Start by marking “Oh No, George!” as Want to Read:
Oh No, George!

Oh No, George!

Bold, hilarious artwork captures the innocent charm of affable George, a dog who is trying to be good — with disastrous results.

George is a dog with all the best intentions. And his owner, Harry, has all the best hopes that George will be a well-behaved dog when he leaves him alone for the day. But when George spies a delicious cake sitting on the kitchen table, his resolv
Published March 13th 2012 by Candlewick (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Oh No, George!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh No, George!

Richie Partington
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: OH NO, GEORGE! by Chris Haughton, Candlewick, March 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-5546-4

“’You know, Toad,’ said Frog, with his mouth full, ‘I think we should stop eating. We will soon be sick.’
“’You are right,’ said Toad. ‘Let us eat one last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one last cookie. There were many cookies left in the bowl.
“’Frog,’ said Toad, ‘let us eat one very last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one very last cookie.
“’We must stop ea
Ana
I never resist cats. I see no reason to do so.
Melissa
I like how in each "What will George do?" page, George looks just a little bit sketchier and a little bit more beleaguered. George's big-nosed person--and really the whole color palette & the style of the shapes of the objects on the page--make me think of the Pink Panther cartoons. This is really nicely paced for storytime, true-to-life about wrestling with temptation. LOVE the cliffhanger ending. Wish I still did a preschool storytime so we could talk about it together!
Ruth Govaerts
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George is my spirit animal. Who wouldn't eat that cake?
SCPSReads
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has been a hit for all grade level story times (k-2). We used this in conjunction with making predictions and it was a resounding success. I also created a passive programming writing activity that lets students write if George digs in the trash or not. Some of the students are firm believers that George will keep his promise and not dig in the trash! What a great use of the library writing center!
Jessica
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
A silly, funny book with bold, exciting pictures. Poor George knows he should be good, but it's all so tempting! What will George do?
Kim Raymond
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Merveilleux petit album cartonné sur les désirs, la tentation et le vraie liberté. Bérénice adore la drôle de dégaine de ce chien qui n'a, comme elle, pas beaucoup de contrôle sur ses pulsions. J'aime aussi les habiletés de pré-lecture qu'elle développe en feuilletant le livre elle-même et en étant en mesure de relater l'action dans ses mots: "Oh non, George il mange le gâteau!!".

Un coup de coeur ici.
Kate Wells
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
We can all relate to the temptation of cake! This book follows the moral dilemma's of George the dog who 'hopes' he'll be good whilst his owner is out. George is confronted by many things that he loves doing but knows he shouldn't, especially if he is to keep his word that he'll be good. For example the vibrant orange and purple illustrations show George looking at a cake, "I said I'd be good, George thinks, but I LOVE cake.' The book then asks us, 'What will George do?' which is a brilliant opp ...more
Paul  Hankins
An otherwise good dog is challenged by temptations when his friend, Harry, goes out for a bit. But who can resist cake, dirt, or the cat?

I like the understated illustrations in this one that give the book a I WANT MY HAT BACK meets PETE THE CAT meets No, DAVID! that is rendered like one really, really talented with the old paint programs we used to use when bored with the computer (before the internet, kids).

I ran this one by Maddie (9) who chuckled at the voices we used, but she also liked som
Neeyor Bose
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some times a dog just can't be good! I can relate...
Sarah Brombley
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emotions
Lovely story about George’s journey to learn self-control. Beautifully illustrated and leaves the reader with a question about whether or not the behaviour will stick!
Laura's Book Addiction
A nice little story.
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
This book at first appears to be a simple story of a dog being left at home, but it is so much more than that as the reader gets pulled into George’s emotions of excitement, deliberation, naughtiness, and remorse. A great way to teach kids about temptation but also forgiveness. Harry forgives George when he makes a mess at home, which I thought was very sweet; a lesson I need to be reminded of from time to time.

There are three temptations in the book a cake, cat, and flowers which each appear tw
Big Book Little Book
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alison for www.bigbooklittlebook.com

I love this book! I really wish that it had been around when my son was a bit younger. He is a typical boy, who gets into lots of mischief, but deep down really wants to behave and this would have been the perfect book to introduce a discussion into those contrasting feelings to him.

The pictures should really appeal to young ones. Very simple and based around bight oranges and reds they are eye catching and give you lots to talk about without being too distrac
Clare Neale
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
We read Oh No George by Chris Haughton in a PGCE English lesson and we all loved the rhythmic writing and the repetition used in the story. It was a really fun read that I hope I can enjoy reading to my own KS1 class.

