Start by marking “Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (And World Peace)” as Want to Read:

With Search Inside Yourself, Chade-Meng Tan, one of Google’s earliest engineers and personal growth pioneer, offers a proven method for enhancing mindfulness and emotional intelligence in life and work.

Meng’s job is to teach Google’s best and brightest how to apply mindfulness techniques in the office and beyond; now, readers everywhere can get insider access to one of the
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperOne (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Search Inside Yourself, please sign up.
Mike Why not just buying the book, which is available as pdf? I guess, what you are asking for sounds like a pirate version?

Si Barron
Feb 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: informative
Search Inside Yourself by Chade-Meng Tan

This book looked enticing. I am interested in meditation and concentration techniques and this promised to be an enthusiastic exploration by a keen intellect. How could one resist a book claiming to be “The Secret Path to Unbreakable Concentration, Complete Relaxation and Total Self-Control?
However I had to abandon it largely because of the style and unconsious elitism of the author, a man who wears his corporate credentials on his sleeve.

Chade-MengTan is
Rosie Nguyễn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trước đây một lần khi mình tham gia nói chuyện trong một chương trình cho người trẻ, một bạn khán giả đã hỏi: Làm thế nào để hiểu bản thân mình rõ hơn, quản lý cảm xúc của mình, biết được cái gì phù hợp với mình. Mình có chia sẻ một kinh nghiệm của bản thân là dành thời gian tĩnh lặng để soi rọi bản thân mình, viết nhật ký cảm xúc để ghi nhận trải nghiệm của mình, và nếu được, thì thử ngồi thiền. Lúc đó một diễn giả khác (tên đã bị giấu đi để bảo vệ sự an toàn cho...mình) có lẽ có ấn tượng không ...more
Thomas Holbrook
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
When a trusted friend suggested I read this popular book, I was interested but leery of reading – yet another – “step-by-step” plan for meditation. Typically, books on deepening one’s awareness or spirituality or devotional life are old plans retreated to appear as “new information” with the requisite (and obvious) reminder that daily adherence to the plan is required. This book’s power lies in it stating the truth that living and life are to be found the moments of “mindfulness.” Search Inside ...more
Todd N
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-hold, audio
Couldn’t hang with this book after somewhere around the third chapter. Just too painful. I don’t know what I was thinking getting this book.

Well, actually I do. I figured maybe it would be a nice change to give mindfulness a try instead of my usual state of slowly being consumed in a fire of all-consuming rage. Further I figured that since I worked at Google for six-ish years maybe a class designed at Google for Google employees would be well-suited for me.

I was vaguely aware of this class when
Winnie Lim
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changing
Read this in two sittings, one during dinner and one after dinner-induced food coma.

I picked up this book because I was curious what would one of the most famous Singaporeans (at least in tech) write on the intangible subject of Happiness.

I was not disappointed and actually the book turned out to be way beyond my expectations.

He advocates using mindfulness meditation as a tool to increase happiness and creativity, gives plenty of scientific evidence and statistics to prove that meditation is
Jessie Young
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this book after reading a review in the NYT. The review was actually more of a feature on the author than a review, but the topic seemed interesting and he has definitely done good work.

In the end, I didn't love it. I think that the whole "look at us we work at Google that is so hard" thing didn't work for me. Because I know people who work at Google and trust me, there are much harder jobs. I do agree that people in the workplace are too stressed these days and we need to deal with it, I
Casey
Meditation has turned into somewhat of a sexy practice these days, especially among techie types. Case in point: this book about meditation, written by the person in charge of meditation at Google. However, this is not some business book about increased productivity. Indeed, Chade-Meng Tan’s goal in life is to change the world through increased personal contentment and compassion.

I started practicing meditation before I actually knew what meditation was, although I certainly wouldn’t consider my
Guna Grāmatniece
Man prieks, ka lasīju šo grāmatu tieši šobrīd. Viens no lielākajiem Eureka! momentiem ir atziņa, ka nepatiku pret citu cilvēku manī raisa nevis tas, ko viņš pasaka vai izdara, bet gan mana nepatika pret manis pašas emocijām (nespēja tās tolerēt), ko tā rezultātā izjūtu. Voila! :)
diane
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
To people who meditate regularly, the beginning of this book will be things you already know (well, I assume so - I meditate regularly, and fee that the start of the book was a refresher course). But the science behind the examples was interesting and reinforced my commitment to meditate regularly.

And then it changed. This book took the practice of meditation and explained how it helped you at work. Like. For reals. No, really for reals.

And then it just... kept going. It kept building on the i
Tony DuShane
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Dalai Lama is a blurb whore. I'm actually writing a review of this book and that will be my lede.

I haven't finished the book, but it's good stuff. Mindfulness. Meditation. It's very important for us right now....more important than ever in this land of what I like to call GENERATION MARSHMALLOW.

