Start by marking “Christmas Wombat” as Want to Read:
Christmas Wombat

Christmas Wombat

(Wombat)

Christmas comes but once a year, and it′s just as well for Santa′s reindeer, who have to fight with Mothball for the carrots left out for them by the local children. And when Mothball takes an unexpected sleigh ride, it′s not just Santa who faces the prospect of getting stuck in the chimney.

Christmas from a wombat′s eye view is always going to be interesting - especially
Published October 1st 2011 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Wombat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Wombat

Start your review of Christmas Wombat
Camilla
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Christmas pressie from down under.. And this one is autographed!!! Take that Aussie's.. LOL

So.. Yeah.. I love wombats.. You got a problem with that?

HAVE YOU SEEN ONE?!

Cutest. Thing. Ever.

The end!!

Carrots!!
Abigail
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wombat Lovers / Anyone Who Enjoys Humorous Picture-Books
The single-minded phascolomian heroine of author Jackie French and illustrator Bruce Whatley's hilarious Diary of a Wombat and Diary of a BABY Wombat returns in this charming holiday picture-book, discovering that she "never knew there were so many carrots in the world." Going about her daily routine of sleeping, scratching, sleeping, and then eating, Wombat is surprised to find a cache of carrots one day, and to see some strange creatures eating them. Quickly putting that to rights, she ...more
Marathon County Public Library
This book is a wonderful holiday read about a wombat who loves carrots, naps, and scratching. This love of carrots takes him on an adventure (a holiday adventure), though wombats don't celebrate holidays and have no concept of what Christmas or Santa is. The wombat finds himself face-to-face with reindeer (he names them strange creatures), who he battles with using intense eye contact and a stern expression. Wombats love to nap, and this love of napping finds the wombat in the most unexpected ...more
Arminzerella
Following the format of “Diary of a Wombat,” “Christmas Wombat” details the activities of a wombat as it goes about its day – resting, scratching, eating, and discovering…CARROTS! After a delicious snack, the wombat curls up for a nap in Santa’s sleigh and then finds itself making the rounds on Christmas Eve as packages are delivered to homes all over the world. The wombat is delighted by subsequent discoveries of carrots and opportunities for naps, and by the end of the story it is somewhat ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Also called Diary of a Christmas Wombat.

None of the Diary of a Wombat books have been quite as good as the very first one, when it was fresh and absolutely hilarious, but they're still funny, enjoyable and entertaining.

In this third book, the wombat's schedule of eating, sleeping and scratching is interrupted when he manages to hitch a ride on Santa's sleigh after taking the carrots left out for the reindeer.

What follows is his (her?) naive narration of accompanying Santa as he delivers
Maria
Wombats have three priorities in life. Carrots, naps and carrots. So when Mothball wakes up from his nap to find a plate of carrots and some strange creatures trying to eat them, he has to defend his claim. And then he finds a great place for another nap... on Santa's sleigh.

Why I started this book: Diary of a Wombat was charming and delightful. I was excited to see what a Christmas wombat would do.

Why I finished it: The illustrations highlight the wry wit and understatement of the text. Will
Elevetha
These books are highly simplistic and completely utterly "children's" books. And they never fail to amuse and delight me. They are simply adorable and this one is no exception. The illustrations are the cutest things, especially the facial expressions and also somehow the posture of the wombat. Recommended to all, young and old alike.

Wombats and hedgehogs appear to be my spirit animals, minus all the carrots.
Kathryn
Fans of Wombat will likely enjoy this amusing holiday tale featuring Wombat in a search for his favorite treat--carrots!--and having to win them away from other mysterious creatures (reindeer!). I can certainly see where many will be utterly charmed, but for some reason I just don't fully "get"/appreciate the Wombat books/humor.
Scott
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wombat loves to eat grass and carrots. And he will steal them from Santa's reindeer, polar bears, and other creatures. Written like a journal entry, the silly wombat takes us on the journey to eat as many carrots as possible.
Peacegal
Cute illustrations. The theme of the Wombat stories may be wearing a bit thin.
Kaethe Douglas
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xmas
Because nothing says Christmas Spirit like wombats.

