Start by marking “The Unwilling (The Children of Lilith, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Unwilling (The Children of Lilith, Volume 1)

The Unwilling

(The Children of Lilith #1)

In all the 6,000 years that the Children of Lilith have walked among us, there has never been an UNWILLING vampire... until now.

Carl Morgan has lost everything. His wife and children were killed in a senseless accident. Then he witnessed the murder of his sister at the hands of a beautiful and mysterious woman named Rebecca. When the police cannot locate the killer, Carl t
Published August 19th 2011 by Parables

To ask other readers questions about The Unwilling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unwilling

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
1,612 books — 7,464 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon MullTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Mormon Fantasy
183 books — 334 voters

More lists with this book...

Kayla
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mormons who like vampires
First of all, let me say that I actually have the Kindle edition, not the paperback, and I would give this book 3.5 stars if the rating system allowed.

The book begins with a depressed Carl Morgan getting a phone call from his delinquent sister Juliet claiming that someone is going to kill her. Carl goes to pick her up from a bar and witnesses her murder at the hands of a mysterious, compelling woman named Rebecca. Carl of course can't let his sister's killer go unpunished and infiltrates her cul
Deborah
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing a copy I received from the publisher. Good story, I liked the ending and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I would have liked to give it 3 1/2 stars because I'm a little ambivalent about it. I liked it, but I'm not crazy about it.

The police are unable to bring the murderer of Carl's sister to justice so Carl infiltrates the vampire cult himself seeking justice. He doesn't believe in vampires and believes it is all part of a Goth fantasy, until he finds himself changed. Bu
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The twisted world of the vampire cult Carl (the main character) infiltrates to find his sister’s killer is openly dark and honestly horrifying. The story follows strong themes of agency, power, temptation, love, and redemption. It made for deep thinking about evils that plague our real world and how one goes about restoring hope, security, and goodness where it is seemingly bereft in the lives of truly tortured and potentially dangerous individuals.

Carl’s LDS background and con
Mr. Hanky
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST READ kind of book. Though at first glance this appears to be yet another entry in the "sparkling vampires are the good guys" kind of book, this is NOTHING of the sort.

In this story vampires are shown as wholly depraved creatures that can show themselves to others as beings of light to deceive and corrupt. This conception of vampires was brilliantly wrought with fidelity with Mormon theology. Don't get me wrong, however, you don't have to be Mormon to appreciate this story.

What I
Treg Julander
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not an ordinary vampire story, and these are not your ordinary vampires based on the same tired tropes. Sure they drink blood, can’t take the sunlight, and have superhuman abilities, but that’s where the similarities end. The main characters are “moral” vampires who resist their curse and quench their thirst for blood by siphoning from criminals as midnight vigilantes (mistaken for angels). I was a little dubious at first about the Mormon vampire angle. But the tension from the main char ...more
Olya
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First of all, a refreshing view on vampires!
They're evil, like in the good ol' times(not as creepy in a classic way, like Dracula, but still evil). And they chose to be that way. Most of them, anyway. Not to give too much away, - choices and agency are critical elements in any situation and it doesn't matter where you are in life, whether you're a bad guy or a good guy. What you choose to do about it is what you will be in the end, and this book shows that perfectly.
Everybody knows that being tr
Felicia
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a book that was really to get into. I liked the last half better than the first half, I think everything in the first half just moved to quickly. I wish there would have been more information and description on how changing to a vampire changed the person's appearance if any. I thought it was really fun to read a Mormon vampire book though. I will for sure look into reading the rest of this series.
Alycia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! It was an impulse buy when I ran into the author in the mall around 1 AM on Black Friday, and that was a decision I will never forget or regret!
My favorite thing about this book is how true to character it stays. Vampire and LDS are not two cultures I ever expected to be combined in a story, but the actions and reactions play out so beautifully, it feels like how things would ACTUALLY happen if the circumstances were to arise.
Jake
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It has the traditional vampire with a little different spin on it that makes sense and it goes into more detail about what a vampire is and how they really become a vampire. It has great detail.
It's a great story of self-mastery, agency and living with the choices that are made, and true, unconditional love. What an incredible battle of good vs. evil!
Candice
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance
By the end of the book, I decided it was a decent read, but boy, it was a rough start. I almost put the book down for good on page 10, and again every 10-15 page until around page 90. Why? First of all, the writing itself was . . . not good. I can't put my finger on precisely why, but it had a rough, amateur feel that kept me from getting into the story instead of skimming the surface. Fortunately, the writing got better farther down the road. While I hesitate to call it good, it at least was no ...more
Kylea Carter
Jul 20, 2014
Ona Wheeler
Jun 05, 2015
C. Belt
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Connor Petersen
Apr 13, 2018
April
Apr 08, 2014
Jacquie Hayes
rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2014
Ilos
Jul 05, 2014
Kenneth Yano Gil
Jan 05, 2013
C. David Belt was born in the wilds of Evanston, WY. As a child, he lived and traveled extensively around the Far East. In Thailand, he once fed so many bananas to a monkey, the poor monkey swore off bananas for life. He served as an Latter-day Saint missionary in South Korea and southern California (Korean-speaking), and yes, he loves kimchi. He graduated from Brigham Young University with a BS i ...more

The Children of Lilith (3 books)
  • The Penitent (The Children of Lilith, Volume 2)
  • The Prophecy (The Children of Lilith, Volume 3)