Start by marking “The Winter Players” as Want to Read:
The Winter Players

The Winter Players

She distrusted him at first, not least because she knew his words were lies. "Call me Grey," he said, but that was not his name. Fear gripped her like a hand.

No one but the priestess could look upon the relics: the Ring, the Jewel and the Bone. It was for the bone that this grey stranger had come. He was like a thief, but she realized with a sinking heart that he was armed
Published 1976 by Macmillan UK

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Players, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Players

Dannii Elle
It astounds me that at just over 100 pages, Lee manages to erect an entire world, create an action-packed quest and construct such emotive and real characters. Her evocative and poignant writing meant that this book was a wonder to behold: each word was perfectly formulated for maximum impact and a sea of brooding and atmospheric settings were consistently created. Whilst reading this I managed to tune out the birds tweeting in the trees and could instead feel the icy wind biting my exposed fles ...more
Fergal
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this Tanith Lee ... Legend.
Netanella
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Why have I not read this before? I keep forgetting how good Tanith Lee is until I go back and read a new story of hers. "The Winter Players" is a short novel of a priestess' quest to recover a relic stolen from her by stranger. Her pursuit of the lost relic leads her on a quest where she discovers the true nature of her magic and the relics upon which the shrine she keeps is built. A lovely story, and one I would reread.
Claire Eve
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautifully written book by Tanith Lee, one that I have read and reread several times in the years since it was first published. It is an evocative and satisfying tale that can take you into an alternative world for an evening. Very much recommended.
Limecello
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Nighteye
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
like this one jut don't remember when I read it a couple of years ago. Okey story.
Deedee
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first fiction published by the late, great Tanith Lee. It’s at an awkward length, at 104 pages, too long to be included in an anthology, too short to be part of a reprint series. That’s a shame, because it is a story that is just the right length to tell the tale the author wishes to tell. It’s a high fantasy tale, starring a young, moral, determined priestess and ….. hmmm, spoiler-free version ….. those protagonists that wish bad things for our heroine priestess and those she ...more
Soobie's scared
I've read this book some 15-18 years ago in Italian. I re-read it now.

It feels like I read something completely different. My fuzzy memories about the book were "Oh nice!" and "Too bad the can't be together!". But probably they were related to a different book altogether. Jeez, I'm getting old.

It would have been nice to compare the translation to the original though. Most of the books that belong to that particular series were adapted for a younger audience when they were published in Italy betw
Leila Anani
Grey, a young thief, steals a finger bone - one of three holy relics from a sea-temple. The teenage priestess gives chase and has to contend with the evil sorcerer who has enslaved Grey.

Tanith Lee is truly incomparable - in just 100 pages she creates an entire fantasy world with engaging characters and a plot where you truly have no clue what's going to happen. I love the mythic feel to this - it's like a fairytale... yet not based on any story you actually know. The characters almost feel like
Seikaiha
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The Winter Players" is one of my earliest Tanith Lee books, and definitely my favorite. Oaive is my first priestess in Western fantasy. It has an earlier motif of Narasen and Issak story in "Death's Master" in some sense.

It's coming as a Kindle book on July 31. 6 more Tanith Lee kindle books are coming on the same day, and 3 came out on June 30, including my anothor favorite, "The Castle of Dark". The best time to start reading or re-reading Tanith Lee.
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een kinderboek van Tanith Lee, meestal schrijft ze zeer volwassen fantasy romans, maar ze heeft ook een flink aantal kinderboeken (12+) geschreven. Dit vind ik een van de besten.
Complex verhaal met magie, strijd, tijdreizen en de rol van vervloekingen en het lot. Aanrader voor iedereen die zijn/ haar kinderen wil zien opgroeien tot fantasy-minnende volwassenen.

Lees ook
Alien
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars. It has a simple story line. It works with one of the oldest Fantasy tropes: the adolescent, who finds out that she has huge powers. And then he uses these powers to fight a mighty foe (and.... you guess it).
The characters are also rather flat.
But it was a quick and pleasent read anyway.
Quinn
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
More like 2.5 stars

Kinda sweet, but didn't get emotionally attached to any characters.

Slightly irritated that everything had to be spelt out, even when it was quite evident what was going on. (Am I being too harsh?)
Ale
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read and re-read this book when I was around 11-14 (in Italian).
I loved the story the characters, everything: it was one of my fantasy-genre-starter and since it's a childhood reading, I can't say if my 5 stars are blind-children-love-5-stars or 5-stars-for-real.
Adinda
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
De inhoud van dit boek is gelukkig even mooi als het omslag afschrikwekkend is. Fraai geschreven, goed in elkaar gepaste scènes, interessante hoofdpersonen en vol sfeer: Tanith Lee op haar best, wat mij betreft.
Jenny
A re-read of a favourite Tanith Lee novel. Small and perfectly formed sums it up beautifully.
Allan
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is my favorite Tanith Lee's tale.
So beautiful, and a sweet pain.
Fabienne
Jun 01, 2016
Adrien Rocky
Apr 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai