Start by marking “The Chosen” as Want to Read:
The Chosen

The Chosen

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
On a hot June day in the sleepy town of Rockville, Jessie Conway, a teacher at the local high school, notices a car driving slowly around the school grounds. Twenty minutes later Jessie is fighting for her life and Rockville is plunged into a living nightmare after a gun-toting student unleashes bloody mayhem. For Jessie the horror is just beginning. Traumatized and hounde ...more
Published May 14th 2012 by Portnoy Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chosen

Grace Tierney
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having previously read one of Hunt's Ireland based detective novels I was a bit wary of reading a thriller based in the US by this Irish author, but I was wrong. She catches the accents and ways of speaking perfectly, I think and the book moves at a ripping pace, I stayed up until the wee small hours to finish it. She even manages to use a bra as a weapon which gave me a laugh. The story is split in three parts, one following serial killer and hunter extreme, Switch as he prepares for his next k ...more
Matt
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-ebooks
The reason why I like this book is not the face-paced and action-packed story that made me forget about charging my eReader.
And it's not the scenic setting in rural North Carolina.
And it's not even the well-developed characters (major and minor).
It's the way people interact, the language used in dialogs.
Most of these I had to read out loud, just for the sound of it.
Oh, and it's the dogs.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Ngarie
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. The only down side to this novel is that it ended. The character development kept me hooked from beginning to end. The tension never let up! Easy to read. Hard to forget. Exactly what a novel should be.
Sami
Jul 30, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
Cracking thriller from an Irish favourite.
Steven Barron
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story was amazing, but the editing was annoying. There were a lot of typos. The best serial killer book I’ve read since The Shining Girls.

I’m a little hesitant to read one of her Ireland based books, only because of the possibility of accents being written in. If I come across one of her other books I will definitely be buying it.

Four Stars because of the typos, but five stars based on the story.
Elizabeth A.
Located in the mountains of North Carolina near the Tennessee border, the sedate town of Rockville is rocked to its core when two students pull a Columbine-style shooting at the local high school early one morning.

Though three are killed and five wounded, the final toll would have been much worse but for the efforts of teacher Jessie Conway, who rushes into the cafeteria and confronts the shooters. When the dust settles both shooters lie dead, one at the hands of Jessie, who is also injured in t
Sam Blake
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On a hot summer’s day in the sleepy American town of Rockville, Jessie Conway, a teacher at the local high school, notices a car driving slowly around the school grounds.

Twenty minutes later Jessie is fighting for her life and Rockville is plunged into living nightmare after a gun-toting student unleashes bloody mayhem.

For Jessie the horror is just beginning. Traumatized and hounded by the media she retreats to her home and tries to rebuild her shattered life.

