Start by marking “Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)

Deep Betrayal

(Lies Beneath #2)

It's been thirty days, two hours, and seventeen minutes since Calder left Lily standing on the shores of Lake Superior. Not that she's counting. And when Calder does return, it's not quite the reunion Lily hoped for. Especially after she lets her father in on a huge secret: he, like Calder, is a merman. Obsessed with his new identity, Lily's dad monopolizes Calder's time a ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Cereja Cult
Jul 09, 2012 marked it as maybe
Shelves: supernatural
March 12th 2013????? Why? Why do I have to wait that long? This is so unfair!!!!!

description
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

Aaaand another one drowns in the water? one bites the dust. Yet another victim of the dreaded Sequel Syndrome, wherein a follow-up to well-loved first novel can't execute or maintain that level previous level of excellence, Deep Betrayal was a miss for me. My last read for the year of 2012, I was rather disappointed with how this anticipated novel turned out. I was a big fan of the eeeeevil mermaids from Lake Superior in the first book Lies Beneath,
Louisa
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
Oh, so great, and I loved the how myth from whom mer people are descended from, and yeah, I can't wait to read Promise Bound!!

*First read December 5th 2012*
Fantastic book, oh, wow, really enjoyed seeing Lily and Calder again! And that ending! Really good, and kinda makes me want to have a 3rd book (Kinda in that I want to see the characters again, but not have them in any conflict, but books need conflict to be entertaining, so I'm torn) Yep :)
Kayla
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am a sucker for completing series and I did and this just wasn't good at all
Rose
Initial reaction: Ooh, this was actually better than Lies Beneath in my opinion, but I'll admit that there were points where I hit a bit of a bump in the story progression. I think Lily's voice was much easier to warm up to than Calder's from the last book, and I actually liked Calder's character more in this one.

Full review:

If there's something to be said about the second book in the Lies Beneath series, this had much in the way of improvement from the first, and I'm quite happy I gave Anne Gr
AH
Definitely not your ordinary mermaids…

Deep Betrayal is the sequel to Lies Beneath and takes place about a month after the events of that book. Lily has been sent away from her family’s home on the shores of Lake Superior in order to keep her safe. All she can think of is Calder, her merman boyfriend. Lily also feels strangely attracted to the water.

Like the first book, this is a darker, more sinister take on mermaids. The author blends intriguing mermaid lore with native Indian legends to create
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

I liked it; it was, to my surprise, considerably better than the first book. Of course, it helps that this book was from the POV of Lily, and not the dumb-as-a-rock/and least-effective merman ever that is Calder White. I liked Lily from the first book. She had a good head on her shoulders, she's not too dumb and doesn't dive into dangerous situations, and seems to figure things out pretty quickly (no thanks to the stupid, stupid, and may I emphasize that he is stupid Calder?

Calder got o
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A romantic and beautifully written sequel about family and neglect with a sprinkle of mythology.

Opening Sentence: Death finds us all.

The Review:

Told from Lily Hancock’s point of view, Deep Betrayal picks up a month after Lies Beneath leaves us. Now that Calder’s sister’s revenge plot has been resolved, Lily thought things would be normal (well, as normal as possible with a mermaid boyfriend and mermaid blood in her veins.) But when dead ci
~Tina~
Lily has missed Calder after he's been away for more then a month but now that she's graduated she can finally go home, but not before telling her father the truth about who he really is. He's a merman.
Little did she know that once she revealed this life long secret that she would have to fight for her boyfriends attention since Calder is taking it upon himself to help him with his new transformation.
All the while there have been random killings out in the lake and no one is sure who's doing it
eileen
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

Welcome to my loopy loop-fest review of Deep Betrayal by Anne Greenwood Brown!

Deep Betrayal, the sequel to Lies Beneath, by Anne Greenwood Brown lives up to everything Lies Beneath laid out for us. Unfortunately, I wasn't the biggest fan of Lies Beneath, so Deep Betrayal proved to have the same quality that its predecessor  had.

