Start by marking “Dolphin Baby!” as Want to Read:
Dolphin Baby!

Dolphin Baby!

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Swim with a baby dolphin as he learns to survive - and play - in an engaging story splashed with facts and buoyed by bright illustrations.

Pop! Tail first, head last, Dolphin is born into the blue. He's brand new, but helped by his mother, he swims up, up, up to take his first breath. Readers are invited to join the baby calf as he follows his mom and discovers all there is
Published April 10th 2012 by Candlewick (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dolphin Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolphin Baby!

Dolly
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fascinating book that depicts the first months of a baby dolphins life, beginning from birth. The illustrations are wonderful and the information is detailed without being boring. Additional details are provided that provide more facts, and can be read aloud or skipped, depending on the attention span of the child. We enjoyed reading this story together and our girls love dolphins. We really liked the pictures!
Vera Godley
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 3-8, school, home, & public libraries
This is the second book I've reviewed written by Nicola Davies. See http://chatwithvera.blogspot.com/2012... As with "Just Ducks" Ms. Davies has included snippets of factual information tucked onto the pages of Brita Granstrom's beautiful and artful illustrations. Such as.....

Dolphins are mammals like you and me, so although they live all their lives in the sea, they must come to the surface to breathe air.

Children ages 3 to 8 will enjoy this beautifully told and illustrated story of the birth a
Kate Hastings
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grades Pre-K to 3. This book does a wonderful job explaining the growth and development of a baby dolphin. Told from the perspective of one calf-- we follow his birth until he catches his first fish. Smaller captions include additional information. While I enjoyed the story very much, and the illustrations were lovely, I would have preferred real photographs of dolphins to make it a stronger informational offering. For this reason, I think it would appeal more if categorized in the picture books ...more
Danielle
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Every dolphin has its own whistle/call sound, like it's own spoken name!

This book is full of lovely stuff like that. As opposed to Davies's Just Ducks, here I enjoyed the story more than the snippets of facts. I also thought the facts were a bit unnecessary as she does a great job of weaving information into the narrative of the baby dolphin.

Overall, a good book about these special animals.
Danielle Mootz
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Loved the illustrations in this book and the additional educational notes!
Courtney
2012. Concept 11. Fun read aloud during a sea unit. About a dolphin being born and growing up and what some dolphins might experience while growing to adult hood. Shows his development during different stages in his life.
Carrie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, art, nature, ocean
Nice art and research, although the facts sometimes get in the way of the "storyline" a little bit. Perhaps if they were designated differently, that might help (boxes are often used for this).
Nicole
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the illustrations but some of the words we hard to read on some pages because of color and size. I liked the combination of story and scientific facts.
Jim Erekson
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Just to start I have to say how annoyed I am at the informational book titles with the exclamation mark. I can imagine the editors' meeting: "Hmmm. Dolphin baby just doesn't sound interesting enough--how about 'Dolphin Baby!'" It's like they're apologizing for presenting an uninteresting topic.

The differentiated text in this book matches a third-person 'looking in on' narrative with factual vignettes at the edges of each double. Granström's style gives the fuzzy feel of looking at things underw
Lillian Martin
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love dolphins so it was fun learning about them.
  • Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo Da Vinci
  • ABC ZooBorns!
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Out of Sight
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • Planting the Wild Garden
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more
More about Nicola Davies...