Start by marking “Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2)

Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  2,781 Ratings  ·  250 Reviews
In this sequel to Maids of Misfortune, it is the fall of 1879 and Annie Fuller, a young San Francisco widow, has a problem. Despite her growing financial success as the clairvoyant Madam Sibyl, Annie doesn't believe in the astrology and palmistry her clients think are the basis for her advice.

Kathleen Hennessey, Annie Fuller's young Irish maid, has a plan. When her mistres
Published October 8th 2011 by M. Louisa Lock

To ask other readers questions about Uneasy Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uneasy Spirits

Erin
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Dandy Detects was an entertaining short but it was Maids of Misfortune that captured my attention and piqued my interest in Uneasy Spirits. I looked forward to the book for months and now, after reading the book, I find I have very mixed feelings.

I obviously enjoyed the book. A four star rating isn’t exactly a finger in the eye but I found that while I appreciated the piece, many of my pre-read expec
Cindy Amrhein
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got hooked into this book as soon as I started it. Victorian era is a favorite time period of mine. I found an instant connection with the character of Annie Fuller, a widow who owns a boarding house and sidelines for extra cash as a clairvoyant, Madam Sibyl. The difference is she doesn't believe in such things, but it's a means to take a woman seriously when giving financial advice learned from her father. Think about that--people wouldn't take advice from a woman, but from their dead uncle? ...more
Barb
I enjoyed the first book in this series 'Maids of Misfortune' and looked forward to reading another mystery with the charming characters Ms. Locke created. Unfortunately I did not care for this story and was disappointed by the lack of growth and development the characters undergo during the course of this book. I felt I had a better sense of the characters at the end of the first book than I did after reading more than three hundred and fifty pages about them in this book.

I thought much of thi
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book! Uneasy Spirits is another beautifully written, evocative, full-immersion trip to San Francisco in 1879. The independent and intrepid Annie Fuller is asked by one of her boarders, Miss Pinehurst, to investigate a popular medium who has seemingly manipulated Miss Pinehurst's grieving sister by channeling the spirit of her dead child. San Francisco has many such mediums, as the Spiritualist movement is very popular, and attending a seance is as fashionable as it is thrilling. Annie, ...more
Hilary
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

One of Annie's boarders asks her to investigate a pair of mediums who, Miss Pinehurt is sure, are damaging her sister's already fragile state of mind. During the course of the investigation Annie is forced to confront her own alter ego as Madam Sibyl: is she just as bad as they, misleading clients for her own ends, or is she justified because of societal restrictions?

Not quite as good as Maids of Misfortune, but I still enjoyed it. The subject matter is a little strange, but as I genera
Marla
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-library
Again, I started reading this in fits and starts, getting distracted by other books, but once I started reading larger chunk of it at a time I enjoyed it more. I didn't quite have it all figured out before they gave us the reveal and there were some things that felt like loose ends but had only been in there to throw us off the trail I suppose. Still it all came to a satisfactory conclusion and I really like the descriptions of San Fransisco in the 1890's, including the little blurbs from the pa ...more
Madelon
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a lot of grit, murder, mayhem, and mosters, so it is always refreshing to read a book that looks at life through the rose colored glasses of gentility. Very often, this can only be accomplished by reading books published in the nineteen thirties and forties. Even during that period, hard boiled noir seems really tame by today's standards. Ms. Locke's descriptions of various locations in San Francisco eschew Victorian gentility while making the locales come to life.

