Start by marking “Healing Grief, Finding Peace: 101 Ways to Cope with the Death of Your Loved One” as Want to Read:
Healing Grief, Finding Peace: 101 Ways to Cope with the Death of Your Loved One

Healing Grief, Finding Peace: 101 Ways to Cope with the Death of Your Loved One

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"Dr. LaGrand's advice and recommendations reach from and to both heart and head...a powerful and important lesson about grief: that even in grief, we can still grow." --Kenneth J. Doka, PhD, senior consultant, Hospice Foundation of America

Whether the death of a loved one is sudden or follows a long battle with illness, there is no way to prepare for the loss of someone clo
Published October 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about Healing Grief, Finding Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Grief, Finding Peace

Karin Grice
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my reading I've found two categories of books dealing with grief: first-person accounts and coping books. Each has value for the grieving person. However, the books most likely to help you move on in a positive and healthy way are those in the second category. "Healing Grief, Finding Peace" is just such a book. It is practical and realistic. It assures you that what you feel and think is perfectly normal, no matter what others say. It is a HOPEFUL book: you have choices and you will not alway ...more
Tami
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
There was a lot of this book I didn't read, as I've already put a lot of these suggestions into practice. There were some really good ones in here though, that I hadn't come across yet. This book, especially the end, has value in helping us all live a more positive life, regardless of whether you're coping with grief.
Jean Brazil
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is by far the best grief book I have read. It provides (as the title states) a multititude of grief actions. Some were not right for me, but many are good ideas. I will keep this one and refer back to it frequently.
Rae
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, grief-stuff
I was initially put off by the title of this book. It just sounds like a really cheesy self-help collection of lists. But it's not that way at all. LaGrand gives practical and varied ideas for coping with grief and loss.

I have really enjoyed and benefited from the wise counsel found in this book on grief recovery. The advice is pithy and just short enough for a morning devotional. I will almost miss reading it, but I'm sure I will be dipping back into it as the need arises. Enough ideas are give
Elyse P
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very helpful, thoughtful and insightful, especially because LaGrand is writing from the viewpoint as a psychologist AND as a person who has experienced a lot of grief himself. Some of his tips didn't apply to me personally, but would definitely be helpful for other family members. I read this as an e-book and would like to purchase a paper version so I can earmark and highlight certain sections and refer back to them.
Lauren
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice blueprint of ideas to help draw out, manage, and address your grief. Very general. As a widow it did not speak to me on a deep level. As a young widow, I felt a little left out but that being stated a nice book with a lot of ideas to help those who are grieving.
Kat
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really helpful book and I recommend it for anyone who's lost someone special. The advice is practical and concrete yet also accounts for spirit and heart. I intend to reread it as I go through the coming months and years in my new reality.
Lynda
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a helpful, concise book that probably has some tool for dealing with grief for everyone. The author provides a variety of coping methods.
J. Dorn
Picked it up for research for a novel I'm writing, read it cover-to-cover because it's useful information not only for those who have lost a loved one, but for anyone recovering from trauma.
Rachael Stein
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Leans a little too heavily on spiritual answers that may not work for every reader, but the suggestions for coping are wise and practical, for the most part.
Courtney
E.A.
May 19, 2016
Ninja
Feb 04, 2013
“Your identity is altered, even though you don’t want it to be. You are not the same person, and some of your friends will relate to you differently. Redefining ourselves, that is, building a new identity after the death of a loved one, is another significant task commonly forgotten in grief work. It’s okay to be a different person than when you started your journey through loss. So ask yourself how much your great loss has affected your identity as a person and how you will rebuild it.” 1 likes
“Does the grief you are experiencing seem unreal? Are you expecting your loved one at any minute to come walking through the door? Do you feel that your life has come to an end without him or her? Are you at a bottomless abyss, feeling out of control? Have you lost trust in your ability to continue on? These feelings and more are not unusual for many mourners. They are common characteristics of the sudden confrontation with change after the death of a loved one. You seem to be losing your sanity; it just doesn’t make sense. All of this is compounded by a series of obstacles: sudden feelings of abandonment, inability to find a good listener, lack of confidence to deal with the future, and lack of reliable information to help ease the searing pain of loss. There” 0 likes