Start by marking “The Blue Roan Child” as Want to Read:
The Blue Roan Child

The Blue Roan Child

First published to great critical acclaim in Canada, this unforgettable adventure traces the magical relationship between a young girl and a wild mare. A horse story like no other.

Syeira is an orphaned girl who lives in a magical land. Fate pairs Syeira with Arwin, a wild mare whose two colts have been taken from her by the evil Lord Ran. Syeira pledges to help Arwin, and
Published June 1st 2004 by Chicken House (first published August 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Roan Child, please sign up.
Laurie (AFozenBookParadise) Yes, though it is a low fantasy with not much magic at all.
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
1,292 books — 629 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
Best Horse Books
456 books — 338 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Blue Roan Child
dimblethum
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this book sometime in elementary school I want to say, and I just never read it. I found it at the beginning of the year and decided that I was finally going to sit down and conquer it and I'm very glad I did. It's a wonderful story of a girl who lost her mother and was raised in a stable, so she has a great connection with horses. There's a wild mare and two colts that are kept in the stable she frequents and one day the colts are stolen and the girl must team up with the wild mare to ...more
Topaz Goold
This book was a delight to read. The most powerful aspect was the vivid imagery Findlay incorporated into every page. Syeira was a thoroughly imagined character. Her connection to the horses was palpable. I find it hard to believe that Jamieson knew nothing about horses before writing this story.
As for pace, the story moves along slowly but an intricate story is woven and that makes it all worth it. It never gets boring and everything that happens to Syeiara connects with her past, present
Elena
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not even a horse person but I LOVED this book? I read it years ago but it haunted me, I kept going back and getting it at the library again and again. It's such a weird and unique story. I loved the idea of the Horse charm man, and this idyllic land of Arva, and the mysterious winged horses that you never truly see. Some of it was freaky and dark, which offset the plucky-horse-girl part of it nicely.

Easy to read for anybody above like, fourth grade probably. It did end abruptly, but I kind
Nowlin
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time starting this book because I had just finished reading a very difficult work of literature, and it was hard to get back to reading something fun and adventurous. But once I got started, I couldn't stop. Action packed from beginning to end, this incredible page turner about a girl and her horse is certainly a memorable read. Although the pace is a little too fast, I enjoyed this book more than most other fantasy stories I've read. This book was fun, it was emotional, and it was ...more
Chelsea
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at Big Lots back when I was probably like 13 or 14. I picked it up because I thought the cover looked interesting. As soon as I started reading it I couldn't put it down. A beautiful tale of trust and friendship between a lonely but brave girl and a horse. I'm 19 now and I still read and love this story. Never gets old. It's too bad this book wasn't very popular. I wish the author wrote more books.
Laurie (AFozenBookParadise)
I need more of Syeira right now.

This book took me longer to read than normal because I was dissecting and absorbing all of it. Plus I did not want it to end. It captivated my inner child and kept me captivated throughout all 400 plus pages.

This was such a good book. The Blue Roan Child is an endearing tale about an orphaned stable girl determined to help a wild horse get back to her two Colts. They travel across the kingdoms, encounter strange plants in dark forests, make allies and enemies, and
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Hard to get in to. mostly just wanted to read it because I've searched for years for this book, not remembering the title and only the cover art. when I finally remembered on chance, I borrowed it. It was definitely a better read as a kid.
Linda
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't get into the storyline right away. I felt it was a bit episodic and not connected. as I went on. though, the storyline developed into an exciting adventure. I would have liked a more detailed map. all in all, I'm glad I finished the story.
Zoom
If I were an 11-year-old horse lover with a taste for fantasy-adventure, I might love this book.
Sandy Carmichael
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a young people's book, but I totally enjoyed it. At times it almost lost me, but kept me hooked in and on I read. So glad I did, really liked the story.
Addie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I don’t think I’ve ever given a one star rating before. Most bizarre and confusing book I’ve ever read.
Adessa Leibfried
This was a really good book about this girl and horse who are unseperatable. They look for the mares baby twin foals and they are on a missionto get the foals back. They are tricked and desieved. They make friends along the way. They even create a war and end it. This is an exciting book. Read if you dare.
Leia
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unlike any horse book I've ever read. The writing is ethereal and at the same time wholly grounded in the world Findlay has created.
Helen
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is extremely magical, and a must-read for any young teen with a passion for reading. I have had this book for many years and even though I may have outgrown the horsey books, the twenty something year old me cannot help but take down this book for another read.