The Victorian Era was
Betty
This is the first book by this author I have read, and I am sure to read more! I enjoy the history of Spiritualism in a time when palmists, palm readers, tarot, mediums and seances were extremely popular. One thing I found interesting in the book was the beginning of each chapter featuring a news headline, which I firmly believe is an actual headline from the 1870s. That said, this is a particularly well-written story with great character portrayals. The book is suspenseful, intriguing, and stra ...more
Erik Quinz
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I would argue that this book has a gloriousness that examines how hard the passion it takes to accomplish a thing and is not possible with ordinary passion and sometimes makes the spirit disappear and becomes bored, the book has a good selection of language and understanding of how that spirit should,
Maureen
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I looked back at my review of the first book in this series and saw that I finished it two days before Christmas last year. An odd coincidence. I enjoyed this second entry more than the first actually. The subject matter was more engaging for me this time around. Pleasant entertainment.
R.P. Dahlke
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is Ms. Locke’s delightful sequel to Maids of Misfortune, and the second in the Annie Fuller historical mystery series. Set in the late 1800’s in one of my favorite cities, San Francisco, California, I felt like I was there, walking these streets as they were a hundred years ago.
By day, Annie Fuller makes her living as the proprietor of a respectable and well established boarding house, but at night, she becomes Madame Sybil, fortune teller. Annie may have been brought up studying finance at
Kristy
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot begin to express how much I love this series. I have never been a particular fan of Victorian settings...thinking them of no particular interest, but M. Louisa Locke has changed that!

Annie Fuller is such a refreshing character. Having been shaped by her misfortunes in life, she is determined to carry on as a successful business woman, despite the restrictions imposed by society of the time.

And what can I say about Nate Dawson. A similiarly flawed hero to match Annie's personality. He is
Sara
Oct 11, 2014 added it
Good Characters

I read another mystery set during this time period in San Francisco. I felt that the characters in this were better drawn. I would like to read the first book in the series.
KL Caley
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this book by chance when it showed up rather cheaply on a Kindle titles sale and the outline sounded quirky and I must say I am very pleased with the find. I didn’t realise it is actually the second in the series and I’m quite glad as I think that would have put me off but actually, it was very easy to read without having read the first. You could quickly pick up who the characters are and each of their rough backgrounds, but you are also not swamped with information about them ...more
Bonnie Cehovet
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Uneasy Spirits” is the sequel to “Maids of Misfortune”, and is part of M. Louisa Locke's Victorian historical mystery series featuring Annie Fuller, a young widow running a boarding house in San Francisco. Recurring characters include her young Irish maid Kathleen Hennessey, her cook Beatrice O’Roarke, and various boarders. To make ends meet, Annie takes on the persona of a clairvoyant named Madam Sibyl.

Annie is asked by one of her boarders, Miss Pinehurst, to help her expose a fraudulent medi
Thom Swennes
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
San Francisco, from the mid to late nineteenth century was, by far, the largest and most diverse city on the west coast of the United States. It served as a magnet, attracting peoples of all nationalities and walks of life, making it an interesting concoction of humanity. As in all cities, crimes, intrigues, and machinations run amok as everyone competed to stay ahead in the game of survival.
Twenty-six-year-old Annie Fuller, while living in a large house she had inherited, found it difficult to
Rachel Friedland
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great follow-up to the first one. Almost all of the characters in Maids of Misfortune are back, and there has been some character development in a good way. Nate and Annie, especially, do spend some time reflecting on their relationship in a way that really works with the story as a whole.

One thing I thought was really interesting was the exploration of spiritualism in the 19th century, from multiple sides of the issue, and it was interesting to read the excerpts from the San Francisc
Cissa
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Annie gets pulled into the middle when one of her boarders asks her to look into some possibly fraudulent mediums that have ensnared the boarder's sister. And then the plot thickens...

And- I like Nate and Annie for each other, but- wow. They both have Issues! especially about clear communication, and I really get bored when the plot requires that people not tell others things that are obviously relevant to them all. Unfortunately, this novel depended on that a bit much, hence the 4.5 rather than
Michael Brunson
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have achieved an understanding.