What I anticipated at the beginning took a turn for the worst later on, especially with Lily's point
Shy The WidowMaker
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say I was excited to get back into this world as I liked the first book in the series and wanted to see what had become of Calder and Lily. We start this book out with Lily dealing with graduation and missing Calder. I have to say that I loved Lily more in the first book as she wasn't so clingy and everything wasn't all about Calder. We find her in this book moping around because she has seen him since he left. I felt that she lost some of what made me love her as a character from the ...more
Haley Heflin
Jul 26, 2012 marked it as to-read
Loved the first story in the series and cant wait to here the rest of thr story.
Colleen Houck
I really like the mythology that goes along with origin story of mermaids. I'd love to explore more of that. It was nice to see more of Calder and his sisters. This one felt a little scarier to me than the first which is a good thing.
Bryee
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Could not finish this book!
I feel so bad, but I was bored..... :’(
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
This was a bit disappointing given my love for the first book in this series. I want to thank Net Galley and the publisher, Delacorte Books, for providing me with an eARC of this book to read and review. Obtaining this book for free has in no way influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
Lies Beneath is one of those fantasy books that I did enjoy - I enjoyed every mermaid-y moment of it. It takes a bit of a long time to read the sequel but whatev’s I could say it’s still as enjoying as the first.

Someone is one killing spree - it's either Calder's sister or Lily's father.

From Calder's perspective we now jumped to Lily's perspective. I guess, it has its up and down side to it. It’s good because we somehow see how Lily sees through all of this craziness that seems to be happenin
Rabiah
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-event
Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.sg/20...

After reading Lies Beneath last year, this became one of the sequels I was waiting on desperately! I love Anne Greenwood Brown's writing. Her words have a certain way of capturing you into the story– with romance, with mermaids and with legends.
This was an interesting turn as now we get to hear what happens in Lily's perspective! I really loved Lily's character in the last book and was excited to finally get to know her more.

I felt th
Sexinthelibrary
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens 12 and older
“Death finds us all. Yet I was impatient and had gone looking for it; now there was no going back. My toes curled over the edge of the rock….”

Great opening lines, as did the first in the series, Lies Beneath. However this sequel is slow to start. Lily is exiled to Minneapolis to graduate with her friend Jules. She hasn’t heard from Calder and doesn’t know if he is alive or dead. She is worried about her father (spoiler alert from the first book!) who doesn’t realize that he is a merman. Then, al
Shelley
*Genre* YA Paranormal Mermaids
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Full Review Shortly*

Having heard that this book was supposed to be from Calder's POV, color me disappointed that we didn't get a chance. I would have really liked to learn more about Calder, and especially now that Lily's father has come into his inheritance as it were. Lily is still a smart character who pines just a little bit too much for Calder and then has the audacity to whine whenever he's not around or helping her own father struggle through h
Galleane
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Je tiens à préciser que je n'ai pas détesté cette lecture. Les dix dernières pages (environ) m'ont même bien plu, la donne change, l'auteur a relancé mon intérêt en peu de temps, et je n'ai pas terminé la lecture sur un sentiment négatif. Seulement, trop de points m'ont agacé et c'est ce qui ressort le plus dans mon avis. Selon moi le changement de point de vue dessert l'histoire, ou alors l'auteur aurait dû faire le contraire, ouvrir le bal avec Lily pour le poursuivre avec Calder. Ou alors, vo ...more
Book Sushi
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all i can say is wow!!! This is the sequel to Lies Beneath and the story totally sucked me in. It was a non stop read till the end which leaves a few strings still loose for the author to tie up in the third book.

I actually cant say much with out giving away too much about the story. If you really and truely loved the first book, you are going to enjoy the second on. Although it did leave me with a slight reminder of New Moon when Bella was missing Edward and couldnt function without him. lol bu
Teri
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I LOVED the fact the author decided to switch perspectives to Lily for this story. I really liked her character in the first book,and it was fun to get inside her head in this second story where she becomes even more interesting.