Library copy
Carol
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun, silly Christmas story. Illustrations are great and it had us all laughing.
Erin Buhr
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Wombat books. It takes the simple telling of its day diary format and intertwines a Christmas Eve story complete with Santa, reindeer and more. I love how the simple words when paired with the illustrations are perfectly laugh out loud funny. A clever and unique Christmas story.
Carolyn Jeziorski
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wombat funds carrots. Wombat sleeps on sleigh. Wombat finds more carrots.

This is cute and pretty basic, but what I’m actually using this for is to teach “caveman language” for notetaking to fourth and fifth graders. The wombat speaks in short phrases that mirror what I’m trying to teach kids to use when taking notes during research.
Theediscerning
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun picture book for the festive season, with a wombat not quite getting what's going on. He's only used to sleeping, scratching and eating, so what is this surfeit of carrots all about? And who are these other strange creatures trying to get in the way of his eating them? The young audience will really enjoy feeling superior to this loveable critter.
Asho
Who knew wombats liked carrots?! Not me! L surprised me by choosing this at the library (it's a departure from her usual dog books) and we all had a good laugh at the cute wombat's antics. This is a bit challenging as a read aloud because it's written in shorthand diary form, not really complete sentences. L deemed the wombat "pretty weird."
Anthony
A wombat loves to sleep, scratch, and eat. His favorite food are carrots, but he discovers that reindeer enjoys a good carrot as well. Wombat finds himself riding along on Santa's sleigh to get more carrots, he also get to experience the joy of Christmas along with all carrots he can eat.
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I much prefer the others in the series. Nothing wrong with this, but it's a bit stale, or something... though I do like the concept of (view spoiler).
Viviane Elbee
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
We love the humorous diary of a wombat books, so we were delighted to read this one. (If you know any wombat fans, this is a wonderful holiday read.)

In this one our wombat hero hitches a ride on Santa’s sleigh and discovers carrots all over the world.

Great illustrations by Bruce Whatley.
Jennifer Heise
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
One could never dislike one of French's charming, self-centered wombats: Whatley does a great job of showing Mothball, the wombat, hitching a ride on Santa's sleigh and stealing carrots put out for the reindeer all over the world. But it's just not as compelling as some of her other wombat stories.
Clarissa
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny and adorable. Love the Wombat books!
Sheila
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The wombat is too hilarious!
Austin Gullett
I just picked this off the library shelf while I was doing my rounds, and this is honestly one of the funniest Christmas picture books I’ve ever read.
Miss Sarah
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A young wombat details his day and his carrot chasing adventures which have allowed him to catch a ride on someone's sleigh. toddler and up
Kayla
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think I may have liked this better if I’d read the other wombat books but without that background it was just... odd.
Jess El-Zeftawy
The classic tale of the Christmas wombat. My preschooler and I both liked this one and then were inspired to YouTube a video about wombats. It's not the best holiday tale but it's definitely fun.
DiAnne Warfield
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Colt library story times week of Dec 2 2019
Holt-Delhi PJ story time 12-11-19
Gervy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
8 yo son who is too grown-up for picture books now really liked this.
Helen
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all kids!
Shelves: animals, kids-teens, humor
This is a really cute book about a wombat encountering traditional Christmas decorations!
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The wombat is back. Christmas Wombat is book three of the series that started with Diary of a Wombat, followed by Diary of a Baby Wombat.
In this book, the wombat went looking for carrots and discovered strange creatures eating, what she claimed to be, her carrots. Reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh had to be dealt with!
From there the wombat goes on a long journey around the world, napping on Santa's sleigh as she went, and eating carrots at most stops.
Another cute story that has a funny ending,
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Last Stop on the Reindeer Express
  • Wombat Divine
  • Bad Dog
  • The Day It Rained Hearts
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • The Knights Before Christmas
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • Rory the Dinosaur Needs a Christmas Tree
  • The Great Santa Stakeout
  • This Book Is Gray
  • Beware!
  • Merry Christmas, Ollie!
  • Madeline's Christmas
  • A Homemade Together Christmas
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary ...more

Wombat (7 books)
  • Diary of a Wombat
  • Diary of a BABY Wombat
  • Baby Wombat's Day
  • Wombat Goes to School
  • The Secret World Of Wombats
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day