Start by marking “Me Want Pet!” as Want to Read:
Me Want Pet!

Me Want Pet!

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  472 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Cave Boy wants a pet more than anything. Can he find one that the whole family will agree on?

Published March 6th 2012 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Me Want Pet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me Want Pet!

SheriC (PM)
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to SheriC (PM) by: Kaethe on BL
Cute story about a caveboy who desperately wants a pet, but every one that he brings home just isn't suitable for one reason or another.

I liked the colors and illustrations, and I can see how the story could spark discussion/learning opportunities about pet ownership. I can even see how kids would have fun with the "cave language" but I actually found it a little obnoxious. I know it would drive me crazy by the second or third reading.

I'll probably knock this one off my purchase list for my nei
Tara
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Me read book. Me like book. Cave boy sad. He want pet. He find pet. Family no like pet. Me sad, too. But me no stay sad long!

Bold color. Bob Shea draw good. Fun to read. Fun to look. OOGA!

Disclaimer: I am not a cave woman but I play one on the interwebs.
Angela
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tammi, I really enjoyed MOSTLY MONSTERLY when it was released not that long ago, so I had pretty elevated expectations for this one. I didn't love this story as much--probably because of the sheer number of "I want a pet" stories that are published each year, but it is a fun addition to the genre.

Bob, you've really outdone yourself on this one. The textures are super cool. There seems to more depth, your heavy black lines are heavier and the palate is rich and bold, yet a complete departure fro
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
That's right, Cave Boy wants a pet. He brings home a wooly mammoth, a saber-toothed tiger, and a baby dodo bird. His family rejects these pets for the same reasons that parents reject pets today -- they're too big, cause allergies, and aren't house (cave?) trained. Cave Boy and his new friends, however, manage to save the day and Cave Boy ends up with not one but three pets.

Recommended for kindergarten and first grade. A really solid addition to elementary school collections and a lovely comple
Shelli
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super fun read aloud to share, where variety in voices is a must. Talking like a cave person is nearly as fun as talking like a pirate. Not to mention, kids LOVE to talk about what kind of pets they have or wish they had. Great way to start conversations with even the most reluctant talkers.
Akoss
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I've done it. I've managed to come across a picture book I didn't care much for. For some reason I never considered it a possibility.
The story is very simple (too simple in fact). I've read baby books that were more intricate and I felt lost as to what was the goal behind the picture book's premise. But I've been in similar situations before. The straw that broke the back of this camel was the English. I can't understand why making the cave boy and his family speak bad English was considered to
Christy

Cave Boy has lots of things. Rocks. Sticks. A club. But no pet! Cave Boy decides he must have a pet, but his parents object. He brings home animal after animal in hopes of overcoming his parents’ steadfast resistance, but his attempts are unsuccessful—until he finds a Dodo bird that is literally on the verge of extinction. And in a twist ending on a classic concept, Cave Boy and his family discover it’s
Sheri
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story where Cave Boy talks like characters on Sesame Street and other caveboys. Cave boy wants a pet and each time he brings one home he has to give them up. Until there is a terrible event and cave boy calls on his friends to help. See what each animal does and if Cave boy gets to keep a pet by the end.
Jill
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I like this story and the illustrations, but I have a really hard time with the "cave talk." Drives me a little crazy.
Rachel
The domestication process has begun! Me Want Pet! is the slightly silly, epic journey of Cave Boy as he searches for the perfect pet. Each animal he finds though, causes some problem for the family. Similar to many parents today, his give excuses because caring for an animal takes a lot of effort. In this case though, they suddenly change their mind, after a heroic action is performed; most kids do not have this option for convincing their parents. This sudden change of heart is made more believ ...more
Dolly
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is a humorous story about a young boy who wants a pet. The gimmick is that he's a caveboy and the pets he tries to keep include a woolly mammoth, a saber-toothed tiger and a dodo bird.

With a fun narrative and Bob Shea's terrific illustrations, this is an entertaining book to read aloud, especially for our youngest. Our girls occasionally break into baby-talk, with dialogue like "Me want candy." or something ridiculous like that. I usually respond with a comment like, "I don't understand ba
Joella www.cinjoella.com
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little cave boy wants a pet. But there are many reasons why he shouldn't get a pet. They might be too big, too "sneezy", or too messy. But still the cave boy wants a pet. Then, of course the would-be pets prove helpful, and then they find their way in the the cave-family.

This is funny. Of course everyone talks in "cave man" talk...which could get old if the story was too much longer. But this was good. I liked how the reasons why they wouldn't get a cave-pet just happen to be similar reasons
Barbara
Like so many children, Cave Boy has just about everything that a youngster could want--except for a pet. He brings home several possible candidates, but his family rejects them all for various reasons. But when his rejected pets avert a disaster, the family manages to find room for all three of them, a wooly mammoth, a saber-toothed tiger, and a dodo bird. Although I liked the digital illustrations quite a lot, especially the last one showing how the family managed to provide the proper home for ...more
Kristina Jean Lareau
I was skeptical because of the "Me want" thing, but after reading through the whole book, I have decided I love this book. It is colorful--every page has full color. And usually I strongly dislike books whose illustrations are rendered digitally, but Bob Shea skillfully illustrated this book so that it looks as if it is done in crayon. The font is suiting, the narration is fun. I recommend this book!
Arminzerella
Cave Boy really wants a pet, but none of the animals he brings home to the family cave is acceptable. They all hang around, however, and when a stampede threatens the family’s home the animals save Cave Boy from certain death! After that, they are welcomed with open arms – despite size, allergies, and house-breaking issues.

