. I would have liked a bit more angst, maybe.
Marilyn
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This surprised me. This was my first Meghan O'Brien. What a way to start.
Orcbard
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ff-novels, ff-bdsm
Even if the book wasn't for me, Meghan's writing was so readable I managed to finish it quickly.

If I have to use one word to describe the characterisation and storytelling, I'd use bold. The characters' feelings for each other and intensity of the sex were exaggerated almost comically, I had to find out what happened next. Still, since there's no nuance and everything played out very matter-of-factly, I wasn't moved by the drama.

I found the sex scenes repetitive, "The Sex Therapist Next Door"
Katia M. Davis
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 - This book is full of sex, pretty hot sex. I had been saving it for when I was balancing the company books, slogging through miles and miles of monetary data. It saved me. I got my computer to read me the ebook version while I entered incoming and outgoing financial figures into QuickBooks and my brain slowly dissolved into something slime-like and dribbled off my chin. So, plot-wise, not the most engaging, girl meets girl, has hot sex, falls in love, struggles a bit but it works out in the ...more
Celina
The only thing I didn't like was the name-calling, dyke, and other stuff. It is like being angry at your friend and calling her a nigga just to hurt her. Very hurtful words and I think, If I was the one on the receiving end, I would take longer to forgive. But this is a book, so yeah.

Very interesting erotica, by the way, I must say. And those walk-in on scenes have me hyperventilating. I can't even.
Izza
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars | Shit, that was hot.
Meghan
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow...wow...wow
T
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was OK. I didn't like it as much as i thought i would, or as much as others did. To me it just seemed cold and impersonal. I think this might have been caused by the fact that the book started right off with the two women being intimate in a 'professional' setting; so there was no build up of sexual tension. As the book progressed, i was more able to understand and feel for the characters, but by that point, i had already judged them to be shallow. I just didn't feel the chemistry as m ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Good lesbian book 4 23 May 21, 2020 03:53AM

• The X Ingredient
  • Temptation
  • Hers to Keep (Irresistibly Bound #3)
  • Turbulence
  • At Her Feet
  • Behind the Green Curtain
  • Alone
  • Her Surrender (Irresistibly Bound #2)
  • Blurred Lines (Cops and Docs, #1)
  • Thursday Afternoons
  • Tangled Vows (Mistress, #1)
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Waiting for You
  • Living
  • Damage Control (The Hollywood Series, #2)
  • Then & Now
  • Those Who Wait
  • Requiem for Immortals
Born in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, Meghan O’Brien relocated to Northern California in 2005. As a transplant, she enjoys the moderate weather and gorgeous scenery of the Bay Area. Meghan lives with her wife, their son, three cats, three dogs, two snakes and several tarantulas. Yes, it can be just as chaotic as it sounds.

Meghan’s day job is as a software developer, but her real passion is writin