Start by marking “Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  349 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

Celebrated vegan and vegetarian cookbook author Nava Atlas serves up a comprehensive collection of scrumptious recipes, all featuring ultra-healthy, super-nutritious leafy greens.

Kale, collards, spinach, Asian greens, and many more leafy greens are a breeze to grow and prepare--and these 125 recipes showcase the most commonly used varieties in a wide selection of flavorful

Published June 5th 2012 by Sterling Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wild About Greens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild About Greens

Lisa Vegan
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who want ideas, including basic preparation techniques, for making/eating greens
There should have been a photograph of each recipe, on the recipe page(s) but unfortunately there are only 8 photos, all in a center section of the book. I did enjoy the included drawings and the colors on the pages though.

star off for the relative lack of photos and star off for so much oil, but a full star back for focusing on greens! And this is one rare case when using some oil makes sense to me; I’d just use less. Given how many servings most of the recipes make, there rarely is a lot of
Rachel
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This has been on my to-read list for awhile, but I could never get a copy of it at the library because it was always checked out. And no wonder, as it is a really well-done cookbook. I am always on the lookout for new and interesting ways to do greens as I know how good they are for you, and my hubby is currently growing spinach and kale in our home garden. The book starts out with very basic prep and then adds them to pasta, beans, grains, salads, soups and more things. Plus I figure the recipe ...more
Bundt
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
One of my favorite things to buy every week is organic kale and mustard greens, but other than my standby recipe for kale chips or using it in soups, I wasn't really sure how to show it off to its best advantage. Enter Nava Atlas's "Wild About Greens," which will give you 125 vegan recipes for kale, collards, mustard greens, and more.

The journey begins with a brief guide to preparation and an illustrated who's who of greens, from common varieties (spinach, kale, chard), to those I'd looked at bu
Bernadette
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Foodies
Recommended to Bernadette by: Can of Nava Atlas' books
More good information, and tasty, easy recipes from Nava Atlas, whose website I have followed for year, and yes, they just happen to be all vegan.
Beautiful photography by Susan Voisin, the talent behind
Nava does not disappoint in encouraging cooks to do more than just sauté or boil greens. From extolling the health benefits of leafy greens, telling us the benefits of various greens & how to choose, store & prep them, then giving us various ways to enjoy them in our bellies, she shares
Julie
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
3/3 Simon made the Cumin-Roasted Cauliflower & Kale this evening. He says it was pretty easy to make! We agree that it was quite tasty. 3/4 We made Lentil Soup with Greens & Tiny Pasta. We included the optional red wine. I loved the subtle flavorings. Simon felt it needed spicing up! 3/24 By now we have tried a good selection of the recipes & discovered the delights of arugula. Now my latest favorite green after kale! Conclusion: this cookbook is filled with great recipes that prove ...more
Steve
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a great cookbook to pull off the shelf when your drawer of greens needs to become a delicious meal. Everyone has a drawer devoted to greens right? No, buy this book and dedicate a drawer in your fridge to greens! I find it most helpful to pull up the opening pages and reference how the greens should be stored, cleaned and prepared.
Kate
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Too often I find vegan cookbooks don't focus enough on the vegetables, and "vegetable" cookbooks are rare, and usually weak. This, however, is MARVELOUS! So many ideas for new flavours and concoctions!
Marianna Monaco
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
In particular, I love all the kale recipes, and the instructions about "massaging" kale.
Kale, which is tough, becomes a great salad green, once massaged.
Dana
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-health
So far I've tried 6 recipes. they've all been good and enjoyed by the whole family. Plus they are really quick to prepare.
Amy
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent recipes that feature greens as a main course instead of just a side dish. Thanks to this book, I tried collard greens and bok choy for the first time and I loved them.
Deb
We almost all need to get more greens into our diet and so I am always looking for new recipes and ideas. Wild About Greens has 125 recipes for the more common greens like spinach, kale, collards, chard, watercress and the less used (at least for me) like tatsoi, mizuna, turnip greens, etc. There is info on the nutritional properties of the greens and it covers basic tips for cooking with them.

The recipes range from dips and dressings to salads, soups, side dishes and vegan main dishes and some
Shea
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, non-fiction
Love, love, love this cookbook! It begins with a quick introduction on prep topics such as freezing, cleaning, and dehydrating greens. Pretty basic stuff, but a quick view-over will help you out if you need some tips. It then follows with a outline of all the greens used within the recipes. This section is extra useful because it organizes all the books' recipes according to the type of green used. You can easily find recipes according to what veggies you have on hand. Very nice!

