Start by marking “Dolphin Baby!” as Want to Read:
Dolphin Baby!

Dolphin Baby!

(Nature Storybooks)

Swim with a baby dolphin as he learns to survive - and play - in an engaging story splashed with facts and buoyed by bright illustrations.

Pop! Tail first, head last, Dolphin is born into the blue. He's brand new, but helped by his mother, he swims up, up, up to take his first breath. Readers are invited to join the baby calf as he follows his mom and discovers all there is
Published April 10th 2012 by Candlewick (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dolphin Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolphin Baby!

Start your review of Dolphin Baby!
Dolly
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating book that depicts the first months of a baby dolphins life, beginning from birth. The illustrations are wonderful and the information is detailed without being boring. Additional details are provided that provide more facts, and can be read aloud or skipped, depending on the attention span of the child. We enjoyed reading this story together and our girls love dolphins. We really liked the pictures!
Vera Godley
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 3-8, school, home, & public libraries
This is the second book I've reviewed written by Nicola Davies. See http://chatwithvera.blogspot.com/2012... As with "Just Ducks" Ms. Davies has included snippets of factual information tucked onto the pages of Brita Granstrom's beautiful and artful illustrations. Such as.....

Dolphins are mammals like you and me, so although they live all their lives in the sea, they must come to the surface to breathe air.

Children ages 3 to 8 will enjoy this beautifully told and illustrated story of the birth
Kate Hastings
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grades Pre-K to 3. This book does a wonderful job explaining the growth and development of a baby dolphin. Told from the perspective of one calf-- we follow his birth until he catches his first fish. Smaller captions include additional information. While I enjoyed the story very much, and the illustrations were lovely, I would have preferred real photographs of dolphins to make it a stronger informational offering. For this reason, I think it would appeal more if categorized in the picture books ...more
Danielle
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Every dolphin has its own whistle/call sound, like it's own spoken name!

This book is full of lovely stuff like that. As opposed to Davies's Just Ducks, here I enjoyed the story more than the snippets of facts. I also thought the facts were a bit unnecessary as she does a great job of weaving information into the narrative of the baby dolphin.

Overall, a good book about these special animals.
Danielle Mootz
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Loved the illustrations in this book and the additional educational notes!
Norma Vantrease
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dolphin is born into a world full of the love and security of his Mom. She is his protector: teaching him how to breathe, where to swim, how to talk, and how to fish. She is his nurturer: feeding him thorough her nipples and stroking him with her flippers.

The reader swims along with Dolphin as he grows. We delight when he learns to play with friends and to practice clicking. And we celebrate the day when he is old enough to catch a fish and to whistle his own special name.

Young readers will
Gianna Campana
This is a cute book for children, but it also has very interesting facts about life under water. A baby dolphin is born and follows its mom around learning about life whether its about how to catch fish, or other animals in its surroundings. Children will be learning but have fun doing it at the same time.
KyLee Johnson
I enjoyed this book. The illustrations and everything were great. This book tells a story about a mommy and baby dolphin and also throws in some facts about dolphins. This is a great book to use for a science content in school. It's fun and educational.
Courtney
2012. Concept 11. Fun read aloud during a sea unit. About a dolphin being born and growing up and what some dolphins might experience while growing to adult hood. Shows his development during different stages in his life.
Shari
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another excellent example of Nicola Davies' narrative nonfiction! Readers follow a dolphin calf from birth until six months old. Engaging and lovely illustrations.
Michelle
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very educational, non-fiction. I DON'T recommend this book for very young children. I would say 7+
Jenna Mills
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely book about dolphins. Lots to learn
Carrie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, animals, nature, ocean
Nice art and research, although the facts sometimes get in the way of the "storyline" a little bit. Perhaps if they were designated differently, that might help (boxes are often used for this).
Chynna Cowan
This book will maybe remind some students of their own mother or adult figure in their life that takes care of them. This book is all about love and care and how we need that special person in our life to help us get through big things and small things.
Nicole
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the illustrations but some of the words we hard to read on some pages because of color and size. I liked the combination of story and scientific facts.
Jim Erekson
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Just to start I have to say how annoyed I am at the informational book titles with the exclamation mark. I can imagine the editors' meeting: "Hmmm. Dolphin baby just doesn't sound interesting enough--how about 'Dolphin Baby!'" It's like they're apologizing for presenting an uninteresting topic.

The differentiated text in this book matches a third-person 'looking in on' narrative with factual vignettes at the edges of each double. Granström's style gives the fuzzy feel of looking at things
Lillian Martin
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love dolphins so it was fun learning about them.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, animals
I'm a school librarian but I really didn't know much about Nicola Davies until the literacy coordinator at my school started raving about what a great writer she is. With all that, I still never took the time to read one of her books until Dolphin Baby appeared at my door as one of the Cybils nominees.

