Start by marking “On Broadway” as Want to Read:
On Broadway

On Broadway

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A collection of the stories of Damon Runyon who presents the 1950s world of guys and dolls on Broadway.
Published (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about On Broadway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Broadway

Marco Ocram
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a book of short stories narrated by a shady character living in 1930's New York. Each story is self-contained, usually with a clever plot and a surprise ending, but there are some characters that crop up from story to story, almost all of them comic gangsters.

Exemplary style. Written almost entirely in the present tense, with considerable deliberate repetition, and yet a delight. Read this if you want to broaden your appreciation of style while enjoying twisty story-lines and plenty of
Paul Brazill
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know you’ve made it as a writer when your name is used as an adjective: Runyonesque. Damon Runyon is probably best known for the film adaptations of his stories such as Guys and Dolls and The Lemon Drop Kid. He created his own world with a number of pithy short stories set amongst the low lifes of New York’s Broadway during the 1930. These yarns, sometimes shaggy dog stories, are peppered with gaudy, fast talking characters and smart punch lines. The language and the style is Runyon’s own. M ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These are the stories that gave rise to that best of all musicals, Guys and Dolls. Damon Runton's unique way with the English language brings vividly to life his chosen milieu - the 1930s Manhattan of minor crooks and their molls.

In today's politically correct environment, the book could never have been published - and we would be the poorer for that.

The enormous pleasure to be derived fromm the audio version is entirely due to a narrator who always seems to be telling a story, not reading from
Andrew Peters
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant. Sadly he's much neglected these days, but he's one of the funniest guys ever tom pound a typewriter.....read him, you won't be sorry. Awesome short stories.
Lucy
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just wonderful. I can't believe how few reviews there are, is he out of fashion? So funny, so clever, so consistent in style, I wish he'd written more. I can't recommend Runyon highly enough.
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-york, fiction
On Broadway is a dazzling, brilliant story and reading it is just like being up there on Broadway itself, complete with unforgettable characters and glittering scenery.
Rachel
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Each story is a little gem.
Joey Diamond
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
In fact, I love me some Runyon.
Whistlers Mom
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic stories. TINY print.

Several months ago, a Kindle edition of the Runyon collection MORE THAN SOMEWHAT appeared. It reminded me of how much I love Runyon's classic "Broadway stories" and I set out to collect them all. I discovered that an English publisher (Pan books) printed two books said to contain all of Runyon's stories. I bought the second volume (FROM FIRST TO LAST) and came back for this one.

My other Runyon collections contain 20 stories and appear to be "trade" (library) publ
Ted Rabinowitz
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Damon Runyon was a Depression-era O. Henry, and a creator of an entire American vernacular. His short stories are fast, funny, cynical, sentimental, and the precursors to any American gangster, Mob or Vegas story told in the 20th Century, from Jimmy Breslin to Mario Puzo.
Jonathan Hulme
Aug 31, 2010
BigDog
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Do Butlers Burgle Banks?
  • 100 Selected Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • Stagestruck (Peter Diamond, #11)
  • August Folly
  • The House Behind the Cedars
  • How to Be an Alien: A Handbook for Beginners and Advanced Pupils
  • Molesworth
  • Collected Stories of John O'Hara
  • Collins-Robert French-English, English-French Dictionary =: Robert-Collins Dictionnaire Francais-Anglais, Anglais-Francais
  • Broadway Musicals: The 101 Greatest Shows of All Time
  • The Awkward Age
  • The Time of Our Time
  • My Son, My Son
  • The Card: A Story of Adventure in the Five Towns
Alfred Damon Runyon (October 4, 1880 – December 10, 1946) was an American newspaperman and writer.

Damon Runyon was born as Alfred Damon Runyan to a family of newspapermen in Manhattan, Kansas. His grandfather was a newspaper printer from New Jersey who had relocated to Manhattan, Kansas in 1855, and his father was editor of his own newspaper in the town. In 1882 Runyon's father was forced to sell
More about Damon Runyon...

“The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.” 14 likes