Caleb Switch watches the development
Nadine
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fertig-gelesen
Rezi folgt nach d Ich habe mir das Buch gekauft da es um das Sensible Thema Amoklauf in einer Schule ging, so fing es jedenfalls an.
Ich hatte mir was ganz anderes unter diesem Buch vorgestellt.
Es geht um Jessie die bei diesen Amoklauf in der Schule war und miterleben musste wie einige Leute erschossen wurde und hat dann selber es geschafft die Amokläufer zu stoppen, sie selber verletzt worden.
So dann kam natürlich das Sie das nicht so verarbeiten kann und sich in ihrer Welt zurück zieht.
Immer wi
Nadine Maigatter
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fertig-gelesen
Ich hatte mir was ganz anderes unter diesem Buch vorgestellt.
Es geht um Jessie die bei diesen Amoklauf in der Schule war und miterleben musste wie einige Leute erschossen wurde und hat dann selber es geschafft die Amokl��ufer zu stoppen, sie selber verletzt worden.
So dann kam nat��rlich das Sie das nicht so verarbeiten kann und sich in ihrer Welt zur��ck zieht.
Immer
Adrienne Power
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Taunt thriller that keeps you turning the pages. It starts with an action packed scene as Jessie Conway, a teacher in a small town high-school, manages to stop an all-out massacre when two kids with guns lock up the school and start shooting. Jessie’s best-friend and the vice principal as well as a number of kids are killed that day. Jessie gets caught up in a media thunderstorm which causes further problems for her and her family. She becomes the focus of a clever serial killer called Caleb Swi
Susan
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With a riveting plot and well-developed characters, you are immediately sucked right in to this book. From the opening pages, you are introduced to the heroine, Jessie Conway and you immediately feel a bond with this brave, yet vulnerable woman. Her husband Mike is a strong, solid man but for some reason it is his brother, Ace, who steals the show. And all of that before you have been introduced to Caleb Switch, the serial killer, who focuses his attention on Jessie . . . An action-packed book, ...more
Mary Crawford
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How brilliant to find a new author. I sailed through this book. It had everything...violent act which results in communication breakdown which makes the main character vulnerable. Are you a type A person (more of a challenge) or type B person (vulnerability apparent) and how does a hunter recognise the difference and then go for the kill. Family relationships include the withdrawn bad son who knows the right red neck, the repentant mother in law and the husband trying to keep it together. Will b ...more
J.J. Toner
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I nearly didn't read this book because of the small font size, but I tried a couple of chapters and got hooked! It rattles along nicely. The writing style is good although I could see places where, if I had been the editor, I would have suggested tighter constructions. IMO the book is perhaps 10% overlong, with one or two unnecessary characters. I found a few typos (I always do) -- perhaps 35 in total. That's one every 10 pages or so and better than average.

Having said all that, it has a strong
Karen
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Well written, plotted and paced. Liked the characters, even the minor ones were real people, their characters delineated in a couple of sentences, so you knew who you were dealing with. Great serial killer, the level of viloence(if that kind of thing worries you) I would equate with Deliverance, very violent but all under the surface, behind the scenery. A really good read. Will definitely read some more of her work.
Stephanie
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
The number of typos in this book, for me, really detracted from the enjoyment of the book. The story was interesting enough--a high school teacher risks her life to attack and defeat two teens who open fire in the school. She and her loved ones deal with the repercussions, but she also attracts the attention of a serial killer. We know that she has the instincts to survive, but the chase is still exciting.
Wilde Sky
A school teacher in a sleepy US town kills two gunmen who are attacking her school which brings to her the attention of a serial killer.

The basic idea for this book is good, but the execution (in terms of writing and dialogue) was disappointing. In certain places the plot jumped and / or drifted too much.

Overall not a bad read but could have been better.
Tom Galvin
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A contemporary thriller using a tragic event at a school as a springboard to a wider plot. A rainbow of characters tumble in and out without ever interrupting the flow, which is real page-tunrner territory. Made for the movies.
Jennifer G
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A teacher somehow manages to overpower a school gunman, and becomes a hero. However, in the media aftermath, she catches the attention of a serial killer, and becomes his next target.

I found the book to be fast-paced, interesting and entertaining. It was not the 'usual' serial killer novel.
Catherine
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Very original and great characters. I was glued to it to the end. I loved all Arlene's books previously which were set in Dublin and as this was the first one out of Ireland I wondered if she could pull it off. She does!!
Hilary
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Took a while to get going but when it came together it was a decent story. Another book with a strange main character, intense and damaged. Basically about a deranged man hunting what he considers Grade A,B and C in the form of women. Not the usual Arlene Hunt style but good all the same.
Mary Lou
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: irish-crime
A cracking thriller. Good writing, a brilliantly planned background and great cast, with a gripping, exciting action packed story. Completely satisfying
Natha
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Quick read! Enjoyed this book; suspenseful and engaging. Whomever edited the book, however, did a poor job.
Orpee7
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice re-invention of the classic chase novel. Stripped down prose and great dialogue mean this is a pacy, exciting book. Excellent.
Peze
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good initial impact, then slows for a little bit, before taking off again at a really good pace. Easy to read, and well worthwhile.
Chantelle Mcintyre
Aug 18, 2013
Cathy
Jan 20, 2013
Patricia Gibney
Nov 13, 2013
Nicky
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Not a lot more needs to be said. Arlene is a magician with words. Loved it.
John Rae