Start by marking “Political Liberalism” as Want to Read:
Political Liberalism

Political Liberalism

(Biblioteca do Século)

This book continues and revises the ideas of justice as fairness that John Rawls presented in A Theory of Justice but changes its philosophical interpretation in a fundamental way. That previous work assumed what Rawls calls a "well-ordered society," one that is stable and relatively homogenous in its basic moral beliefs and in which there is broad agreement about what con ...more
ebook, Expanded Edition, 576 pages
Published March 24th 2005 by Columbia University Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Political Liberalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Political Liberalism

Ali
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
مساله مورد بررسی رالز در لیبرالیسم سیاسی دو پرسش بنیادین زیر است:
نخستین پرسش: برای تعیین شروط منصفانه همکاری اجتماعی میان شهروندانی که آزاد و برابر تلقی می شوند درخورترین برداشت از عدالت چیست؟ دومین پرسش: با توجه به واقعیت تکثرگرایی معقول چونان نتیجه گریزناپذیر توان های عقل انسان، که در درون نهادهای آزاد دیرپا عمل می کنند، دلایل رواداری به معنای عام کدامند؟ با در هم آمیختن این دو پرسش به این یک پرسش می رسیم: چگونه ممکن است که یک جامعه عادلانه و پایدار متشکل از شهروندان آزاد و برابری که بر پایه
Soha Bayoumi
This book attempts to answer the question of how can a stable and just society of free and equal citizens live in a concord when deeply divided by reasonable but incompatible doctrines? Rawls's answer to the question puts forward his Political Liberalism, with the central idea of public reason. A must-read in my opinion.
Thom Willis
"Rawls hated our God. Catholics ought to know that before they read him." - Andrew M. Greenwell, Esq.

The great awfulness of this tome is that not only is it eminently boring (a "smokescreen of technicalities," Ralph Hancock calls it), but its thesis is swiftly refuted by Christopher Eberle in his book Religious Conviction in Liberal Politics. Don't waste your time trudging through Rawls. Instead read the pertinent chapter(s) of Eberle's book.

Rawls' concern is noble enough: lay a groundwork for a
Sarah Myers
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, philosophy
Political Liberalism was my first foray into the work of John Rawls, the American philosopher at the back of much of contemporary liberalism, and it may have been better to read his other work, A Theory of Justice, first, since much of what he wrote in this book appears to be a development upon that other book and a response to the criticisms that were leveled against it. This made some parts of PL confusing, and I hope that I do not badly misrepresent Rawls in this review.

At the very beginning
Jacob Williams
What this book offers: intriguing thoughts on living in a society characterized by deep disagreements
What not to expect: enjoyment; actionable takeaways

The only way you could have made this more boring would have been to interleave it with a phone book. And at least then there might've been a few funny ads to liven things up.

Rawls’ style is to break down his worldview into a highly hierarchical outline and translate that unceremoniously into paragraph form. So you’re constantly reading about stu
Valentina Salvatierra
This book gives a compelling account of how it is possible, in today's pluralistic societies, to create an overlapping consensus on fundamental political issues. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a solid ideological foundation for a politically liberal worldview.
Michael
What can I say? I was bored to tears, remembering most of the material from my college lectures. Also, it reminds me of how easy it is in academia to be disconnected from reality. Lots of idealism, but the world functions far too pragmatically and messily.
Jason Burke Murphy
Everyone should wrestle with this book as it is one of the best efforts to lay a foundation for a fair politics. This book provides a vocabulary that makes political discussion more fruitful.
Dave Peticolas
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Rawl's account of the possibility of a stable and just society in the presence of 'reasonable pluralism' -- the existence of mutually incompatible but reasonable compresensive doctrines.

Nathan
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Pre-ramble* [This is how I view Rawls at this time. Like many other texts (e.g. my review of Difference and Repetition by Deleuze) my stance is not static. It changes and evolves with time, study, and experience.]

[Review] I took an entire seminar course on Political Liberalism, where we read this one text. I was deeply ambivalent about Rawls for a number of reason. On the one hand, I agreed on a theoretical level with his conclusions. It's a work of political philosophy formulated through forma
Micah
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent work in which John Rawls defends both the principles of justice—which include basic rights and liberties for all and equal opportunity to succeed—and the principles of public reason—which include being reasonable and refusing to impose ideology on politics.

