Start by marking “The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare” as Want to Read:
The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare

The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  265 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
From Rachael Treasure, one of Australia's favourite rural storytellers, comes this charming collection of short stories.

You’ll laugh and smile your way through this collection, which includes the favourite tales, 'The Girl And The Ghost-Grey Mare' and 'The Evolution Of Sadie Smith', as well as some new stories that have never published before in book form. All the stories
Published October 3rd 2011 (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare

Alison
I picked this up thinking it was a Rachael Treasure novel (because I've always been meaning to read her and finally got around to it) but it was a book of her short stories - a couple of which I found I had read before. Overall, some nice stories. There were a couple that were a bit jarring in that they didn't fit the style of the others. Am still keen to read one of her novels though.
Georgia
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got really friggin annoyed by the end of this book, so goddamn cliche and frustrating. Glad I listened to it on audio book otherwise it would of been a DNF.
Super annoying characters, all about them finding love but not really when they are already in love. And did I mention, that the characters were so fkin annoying

Good writing though
Chanpreet
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mar-yc-aussie
This book is a collection of 19 short stories all written about the fabulous Rachael Treasure. The stories range in themes from nice and sweet, to some I found gory and disturbing. The main characters in the stories vary from human beings to animals. The settings are also varied. There is something in this anthology for everyone.

Some of my favorite stories are: "The Girl and the Ghost Grey Mare", "Gentleman Required", "Eliza's Cards", "Feathers and Fast Horses", "The Tractor Factor", and "The Ev
Tessa Baker
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love Rachael but I was rather disappointed with this one. The first story was great, but I honestly feel that I was lured into a false sense of security. There were some ok stories, some pretty ordinary ones and others were down right morbid. Cutting up and preserving your mother, slaughtering your annoying deceased husbands dog and turning it into a handbag and killing your husbands favorite working dog to win back his affection in my opinion does not make for pleasant reading. I've now read ...more
Jacq
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved Rouseabout, and the initial story had me wandering whether to continue. What I had to remind myself was that this was a book of short stories, so the pace moves fast. Once I adapted I quickly devoured it! Swift snapshots of people, and wonderful variety with a common theme, though I'm far more wary of old ladies and pickles now... Entertaining and perfect for people too busy to concentrate on an entire novel!
Renee
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, read-2015
I have read novels by Rachael treasure before, so I thought I'd give this collection of short stories a go. I was surprised to find that they aren't all romance stories. A great collection of Australian stories about city & country, love & lust, humour & horror, cattle & cane toads, murder & magic.
Katrina
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I am not a fan of short stories, but decided to try this one as I love the author. I was very unsure when I started this book, but did actually enjoy most of the stories. My problem with short stories is that I always want to know more about the characters and their story....so I feel like I am left hanging at times:).
Jessica
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories based, loosely, in country Australia. I love her as an author, but found I did not enjoy most of these stories.

Although there was one or two that I enjoyed, they were over shadowed by some of the darker, sinister plots. It was a easy read, but not one I would recommend.
Emma
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a little disappointing. I found that after most stories I was left wanting more. She is an awesome author and I have read her other books, this one was just a lil off. Found it easy enough to get through, but didn't enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed the others.
Bec Whyte
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I usually hate short stories but the fact that these were written by my fave author was the selling point of the book for me. I wasn't disappointed, but I didn't fall in love either. There were a few good stories and a few not so good but a great read all the same
Rachel
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be disappointing. When I picked it up I did not realise it was short stories. The first story was great but the rest I found very cringe worthy. I love Rachael Treasure books but this one did not rate for me.
Suzie Flohr
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
i didnt really enjoy this at all. not like her other books....
Betty
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
The short story about the girl with the ghost grey mare was the best of the lot. Not what I would consider the best of Rachel Treasure's work. I like her novels better.
Tracy
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was ok. Some of the stories were great others not so. Short stories really aren't my thing which probably contributed to my mediocre rating.
Usually really like this author
Jennifer Rolfe
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
A series of short stories set in country Australia. Some of the characters were really fantastic. Will read one of her novels now.
Tim
Jun 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Few stories seem to be a repeat of her novels
Hayley Kelly
Jan 16, 2014
Jessica
rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2012
  • Heart of the Valley
  • Blackwattle Lake
  • The Road Home
  • Morgan's Law
  • The Bark Cutters (Gordon, #1)
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • Saving Grace
  • Queen of the Road
  • Dead Heat (Goodabri #1)
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
Rachael Treasure lives in southern rural Tasmania with her two young children. She is passionate about encouraging non-readers to read, inspiring farmers to consider regenerative agricultural practices and animal handlers to better understand their dogs and livestock. She is a graduate of Orange Agricultural College and has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst ...more
More about Rachael Treasure...