If anyone else uses that term, tell them it's from me....more essays on these drones who play video games and can't stand a moment of time in a line or driving without telling four square where they a
Audrey
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

The writing style is a bit too dumbed-down and seems to have some forced humor. I enjoyed the practical snippets that recommend actionable steps you can take toward meditation and leading a life with more inner peace and happiness.
Greg
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
If this were my first self-help/psychology book, I would probably have loved it. But the author makes so many references to books I've already read (Mindset, 7 Habits, Difficult Conversations, The Artists Way, even basic yoga principles), that there was very little new information. So while the information is useful, I have to give it a two-star "okay" for the lack of news, and his corny jokes.
Nikolay
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My hopes for the book were that it would be the one book about mindfulness I could recommend to all friends, because it was coming from an engineering mind. It almost lived up to my expectations, but not quite. While the bullshit levels were super low, the depth was sometimes lacking and substituted with name-dropping.

Still, it was a great overview of mindfulness – some theory, a ton of practices, which I think will be useful to everybody in the “creative workforce”.

Give it a try.

What I mostly g
Pavel
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Některé myšlenky jsem shledal velmi inspirativní. Připojím několik citací:

Viktor Frankl: Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space lies our freedom and our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our happiness.

UCLA lab of Matthew Lieberman: There is a simple technique for self-regulation called "affect labeling", which simply means labeling feelings with words. When you label an emotion you are experiencing (for example, "I feel anger"), it somehow
Wouter Zwemmer
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Compact geschreven boek over mindfulness op basis van training bij google. Methode gebaseerd op Jon Kabat-Zinn. Bevat veel informatie.

Over mindfulness
Proces mindfulnessbeoefening:
1. Intentie. Wat is de reden om te rusten in aandacht. Je eigen welbevinden? Dat van anderen?
2. Volg je adem. Geest zorgt meestal voor afleiding. Wees bewust en keer terug naar adem. (Als spieren trainen: spannen - ontspannen)
3. Word je bewust van je innerlijke houding: hoe kijk je naar jezelf? Zelfkritisch, vriendelij
Kevan
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author has developed a course at Google designed for its engineers, during which he leads employees through an extremely accessible adaptation and explanation of meditation practices, emotional intelligence, and mindfulness. As a result, principles which are often cloaked in much depth or complexity are now laid bare with simple break-out exercises, illustrations and storytelling, designed for cynical, linear-minded readers.

The first read was great, and will help me know which pages to flip
Jeanne
Star performers in the tech sector differ from average performers in six ways: a strong achievement drive, ability to influence others, conceptual thinking, analytical thinking, initiative in taking on challenges, and self-confidence (Goleman, 1998). If you're looking at this list and thinking success here goes well beyond technical skills, you're right. Can these skills be built? Chade-Meng Tan's argues that they can be; Search Inside Yourself outlines Meng's professional development program at ...more
Jess
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I believe mindfulness works. I believe these techniques work in a supportive corporate environment. I wish more corporate environments were open to encouraging the overall health of employees, but I don't know if they will be unless they see a bottom-line need for it. Since this comes from Google, it carries more authority than it would from a start-up that can get by with a "hippy-dippy" approach to work. But he doesn't justify the money reason enough, I think, to convince companies that have a ...more
PattyMacDotComma
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A visitor brought this along, so I borrowed it for a few days. I am an ardent Googler, so I figured I owed it to Google to read a book by one of their engineers on how he proposes to save the world.

Pleasant read, excellent suggestions and like a lot of things in life, easier said than done. Relax and pay attention and relax and help people and relax. Oh, and help them be at ease in life, too. Something like that. I'm poking fun, but with affection. I liked it.

I'm old enough now that a lot of wh
Alisa Bowman
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I write about and teach meditation. As a result, many people ask me for a good, easy-to-read guides for beginners. Search Inside Yourself delivers. The author adapts several standard Buddhist meditations for the work setting, and he blends Dharma teachings (never really calling them Dharma, though) with the fields of psychology and specifically emotional intelligence. The book is easy read and left me with several take-aways, even though I've been meditating for years. For instance, I particular ...more
Liz
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Jon Kabat-Zinn for the work environment. So he offers "short cuts" to meditation as well as more formal instructions. I found the parts about managing emotional triggers in meetings useful. He also has some good reminders about how important it is to have a positive outlook about a person you meet even though you might have heard some unflattering things about them; some good practical empathy tips; and 'mindful' ways of handling difficult people and situations.
Jessica
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than other mindfulness books I've read, like 10% Happier. Meng spearheaded the creation of a course for Google employees on mindfulness meditation (couched in the framework of building emotional intelligence, which is more "business-like") and then adapted the curriculum into this book. What I liked was that Meng sets a very low bar for entry into the practice of mindfulness meditation: he suggests practicing meditation the "easy way" — noticing your breath for 2 minutes — or ...more
Selin Alper
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arkas Akademi bir kaç ay önce bu kitabı eğitim vesilesi ile hediye ettiğinde, açıkcası kitabın başlığı beni biraz rahatsız etmişti. Büyük laflar, mutluluğu bulmanın bilmem kaç yolu, verimliliği / yaratıcılığı artırmak filan, bazen fazlaca anlam yüklenmiş kelimeler gibi geliyor(du) bana. Kitabın dayandığı temel slogan benim de algı yönümü değiştirdi; “Bir mühendis bile duygusal zeka ile gelişebilir”.
Rasyonel, matematik kafalı, analitik insanların duygusal zeka ile hayatta daha başarılı olabilec
Sampada Nayak
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
After reading a decent number of books on mindfulness from the "babas" and "gurus" of the world I picked this book to hear about mindfulness and its application from an engineer.. and not any engineer but employee no 107 from THE Google.. Oh boy was i disappointed !