Wow. What a great story. How did the author do it? Page one and suddenly I was a baby dolphin, swimming along with my mother.

Davies tells the story just right, mixing cool facts ("Every dolphin
Barbara
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Using evocative language throughout the text, this book follows the life of a baby dolphin (a calf) from birth to its first fish catch. In between, it celebrates its everyday moments, learning how to take a breath, getting nourishment from its mother, and making babytalk whistles. The larger font tells the dolphin family's story while the smaller font at the edge of the book's pages provides simple but interesting dolphin facts. Back matter includes a reminder that dolphins need protection from ...more
Shawna
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
During class we had time to look through different types of informational texts. The purpose for this was to look at different guidelines for informational texts, and I stumbled upon this book. One would think that this is not an informational text by looking at the front cover, and to be honest not even by scanning through the pages. While reading this book, I read through many of the different facts that Nicola Davies entails. One very important guideline that Nicola did not include was a ...more
Pam  Page
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nicola Davies writes wonderful books and this one has shorter text yet still delivers interesting information about dolphins. The illustrations are soft and and "floaty" feeling with some different types of fonts for effect. For such a short book I learned a good amount of information about dolphins - did you know that male calves (baby dolphins) make best friends with one or two other males that they will know their whole lives? Two pages at the end share how we need to take better care of ...more
Amy Walters
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
I was apprehensive about this book when I first checked it out of the library, I was not sure if I was really going to like it, but to my surprise, I did like it. The book is about a baby dolphin and his mother, and how he is adjusting to the big open sea. What I really enjoyed about this book is that throughout the whole book the author gives facts about dolphins; this enables the teacher to stop throughout the book to open up a discussion about dolphins. I was pleasantly surprised by this ...more
Kayla
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
** Dolphin Baby! is a book about a baby dolphin being born and having to learn how to do things on its own. This book would also be good to use for a Science class because even though it is a story book it has little facts about dolphins at the bottom of the page.

i absolutely love this book because i have been in love with dolphins since i was little! so i love that it talks about how a baby dolphin is born and what a baby dolphin does. i also like that at the bottom of each page it gives you a
Andrea
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nsta
This beautifully illustrated (the artwork almost shows the point-of-view of the story, since it is being told underwater) would be a great read for any student but especially for those with new siblings or ones expecting new siblings. I feel it is always a little easier to explain this mature concept to students through examples of other species, such as the dolphins. Then either having or showing them comparisons of their babies to our babies.
Christina
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is more like a poetry book, and describes the dolphin as a young calf. It goes through these experiences that it has as a young one. At the bottom though, it explains it more in a lamen term for children to understand what it is about. I think it would be a cute book to read before giving a report on baby dolphins. It would also make a great resource for the child to get information as well. Overall this would be an effective book, but it would be in limited ways.
Mary Ann
Deftly weaving a story of a newborn dolphin with clear information about this amazing animal, Davies draws young readers in while providing scientific details about dolphin development and characteristics. Children will be fascinated by the way dolphins learn to communicate, find food and make friends.

While perhaps the illustrations and text both anthropomorphize the baby dolphin a bit, I think this is excellent nonfiction to draw in 2nd and 3rd graders.
Emily Murphy
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Me and my mom read this. Dolphins are beautiful animals and so cute and funny. Most importantly they are smart. The facts are great and cute for children to learn and know. A great book for working on readers memories of content because the simplicity of the content. Very elegant paintings. I think the message is clear and important, to save the oceans for all the animals that live there.
Brienz Wilkening
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 689
This book is fun to read but also full of great knowledge. On every page the story continues and then in smaller writing somewhere on the page there is more in-depth information about what was just talked about. The illustrations are also incredible. Every page is a double page spread with no white space. The illustrations are done with paint.
Katie Fleming
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
"Dolphin Baby!" by Nicola Davies is an informative story about a baby dolphin and the life of a dolphin. The facts that are included in this book are really interesting. There was a lot of information about dolphins that I learned from this book. I thought the illustrations were great. Overall, I think this book is a great source for learning about dolphins.
Karen
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of the nominees for the category I am judging, nonfiction picture books. A delightful book by Nicola Davies that taught me some things I didn't already know about dolphins and their babies. There is one story line about the baby starting with birth, and in addition, there are facts about dolphins placed on appropriate pages. Kids will really enjoy this.

• The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
  • Katie Morag and the New Pier
  • My Mom Has X-Ray Vision
  • Horton Hears a Who!
  • Katie Morag And The Grand Concert
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of ...more

Nature Storybooks (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • White Owl, Barn Owl