Start by marking “What the Hell: How Did We Get It So Wrong? Eternity, Grace, and the Message of Love” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
What if everything you've ever heard about Hell was wrong?

Have you ever thought about the majority of mankind burning in Hell for all of eternity? Does the Bible teach this? Is this really what God has in store for His creation? What the Hell will show what the Scriptures clearly teach about eternity, Hell, and what happens to those who reject God in this life.

Many Christ
Published October 1st 2011 by Outskirts Press

To ask other readers questions about What the Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Hell

Mark
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
There is some valuable content that can be found in this book. Mr. Baer argues against the traditional doctrine of an eternal hell where the wicked reside, consciously, throughout eternity. His primary argument rests on the thesis that the word translated into English as "eternal" is a misinterpretation of the primary Hebrew and Greek words associated with it; that is literally means "age-during" (as in the YLT), an indefinite period of time, but one that has a beginning and an end. His next arg ...more
Jed Stults
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Many people will (and have) take(n) issue with this book and the author without fully understanding either. It is important to understand that the object of the book is not to push the reader to believe something that they do not believe, but rather to present a different perspective and evidence so that the reader may make an informed decision if they should choose.

Having said that, I have read the book, and have found that the author poses some very compelling arguments and makes some excelle
Katina Willey
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such an eye-opener. Well thought out. Lots of interesting information, but a very easy read.
Michael
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting, a little controversial, makes you think, brings up questions. Don't know if I agree with author or not but enjoyed reading and have things to think and pray about.
Elissa Anne
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Apparently 2 stars means "it was okay" and 3 means "I liked it." I want to give it 2.5 stars, but I don't know how to make half a star.

The content of this book is good. Raising questions about why Christians believe what we traditionally believe about hell, is one of the most important topics today and there is an argument building and a rise in universalism as well as annihilationism, trinitarianism and inclusivism in the world right now.

My own studies (along with my Pastor) have brought me t
Shanna
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
It is a fairly easy read. Like how the author brings out the originally meaning of the words that are in many of today's translations used for hell. I appreciate the author's open mindedness and while stating his thoughts is also open to the idea that he may be wrong and even demonstrate's why that might be with the next to last chapter. I liked it.
Shari
Jun 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

It read too much like a text book for me. I didn't really like the "we'll cover that later" aspect.

Not sure how many Christians it will convince. Depends how open they are that some things were changed/interpreted differently from the original writings. He does cover the "God is love" that we are taught as little kids and that some things (like Hell) just don't make sense when you come from that aspect of "God".

Thykeson
Jun 15, 2015
Angela
May 09, 2013
Matthew Wimer
rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2016
  • An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices
  • Spiritwalker: Messages from the Future
  • Däm'um: Song Of The Vam Pyr's Blood Junky
  • Hinduism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • Wild Hearted
  • The Geek Handbook: Practical Skills and Advice for the Likeable Modern Geek
  • My Isl@m: How Fundamentalism Stole My Mind - And Doubt Freed My Soul
  • Streets of Shadows
  • Angel on the Ropes
  • In Search of Evidence: Why We Need to Rethink God and Religion in the 21st Century
  • The Dragon Phoenix Bracelet
  • Underneath
  • Empyreal Illusions (The Inferno Unleashed #1)
  • The Bible's Cutting Room Floor: The Holy Scriptures Missing from Your Bible
  • Red Gone Bad
  • Ford At Valverde
I'm a professional thrifter who is happily married, the father of four children, and an avid runner. I was born and raised in Georgia, and spent time in Oklahoma, California, Connecticut, and then Oregon, as an adult. I'm a graduate of Oregon State University and now reside in North Georgia, raising my family, near family.

My first book, The Earth Bleeds Red, was released in 2013. It is currently a