Sps
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 600s
Ok so I am giving this the benefit of the doubt, meaning three stars, because I only tried one recipe.* Perhaps someday I'll give the book a second chance and make at least one more recipe. Such as in retirement.**

And anyway that one recipe left me ambivalent. On the one hand, the flavors were good and the execution was simple. On the other hand, the liquid:rice ratio was totally off, and because I didn't trust my cook's sense and went with the measurements as written, we ended up with some real
Nancy
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
As in most of Nava Atlas' cookbooks, these recipes are straightforward and relatively uncomplicated. Besides utilizing the more common greens such as kale and arugula, Ms Atlas includes recipes for under-used greens such as tatsoi & mizuna, beet, turnip & radish greens. Many recipes suggest a number of substitutions for the showcased green, lending greater versatility to the book. If you enjoy kale salad, there are eight recipes to choose from! Also included are recipes for soups & s ...more
Adrielle
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book full of useful recipes! I had a few things sitting my fridge waiting to be used up, so I looked in the index of Wild About Greens and viola! I found recipes to make two entire meals with ingredients I already had.

I'm looking forward to trying more.

The only section I would not get much use from is the one for juices and smoothies. I generally just don't care for them.

I checked this out from the library, but will be looking buy it for myself soon.
viola
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Brilliant concept for this plant driven eater, but once again Nava slightly disappoints on delivery. This is her second book I've given a try to (the other was The 5 Ingredient Vegetarian Gourmet) and for both I find the recipes not adequately detailed and/or poorly constructed. It always comes together, but results tend to be "fine" rather than memorable or even legitimately GOOD.
Theresa Rothschadl
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I love the theme of this cookbook, and the health factor is wonderful. But all the recipes are just...so...bland! I end up doubling the spices or adding hot sauce--or even cheese--to amp up the taste. A big part of me feels that Nava Atlas is giving veganism a bad name...and I'm not even a vegan.
Maya
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback
Found this just in time as I was getting bored with the few successful recipes for greens in my repertoire. I appreciate the front section that give details and history for each green. Odd thing about the book is it looks like a Mollie Katzen (Moosewood) cookbook because of font and layout, but it is not.
LemontreeLime
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Sometimes you find a cookbook that takes all the confusion out of a food group for you. This one totally nails the concept of how to cook that most intimidating healthy food, the leafy green. As a swiss chard fan, I wanted more how-to, and Nava Atlas totally delivered.
Kim
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Some really great vegan recipes that have become part of the regular dinner rotation. This book would not be good for a beginning cook since some recipes have omissions in the cooking instructions like heat level and cooking times.
Lara
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not exactly sure what I was expecting from this one, but the recipes just weren't anything all that new or intriguing. There's some good info on different types of greens and how to cook them in different ways, but the recipes themselves...eh. Nice presentation though!
Elise
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Almost every recipe used garlic and/or onions. Makes me wonder what that says about the greens they are trying to eat. I like to have foods to eat that taste good, not have to be masked by stronger flavors...
Don
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few cookbooks I own where I want to make everything. The recipes are simple to make with ingredients that are commonly found.
Amy M.
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Almost everything sounds so yummy.
The only reason I haven't rated this higher is because I haven't had a chance to make anything from it yet. I'll edit my review as we start cooking!
Caroline
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Leafy greens are currently my thing, and I'm planning on cooking out of this, and only this cookbook for the next several weeks...
Kit
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Wonderful! Worth buying. Love the recipes for bok choy; great recipes for greens in soups, dips and dressings. I plan on trying the Quino with kale, sweet potatoes & pecans first!
Carrie
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. It has delicious, satisfying, and nutritious recipes and is beautifully illustrated. Her favorite green smoothie recipe is the go-to smoothie in this house.
Morgan
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Six months ago, I had never "cooked" a leafy green vegetable before. I need more books like this to remind me how easy and tasty it can be.
Kate Merriman
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vim
Gorgeous book, lots of clear information, and most importantly, delicious recipes...
Doan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good stuff
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Vegan Cooking & C...: Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas 89 77 Jun 10, 2014 03:53AM
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • The Chinese Vegan Kitchen: More Than 225 Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from the Culinary Regions o f China
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Big Vegan

Nava Atlas is the author and illustrator of many well-known vegetarian and vegan cookbooks, including Wild About Greens, Vegan Holiday Kitchen, and many others. Her first book was Vegetariana, now considered a classic in its field. In addition, she has published two books of humor,Expect the Unexpected When You’re Expecting! (A parody), and Secret Recipes for the Modern Wife. Her latest nonfiction

More about Nava Atlas...

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99