I can't wait for the third one to come out next spring so I can see what Anne has in store for the family of mermaids. That said, this story also could have ended things nicely, so there's a hint of trepidation as well. I assume we're going to see and understand a lot m
Jen Ryland
While Deep Betrayal lost a lot of the things I loved about the first book (Calder's narration, the revenge theme, the carnivorous merfolk) and replaced it with stuff I am less excited about (Lily's narration, lack of revenge, red herrings and a character I liked gone bad) I am still a fan of the way that this series takes the typical mermaid story and gives it .. teeth!

Full review on my blog, YA Romantics
Stefanie
You'd be hard-pressed to find a more stupid and boring leading couple than Lily and Calder. The most interesting character in the whole book is Sophie, the little sister, who barely gets enough page time to make reading this worthwhile. Greenwood Brown has an unforgivable habit of trying to make every character redeemable to the point where the entire book becomes a whiny, navel-gazing diary entry interspersed with Lily's abominable poetry.
Aditi
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This series is truly amazing.. I am honestly hooked and dreading the ending.
Deep Betrayal was a great continuation and it being written from Lily's point of view- made it even more interesting, more to the fact that the ending was completely unexpected.. But I absolutely looooooved it! Already purchased the last book in the series all ready to be read tomorrow:)
Eric King
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great series! I can't wait for the final book, "Promise Bound", to be released. So glad I gave this book a chance.
Amanda Mehaffey
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seriously...I can't get enough of this series. I am moving onto the 3rd and final book. Later I will add a proper review for both 1 and 2 but for now I can't stop reading long enough write one! Best. Teen. Series. Ever!
Caroline
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mermaids, ya, minnesota
While not as good as Lies Beneath, I did enjoy Deep Betrayal.

It was a change to have this book from Lily's POV.

It felt shorter than Lies Beneath as well.

The twist in this one came as less of a surprise, but still kept me with the need to read book 3.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this e-ARC from the publishers via Netgalley for an honest review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

NOTE THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FROM LIES BENEATH, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Deep Betrayal is the sequel to Anne Greenwood Brown's Lies Beneath and this time around, Lily narrates. And it was an intriguing read. I cannot decide if I like Lily narrating more or Calder. It's a toss up honestly!

Deep Betrayal begins one month after the events of Lies Beneath. Lily has been sent back to Mi
Should I read it? 2 10 Jul 02, 2013 11:41PM
  • Werewolf Rage (Taming the Wolf, #2)
  • Temptation (Journal of the Wolves of Spruce Hollow, #1)
  • Resisting The Alpha (The Crane Curse, #2)
  • Blood of the Wolf (Wolves of Black River, #2)
  • Her Billionaire Alpha (Moon Pack Rules #2)
  • Shadow Kissed: Dimitri's POV (Vampire Academy, #3.1)
  • Fury's Fire (Siren's Storm, #2)
  • The Scarred Prince (The Wolf's Pet, # 1)
  • Reawakening the Dragon: Part 4 (Stonefire Dragons, #5, part 4 of 4)
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)
  • Autumn (Dog Days #1)
  • Coercion: Part 3
  • Riley's Curse (A Moon's Glow 0.5)
  • Just a Dream (Carolina Pack, #1)
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Werewolf
  • Claimed by the Elven King: Part Four
  • The Twice Lost (Lost Voices, #3)
Thanks for stopping by!

I am the author of the following Young Adult novels:

COLD HARD TRUTH (contemporary/romance);
GIRL LAST SEEN (contemporary/suspense);
and the paranormal mermaid trilogy: LIES BENEATH, DEEP BETRAYAL, PROMISE BOUND.

I also write adult romance under the name A.S. Green.

Lies Beneath (3 books)
  • Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1)
  • Promise Bound (Lies Beneath, #3)