Mengs work seemed extremely derivative and to me its is a collection of notes from books by the Dalai Lama, Steven Covey, Daniel Goleman and Jon Kabat Zinn..If you have read their books and given meditation a level 1 try then this bo
Annette
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a little of this book everyday as I try to incorporate good practices this year. Meditation is something I've done on and off without much success at establishing and maintaining a practice.
Tan's book offers practical lessons in breathing, meditation and how to use them to become calmer, more focused and more creative at home and at work.

It's written simply with many practical suggestions for establishing these habits. Recommended for anyone who wishes more clarity and calm in
Vu Minh Thu
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Hạnh phúc là trạng thái mặc định của tâm trí. Vì vậy, khi tâm trí trở nên an tĩnh và rõ ràng, nó trở lại trạng thái mặc định và trạng thái mặc định đó là hạnh phúc. Vậy thôi. Không có phép thuật nào cả, chúng ta chỉ đơn giản trở lại trạng thái tự nhiên của tâm trí."

Phong cách, ngôn ngữ và bài học rất hợp với các bạn làm kỹ thuật học thiền từ đơn giản đến nâng cao. Từ luyện não đến nâng cao trí tuệ cảm xúc và cuối cùng là cho hòa bình thế giới từ bên trong mỗi người.
Starfire
I really enjoyed this book on mindfulness meditation and its real world benefits, along with a whole load of different meditations to try out on a daily basis.

I read a library copy of it, but I suspect that to get the most benefit from it, I probably need to buy my own copy and refer back to it over time as I progress through the various meditations.
KT
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In short, how mindfulness will make everything better in your life and the world. Sounds overly ambitious but he pulls it off. Even if I'm just able to apply 10% of this book, I will be ahead.
Buket Aymak
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life changing experience
Brian
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4.5) May change your life if you really adopt the lessons here. Might've been 5.0 if the tone were a little less boasty, false self-deprecating.
Free Books, .99, ...: Win a New Hardback Copy of "Search Inside Yourself" 1 19 May 23, 2012 09:12AM
  • The Story of You (And How to Create a New One)
  • Why Meditate: Working with Thoughts and Emotions
  • Finding the Space to Lead: A Practical Guide to Mindful Leadership
  • NLP Workbook: A practical guide to achieving the results you want
  • Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence: Understanding and Facilitating Difficult Dialogues on Race
  • The Power of Body Language: How to Succeed in Every Business and Social Encounter
  • Well Nourished: A Guide to Mindful Eating, Inner Nourishment and Feeding Your Whole Self
  • The Ravenous Brain: How the New Science of Consciousness Explains Our Insatiable Search for Meaning
  • Everything Connects: How to Transform and Lead in the Age of Creativity, Innovation, and Sustainability
  • What Motivates Me: Put Your Passions to Work
  • The Road to Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance in the Arts and Sciences, Sports, and Games
  • Positive Psychology In A Nutshell
  • The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year
  • The Burnout Cure: An Emotional Survival Guide for Overwhelmed Women
  • Yoga and Body Image: 25 Personal Stories about Beauty, Bravery & Loving Your Body
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work Navigating Life
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • Power Sleep: The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance
Chade-Meng Tan (Meng) is Google's Jolly Good Fellow (which nobody can deny). Meng was one of Google's earliest engineers. Among many other things, he helped build Google's first mobile search service, and headed the team that kept a vigilant eye on Google's search quality. His current job description is, "Enlighten minds, open hearts, create world peace".

Outside of Google, Meng is the Founder and
“The key is to let go of two things: grasping and aversion. Grasping is when the mind desperately holds on to something and refuses to let it go. Aversion is when the mind desperately keeps something away and refuses to let it come. These two qualities are flip sides of each other. Grasping and aversion together account for a huge percentage of the suffering we experience, perhaps 90 percent, maybe even 100 percent.” 4 likes
“There is a simple technique for self-regulation called “affect labeling,” which simply means labeling feelings with words. When you label an emotion you are experiencing (for example, “I feel anger”), it somehow helps you manage that emotion.” 3 likes