I have been confused as to why I actually like these San Francisco mysteries of Ms Locke. First I like books that paint a picture of how people lived in previous years. Second would have to be the meticulous detail she achieves points to how detailed her research is to accomplish this feat. Third and certainly not the least important is that she spins a very good yarn. Were any of these made into a movie it would come out a banal and pretentious "Chick Flick.' Th
Alisha Henri
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
An Intriguing Tale

While I very much enjoyed Ms. Locke's mystery, Uneasy Spirits, I found myself wishing that the story moved a little faster. However, the characters are fascinating, the heroine delightful and believable, and the true villain not discovered until nearly the end of the story. My favorite part of the story? The ending, but I'm not going to say why...that would spoil the story. I know several true spiritualist mediums and trance channels and the difference between them and frauds o
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first one. I liked learning more about Annie's past and see her realize some things about herself, as well as her relationship with Nate and it's progression. A number of the side characters also got a bit of development, which helped to fill out the world a bit more. I found the mystery fun; I always enjoy some seance/spiritualism/mysticism business going on. I was able to figure things out just slightly ahead of the characters, which I think is re ...more
Cathy
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
tWho can you call GHOSTBUSTERS

I liked this story because it included small ads about different mediums seeking clients in the city. It really fit in with the fact that Mrs. Fuller is a medium herself. As usual both main characters act like dumbbells when it comes to each other. I will be ordering book three in the series.
Chris Blackton
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very entertaining. I did, however, figure out who the mystery man was long before he was revealed. His relationship to others in the book did catch me by surprise. I do enjoy the historical references but am glad that I live in the 21st century. I will definitely read the next in the series.
Patt
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It has romance, mystery, history, and a good plot. 1860's San Francisco is described with great detail so that in your mind you can feel like you are there. Annie, the main character, is clever and very like able. The parts about the seances were fascinating and definitely added to the suspense and the storyline. I look forward to exploring more by this author.
sharon check
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mediums and Mayhem

Annie Fuller just can not resist her bodererhouse resident's request to help get her sister out of the clutches of the spiritualist she consulted after losing her child. Despite danger to her own safety Annie attends seances and private sittings with a strange child. Interesting characters and plot twists. Held my interest from beginning to end.
Jacqueline Bradshaw
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read

The various twists in the plot line keep the reader engaged. While Uneasy Spirits could be read as a stand alone, reading Ms. Locke's work in sequence does enhance the enjoyment of the book.
CALVIN REAMES
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable tale of mystery

Excellent backdrop for an intriguing tale into the world of the nineteenth century spiritualist activities in San Francisco. I found myself caught up in the moment during the story.
Nancy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cozy mystery set in a raw young San Francisco. A young widow is asked to investigate the veracity of Spiritualist mediums who seem to be taking advantage of prominent clients. The story lagged a bit in the middle, but was enjoyable overall.
Rebecca Webber
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This being my first experience with Dr. Locke's work I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well researched, including actual historical figures and the mystery of the little girl's 'protectors' was a welcome alternative explanation as to whether or not she was a trance medium.
Bonnie
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this series and I enjoyed it as much as the first. The characters are interesting as is the mystery and the solution is surprising. I definitely will keep reading the series.
Book Promotions: Historical Fiction 99 Cents 1 4 Mar 06, 2014 07:40PM
Creative Reviews: Review of Uneasy Spirits by M. Louisa Locke 1 6 Feb 11, 2012 10:37PM
  • Just Deceits
  • Susanna and the Spy (Susanna and the Spy, #1)
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • Swan Song (Julie O'Hara Mystery #2)
  • No Game For a Dame (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #1)
  • The Shut Mouth Society
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Willow Pond
  • Dead Case in Deadwood (Deadwood, #3)
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution # 3)
  • Mozart's Wife
  • Still Life with Murder  (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #1)
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • A Provençal Mystery
  • Homesong
  • Fated
  • Treasure of Egypt: Treasure of the Ancients
After being a professor of history for over 30 years, I am now retired and writing full time. The books in my Victorian San Francisco Mystery series are based in part on my dissertation research on women who worked in the Far West at the end of the Nineteenth Century, and they feature Annie Fuller, a young widow who gives domestic and business advice as the clairvoyant, Madam Sibyl. She is aided i ...more
More about M. Louisa Locke

A Victorian San Francisco Mystery (5 books)
  • Maids of Misfortune (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1)
  • Bloody Lessons (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #3)
  • Deadly Proof (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #4)
  • Pilfered Promises (A Victorian San Francisco Mysteries, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“it to Miss Pinehurst, and, putting her arm around her,” 1 likes