Cute and funny, with bold stylized-scribbled, cave-people-like illustrations.

Excerpt:
“Me want pet!”
“Ug,” grunted Mama.
“He too big. Where he sleep?”
Ingrid
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the second cave-person book I have encountered recently and both are great. My kids think there is something inherently funny in the way they talk and they just work out to be great easy readers. If you like this, you should also read, Me Hungry by Jeremy Tankard. Bob Shea illustrations are also great. This would work well in a Pet-themed Storytime or a Prehistoric Storytime (that would be a new one).
John Clark
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Line-like drawings and short text entries combine to tell a decent story about a cave boy in prehistoric times. He wants a pet. His first attempt results in bringing home one that's too big, the second, one that makes his dad sneeze. When he brings home one that is small, but not potty trained, an unusual event lands him more than he expected, but leaves him a very happy cave boy. Nice, simple story that will be enjoyed by most preschoolers.
Rachel
I picked this book for my first Toddler Storytime. It was the cute story of a young caveman who wants a pet but his family is not enthused with his choices of Wooly Mammoth, Saber Tooth Tiger, and a Dodo. These animals come in handy though when the family is attacked. So Cave Boy gets three instead of one pet. Loved the illustrations, they were very cute. Recommended for ages 2-6, 3 stars.
Beth
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing

When Cave Boy decides that he wants a pet, he brings a variety of options home that his family quickly rejects. So the question is, he finally get the pet he's always wanted.

This darling picture book stands out with its creative premise and darling illustrations. A great book to use with kids when you want them to star making predictions.
Amy
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ug! Me loved this! Me know Kindergartners will too! No boring book, just lot and lot of laugh. Kindergartners will want to talk like cave boy! I just can't wait to share this with them!

Update: Kids didn't love it as much as I thought they would. Maybe it was me. Maybe my caveman voice didn't translate well. :(
Kaethe
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a case of a great pairing: Shea does those dinosaur books I like so much, and that makes him perfect to illustrate Sauer's story of a cave boy trying to find the perfect pet. Ignoring the historical inaccuracy of presenting these particular species together*, it makes for a charming story.

Library copy

*As one usually has to do with picture books
Traci
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
In true caveman dialect and drawings Tammi Sauer and Bob Shea have created an amusing picture book about how even in caveman days, pets were begged for and sought after.

Children will love this book and entice them to learn about days of long ago.

Must read book!

A Paula Wiseman Book published by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.
Sandy Brehl
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This cave boy twist on the familiar boy-wants-pet story involves a wooly mammoth, saber-toothed tiger, and do-do chick. Despite the unusual circumstances and language, kids recognize the familiar parental objections to his requests.
Liz Todd
I wanted to read this simple book over and over. Adorable character and wonderful illustrations! I got stuck a little with the end of the story. I wasn't sure how the wooly mammoth and saber-toothed tiger got involved again. Still, it didn't ruin this great little book. Loved it.
Sarah Hay
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about a little cave boy in search of the perfect pet. The illustrations are like cave drawings and the characters talk as we imagine cave people would. Very cute and amusing story.
Stephanie Croaning
If you are good at doing voices, this would make a fun read-aloud. Other than that, there I feel there are better books out there about kids that beg mom and dad for a pet. Bob Shea's illustrations are a very good fit for the story. 3 out of 5 stars.
Great Books
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Possibly the first child to ask his parents for a pet, Cave Boy goes through several possibilities until he finds the right pet. The Stone Age language and bold illustrations will delight all pet seekers. Reviewer 11.
Sharon
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Me Want Pet is such a cute book! It is fun and rereadable! The language is good fun and will be enjoyed by children. I can so see little ones running around taking "caveman." Great book! Fun Illustrations too!
Tim Vandenberg
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Super Cute!

Great Art & Caveman Talk really make this book a joy to share aloud. Read this together with my 8-year-old daughter (we don't have a pet yet....she's long overdue for one!), and she laughed along & thoroughly enjoyed it. Will make you smile, for sure.
Peggy Archer
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cave Boy really wants a pet. He brings home a wooly mammoth, a saber-toothed tiger, and a dodo bird, but for reasons of their own, none of them are welcome. Read the book to see if Cave Boy finds a pet. The most fun part of the book is the 'cave-man' language. :)
  • Homer
  • Dog in Charge
  • The Belly Book
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • More Bears!
  • Red Cat, Blue Cat
  • Another Brother
  • The Twins' Blanket
  • Huff & Puff
Tammi Sauer is the author of Cowboy Camp (Sterling, 2005), Chicken Dance (Sterling, 2009), Mostly Monsterly (Paula Wiseman/S&S, 2010), the forthcoming Princess-in-Training (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), and something that's currently Top Secret.

Tammi and her family live in Oklahoma with one dog, two geckos, and a tank full of random fish.
More about Tammi Sauer

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This