Start by marking “Me and Kev” as Want to Read:
Me and Kev

Me and Kev

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
After a severe beating, young Steven Jones dies to his parents but continues to live as the playmate of an imaginary companion he has discovered inside himself called Kev. Kev helps Steven over some adolescent rough spots, then deserts him for a biker girl for whom Kev is also real.
Published October 1st 1993 by Baskerville Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Me and Kev, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and Kev

Johnny
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disturbing-stuff
This book made me feel wrong. Like when you accidentally walk in on your parents having sex. Or when you see a dog that's been hit by a car, but it's still alive and it's kind of twitching. I'm not even sure if I actually read it or if I've been having waking nightmares for the past week. But you should read it anyway.
Wifey
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I only put this book down when I passed out from exhaustion, and then finished it the next day.
Steven, who thinks he has been murdered by his father, continues to "live" like a shell of a kid for his family, has a tiny boy that's 2 cm tall named Kevin inside him that calls him "Dad". Steve knows he's different than everyone else because he doesn't have a belly button, and because he doesn't have a worm that lives inside him like everyone else does. And then they find a typewriter/space machine.
Savannah
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love both books by Simon Black. He is talented at managing to convey reality and an insane character's inner world at the same time. This is about a child's fragmentation into multiple personalities. Written with a weird sense of humor, it's an enjoyable read, and you watch his adventures as he tries to navigate truth and lies and use a typewriter to fly to another planet. A very good psychological investigation, and an entertaining read,
Jason Pettus
Jun 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
one of those "genre unto itself" novels i like so much, the creepy and cutting-edge "me and kev" will have you on the edge of your seat, if you like these kinds of dark magical-realism tales, or rolling your eyes and scoffing if you don't. the tale of a very disturbed little boy, and the murderous imaginary friend who may or may not live inside him, the typesetting takes advantage of two-toned typewriter ribbons to great and scary effect. definitely worth checking out.
Davy
Dec 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Much like The Book of Frank, I didn't understand this one the first time around. Unfortunately, and unlike The Book of Frank, it didn't really encourage multiple readings. I remember little of the actual plot, but I do remember the use of red type, and I'm pretty sure the protagonist has sex with a sheep at one point. To be honest, this was a brutal disappointment after the excitement of The Book of Frank.
Corbett Sparks
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wifey and Johnny made me read this.
thankfully.
It is a trip.
Kilgore_trout
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most twistedly beautiful novel I've ever read. Makes Palahniuk (sp?) look like Mother Goose. Dark fantasy at it's very best...
Tyler Cheney