This book has powerful imagery and imaginative language. Syeira is an interesting character that I would love to be, with some amazing connections to horses. The storyline isn't too complex for the young reader, however the text
Elentarien
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very well written. Picturesque and engrossing.

My only real complaint about the story is it seemed to end very abruptly, begging for a sequel or something that would end it a bit more gently.

I also had a complaint about the writing in the sense that the author kept on saying that the horse and girl 'rode' here, and 'rode' there. Which really got to me. The horse was *NOT* riding. The girl was riding, but 'they' did not 'ride' anywhere. The horse was running and doing all the work. It was not
Faith
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Syeira is an orphan girl who lives and works in a stable. Her favorite horses are the Arva horses. One day Arwin's colts our taken by Lord Ran. Syeira decides to help Arwin get her colts back. " To the end of her life, to the last of dream of old age, she would always remember these two wild smells-the Arva horse, the muddy river-and how they had carried her out of a lonely childhood" (Findlay 12).

Reasons why I liked this book-

Reason 1- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 2- I could imagine what was
Emily LOVES ya
Apr 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am truly surprised at the ratings of this book. I had to read it for a drama exam, and I hated every word of it. I banged my head against the wall repeatedly whilst reading this droning, mellodramatic excuse for a "fantasy page-turner". I found the main character a bit of a Mary-sue, and all the other characters were un-developed, leaving them flat and boring. The plot dragged on and on and on...Nothing happened to keep me reading( if I had a choice). A real dissapointment, I'm sorry to say...
Hanni
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I was torn between 3/4 stars on this book, because while I did like it, in some places it felt like the author was trying to fit too many stories/concepts into one. The subplots were intriguing throughout, but at the end I felt almost cheated when they were either ignored or wrapped up too quickly. Some of the language was quite beautiful, though-- describing the two colts at the beginning "They walked as though they could breathe through their skin."
Liz Yardley
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the plot although I felt as if the Quest went on too long and the ending was too sudden.
It is well-written with interesting characters each representing something we need to learn about human nature. It is a book you can put down and come back to continue reading. For reasons above, I couldn't read it all in one sitting. I'd be very interested in seeing what Findlay writes next.
Kaitlin
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can still picture the exact spot that this book resided in the Regency Square Library, and I can remember pulling it off the shelf and deciding to take it home. Beyond that, I remember only that I loved it. I'm sure a book about a girl raised with horses immediately captured my imagination, because I was obsessed with horses. I definitely need to read this again!
Fiona
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was younger and going through my horse stage, but even if I didn't like horses so much I'm sure I would have still loved this story with the magic and adventure. A beautifully spun story.
Virginia
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
this was exciting and soulful and lovely. wonderful storytelling with lots of twists that were a little odd, but not forced:) If as his notes say, he didn't know anything about horses before writing this, he sure learned well:)
Livvy
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Blue Roan Child is an interesting book as it is set in a mystical world with weird people and freaky places. It concentrates on one girl and it shows that everyone can do whatever they want to do.
Madison H.
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved how this was written! It was like I could see and smell everything! Wonderful wonderful! But what I didn't like was that all the women are good and all the men are either dumb or evil. But everything else was lovely!
Alexandra
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very easy read about a girl and near, if not, magical connection to her horse. The conflicts resolve easily but not boringly and the whole book, while about an adventure, finds it's strength in it's characters and their individual tales.
Capri
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bromwyn!!!
I love the flow and the images in this book. His writing is beautiful and entrancing. As a horse lover, how could I not like it?
Liaken
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retellings
This book has wonderful sensory description for scents. Much of the book is told through the sense of smell, but it never gets old.
Lacey
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realism
The writing style in the Blue Roan Child is by far my favourite.
Kathryn
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
An enjoyable children's adventure that could appeal to horse lovers of all ages. It has an exciting storyline, with vivid descriptions to set the scene, and plenty of suspense.
Meaghan
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
one of my top favorites.

• Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Learning Biblical Hebrew: Reading for Comprehension: an Introductory Grammar
  • The Divine Dance: The Trinity and Your Transformation
  • Fallen Angels
  • Come from Away
  • The Thief Lord
  • Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #2)
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Loving Our Dogs: Heartwarming and Humorous Stories about our Companions and Best Friends
  • The Water and the Wild
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • The Doorway and the Deep