Start by marking “Oh No, George!” as Want to Read:
Oh No, George!

Oh No, George!

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,998 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
Bold, hilarious artwork captures the innocent charm of affable George, a dog who is trying to be good — with disastrous results.

George is a dog with all the best intentions. And his owner, Harry, has all the best hopes that George will be a well-behaved dog when he leaves him alone for the day. But when George spies a delicious cake sitting on the kitchen table, his resolv
Published March 13th 2012 by Candlewick (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Oh No, George!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh No, George!

Ana Rînceanu
I never resist cats. I see no reason to do so.
Richie Partington
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: OH NO, GEORGE! by Chris Haughton, Candlewick, March 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-5546-4

“’You know, Toad,’ said Frog, with his mouth full, ‘I think we should stop eating. We will soon be sick.’
“’You are right,’ said Toad. ‘Let us eat one last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one last cookie. There were many cookies left in the bowl.
“’Frog,’ said Toad, ‘let us eat one very last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one very last cookie.
“’We must stop ea
Melissa
I like how in each "What will George do?" page, George looks just a little bit sketchier and a little bit more beleaguered. George's big-nosed person--and really the whole color palette & the style of the shapes of the objects on the page--make me think of the Pink Panther cartoons. This is really nicely paced for storytime, true-to-life about wrestling with temptation. LOVE the cliffhanger ending. Wish I still did a preschool storytime so we could talk about it together!
SCPSReads
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has been a hit for all grade level story times (k-2). We used this in conjunction with making predictions and it was a resounding success. I also created a passive programming writing activity that lets students write if George digs in the trash or not. Some of the students are firm believers that George will keep his promise and not dig in the trash! What a great use of the library writing center!
Jessica
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
A silly, funny book with bold, exciting pictures. Poor George knows he should be good, but it's all so tempting! What will George do?
Kate Wells
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
We can all relate to the temptation of cake! This book follows the moral dilemma's of George the dog who 'hopes' he'll be good whilst his owner is out. George is confronted by many things that he loves doing but knows he shouldn't, especially if he is to keep his word that he'll be good. For example the vibrant orange and purple illustrations show George looking at a cake, "I said I'd be good, George thinks, but I LOVE cake.' The book then asks us, 'What will George do?' which is a brilliant opp ...more
Paul  Hankins
An otherwise good dog is challenged by temptations when his friend, Harry, goes out for a bit. But who can resist cake, dirt, or the cat?

I like the understated illustrations in this one that give the book a I WANT MY HAT BACK meets PETE THE CAT meets No, DAVID! that is rendered like one really, really talented with the old paint programs we used to use when bored with the computer (before the internet, kids).

I ran this one by Maddie (9) who chuckled at the voices we used, but she also liked som
Neeyor Bose
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some times a dog just can't be good! I can relate...
Sarah Brombley
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emotions
Lovely story about George’s journey to learn self-control. Beautifully illustrated and leaves the reader with a question about whether or not the behaviour will stick!
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
This book at first appears to be a simple story of a dog being left at home, but it is so much more than that as the reader gets pulled into George’s emotions of excitement, deliberation, naughtiness, and remorse. A great way to teach kids about temptation but also forgiveness. Harry forgives George when he makes a mess at home, which I thought was very sweet; a lesson I need to be reminded of from time to time.

There are three temptations in the book a cake, cat, and flowers which each appear tw
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Oh, No!
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Another Brother
  • Boot & Shoe
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Homer
  • Chloe
  • Black Dog
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Brief Thief
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • One Gorilla
  • A Home for Bird
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
Chris Haughton is an Irish illustrator and author living in London. He was listed in Time magazine's 'DESIGN 100' for the work he has been doing for fair trade clothing company People Tree. His debut book 'A Bit Lost' was first published in English in September 2010. It has been translated into 15 languages and won 9 awards in 7 countries including the Dutch Picturebook of the Year.
'Oh No George'
More about Chris Haughton...