Unfortunately, I can't give the book five stars, because these are not the virtues practiced by so-called "liberals" , as Rawls claims, but only by CONSERVATIVES.

1) liberals HATE basic rights like religious freedom; only c
Sarah Staudt
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Veil of Ignorance remains one of the most powerful metaphors I have encountered in modern philosophy.
James Spencer
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago, I first came across John Rawls A Theory of Justice in law school and as an ex-engineer was astounded by the thinking behind it and it's conceptions. Still, it wasn't until reading Political Liberalism that I think I understood the significance as well as the limitations of Justice As Fairness. In Political Liberalism, Rawls makes clear that he does not see the Theory as a comprehensive philosophical conception of the good but rather a theory of how a modern liberal democratic soc ...more
Cosmo
I have grown to like Political Liberalism more than A Theory of Justice. Nonetheless, I find Rawls frustrating; it feels like he reveals and rationalizes all the hidden assumptions and beliefs that I have taken for granted. Confronted with those beliefs--even when rationalized as systematically and thoroughly as Rawls does--something seems not quite right.
Leonardo
Dec 22, 2015 marked it as to-keep-reference  ·  review of another edition
El orden liberal del Imperio busca el tipo de “consenso superpuesto” propuesto por John Rawls, en el cual se les pide a todos deponer sus “doctrinas comprensivas” en interés de la tolerancia.

Imperio Pág.149

En este libro se discute el "hecho del pluralismo".
J.
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't agree with it (taken as a whole), but I think Rawls' categories are incredibly interesting and useful. For Christians, the book seems to offer an intriguing secularization of Augustine's two cities theory.
Daniel
Published 20 years later, this is a follow up to A Theory of Justice, where Rawls addresses the question "How can we possibly generate any principles of justice on which members of a diverse society (religiously, politically, socio-economically) would agree?
Francisco mejia
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still the best

This expanded version of Political Liberalism is fantastic. Particularly the closing essay rounds Rawls ideas extremely well and paves the way for better understanding the contested world in which we live in today.
Charles
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Far better and more important than Theory of Justice, I think.
Saeid
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book that indicate his Political Turn, also required reading for every one with an interest in Rawls's political philosophy and his amendments after A Theory of Justice...
Chris
Jun 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great
Ft. Sheridan
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poo-blic Reason!
Don
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like his theory of justice but even worse. A pallid defense of the lack of need for international redistribution (which, of course, his theory of justice implies).
Richard Cai
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good model for "Realistic Utopian" society, somewhat undermines my Libertarian tradition, but still difficult to practice because few people have public reason
Joe
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to read this again AFTER reading A Theory of Justice.
Kamaryn Brown
Jul 11, 2018
Marie Pascale Geist
Jun 24, 2009

• Spheres of Justice: A Defense of Pluralism and Equality
  • Between Facts & Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law & Democracy (Studies in Contemporary German Social Thought)
  • Frontiers of Justice: Disability, Nationality, Species Membership
  • Parting Ways: Jewishness and the Critique of Zionism
  • Justice, Gender, and the Family
  • Contemporary Political Philosophy
  • Responsibility and Judgment
John Bordley Rawls was an American philosopher and a leading figure in moral and political philosophy. He held the James Bryant Conant University Professorship at Harvard. His magnum opus A Theory of Justice (1971) is now regarded as "one of the primary texts in political philosophy." His work in political philosophy, dubbed Rawlsianism, takes as its starting point the argument that "most reasonab ...more
“We strive for the best we can attain within the scope the world allows.” 6 likes
“Normally leaving one's country is a grave step: it involves leaving the society and culture in which we have been raised,, the society and culture whose language we use in speech and thought to express and understand ourselves, our aims, goals and values; the society and culture, customs, and conventions we depend on to find our place in the social world. In large part, we affirm our society and culture, and have an intimate and inexpressible knowledge of it, even though much of it we may question, if not reject. The government’s authority cannot, then be freely accepted in the sense that the bonds of society and culture, of history and social place of origin, begin so early to shape our life and are normally so strong that the right of emigration does not suffice to make accepting its authority free, politically speaking, in the way that liberty of conscience suffices to make accepting ecclesiastical authority free.” 1 likes