The book tells the story of a dog named George who continually disobeys his owner Harris who asked him to be good before he left him on his own for the day. Seeing cake in the kitchen, ‘George thinks, but I LOVE cake. What will George do?’ Inevitably George consumes the entire cake
Amber
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dogs do not really want to misbehave - they just have less willpower than their human owners!

But really, is George to blame when Harry left the scrumptious looking cake on the table, just within reach? Is George to blame for his downward spiral after that, giving into his every whim and temptation when his resolve was so broken down with that cake in front of his face?

I enjoyed this book very much. The colors are popping and the story is cute and applicable to all dog owners and lovers. How many
Dolly
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets, humor
We recently read Little Owl Lost by this author and saw that he had a new book out. We loved the dog on the cover and just had to borrow it from our local library.

This tale is funny, repetitive and in the case of many dogs, all-too true. We really enjoyed reading this book together and we liked it even more than Little Owl Lost. The illustrations are very orange-y, but they are very fun and expressive. Our girls joined in on the refrain of "Oh no, George!" with a lot of enthusiasm. I think this
Eyehavenofilter
George loves to eat cake, chase cats, dig in the garbage and all sorts of other things that dogs love to do. But can he resist when his boy leaves him in the house alone? OF COURSE NOT! But that doesn't stop this from being a terrifficly adorable book on human nature and how and why we should behave and the results of giving in to what we want to do, when we shouldn't. This illustrations are simple but "funny as all get out", and I fell I love with the expressions on George's face!
A dog is a di
James Wallis
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Normally I demand that books have an ending. It's kind of fundamental: beginning; middle; end. If a story is missing one of those I get upset. Yet Oh No, George! has no ending, in fact it kind of depends on the fact it has no ending, and I commend it to you without reservation. It is delightful for the tinies and delightful for the grown-ups, and its charm does not diminish on repeated readings which is vital in a kids' book.

Along with 'I Want My Hat Back', this is the book we'll be giving as b
Mary
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
LOVE the illustrations and the story is wonderful. I feel like the author got inside a dog's head - George WANTS to be good, HOPES to be good, but in the end, doing the thing he loves wins out. Or does it? I like that the story has a completely open ending. The teachers for the class I read it to thought it would be a great story extension - the kids can write/draw their own endings! DID George get into the trash? Or was he good?
Elisabeth
It's hard to resist impulses to do things you shouldn't. George, the dog learns how to apologize for what he's done and resist impulses in the future. Simple and fun. Enjoyable art. This is one of my littlest's new faves.
Jill
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kids will relate to this dog who has every intention of being good, but just can't help himself when tempted. It will be fun to let the kids answer the question "what will George do?" and also to decide for themselves whether or not he digs in the trash.
Christian West
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mmm cake. George the dog has been left alone at home, will he succumb to temptation? Very cute story.
Sara Grochowski
Very fun in board book form! Loved the illustrations, especially the expressions from George and others.
N
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a realistic story in that sometimes you're good.. and sometimes not so much. I think children can identify with that struggle.
Kelly
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SO CUTE! I love this book. It's like what happens before a dog shaming. Also a reminder that dogs don't mean to be bad. At least not most dogs.
Heather
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Definitely using this in storytime!
Jess
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This vibrant book tells the lovely story of George and his love for everything that is bad. No matter how hard he tries to be good, he just can't help himself when it comes to his favourite things. This is a book that is easy to relate to no matter what your age. Should you have another slice of cake?

The illustrations are bold and vibrant using manly orangey reds and pinks. The subject to which George is about to approach is illustrated in full block colour whilst the scenery around it is thin
Eshelley
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Picture Books

Copyright Date: 2012

Estimate of age level of interest: Preschool-Grade 2

Estimate of reading level: Grade 2

Brief description: George the dog struggles to avoid temptation when left home alone.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book:
"Colors can evoke strong emotional connections in readers." In "Oh No, George!" the bright primary colors help to convey a sense of
Erika
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
This was a great opener to my toddler storytime on the 31st. George strives to be a good dog, but he can't help but give in to his desires! Chris Haughton is one of my favorite picture book authors because of his colorful, unique illustrations and his ability to interact with his readers through storytelling. WHAT WILL GEORGE DO?! The kids had fun trying to guess what would happen next.
  • Another Brother
  • Chloe
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Oh, No!
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Dog in Charge
  • Oliver
  • My Dad Is Big And Strong, BUT...: A Bedtime Story
  • Brief Thief
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • For Just One Day
Chris Haughton is an Irish illustrator and author living in London. He was listed in Time magazine's 'DESIGN 100' for the work he has been doing for fair trade clothing company People Tree. His debut book 'A Bit Lost' was first published in English in September 2010. It has been translated into 15 languages and won 9 awards in 7 countries including the Dutch Picturebook of the Year.
'Oh No George'