Start by marking “Asgard Stories: Tales from Norse Mythology” as Want to Read:
Asgard Stories: Tales from Norse Mythology

Asgard Stories: Tales from Norse Mythology

This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it. This work was reproduced from the original artifact, and remains as true to the original work as possible. Therefore, you will see the original copyright references, library stamps (as most of these works have been housed in our most impor ...more
Published March 1st 2001 (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Asgard Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asgard Stories

Start your review of Asgard Stories: Tales from Norse Mythology
Nick Clark
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Authors are suffering from the delusion there is only one God

When the first paragraph says that the Gods in these stories don't exist, you know the book is going to have problems. I downloaded this to read to my daughter at night to teach her about our Gods. As a Heathen and believer in the old Gods, I find it degrading to discount the entire basis for many religions (Asatrú, Odinism, Lokism, etc.)

I overlooked the beginning and read a bit farther just to give this book a fair shake. Not only do
César Bustíos
"But still, we know now that this new world is fairer than the old, and here, also, the loving Allfather watches over his children."

I grabbed a free copy of this book from Project Gutenberg.

Ah, the norse gods, dwellers of the sacred city of Asgard, protectors of men. But also the world of the mighty giants, always bringing trouble upon men; dwarves, elves and mermaids. Hell, one may think this must have been one of Tolkien's sources of inspiration.

These are the tales contained in this book:

1. TH
C.J. Moore
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This edition is simply not put together well and suffers from a lack of structure (note, though, that it was free). Get your Norse mythology in print. :)
B.A. Wilson
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mythology
These stories are okay, and it helped me gain a somewhat better understanding of the Gods of Norse religions, though I question if personal biases were in play here that make this a less than valid source. However, I didn’t read this for specifics, so much as just to get a baseline for some of the Norse mythology before doing further and more in-depth research into the matter. For that purpose, this was somewhat useful.

The presentation isn’t as engaging as it could be, as although the informati
Hayden
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adequate for what it is: a Victorian-era retelling of a small number of Norse tales, clean and suitable for children. While as an adult I would have perhaps liked something more sophisticated, this would be a good version to read aloud to older children. As a Christian, the little beginning introduction explaining the context (that these were the stories the Norsemen told to explain the world because they did not know about the one true God) was appreciated rather than disdained, though I've rea ...more
Sarah Spelbring
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
First off, the author specifically states that this ebook was formatted to introduce young children to Norse Mythology. It was developed by teachers for teachers and others wanting to teach their kids about mythology from our northern ancestors.

As such, it is very much a beginner's guide to Norse Mythology. It gives all the more famous stories, most notoriously the ones leading up to Ragnarok and the one with Thor in a dress. Having said that, a lot of the details are missing - there are a lot
Katie
I know I have to take into account the time period in which this was likely written, but it somehow rubs me the wrong way that the author feels the need to basically apologize for the beliefs of the people she's written about, pretty much saying "they didn't know any better, because they hadn't any knowledge of Christianity." It makes me question the translation/editing of the stories - how much of it was changed to reflect the author's Christian viewpoint/beliefs, to align itself with the story ...more
Reviews of  A Shameless Fangirl
So big thank you to my best friend for buying this for me for my birthday. Loki inspired obsession really, plus she knows how into mythology I am. I loved this collection of stories. Brilliant.

Ciara Elizabeth
Angelia Katsianos
basic writing, but good tales idk
Jay Teper
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
A few basic Norse stories

I would think it's a good introduction to the Norse gods for young children. Very basic, simply we short stories.
Zackary Davis
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
A poor rendition of the Norse myths.
Erin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
This was far more readable than the straight translation of the Prose Edda, even if they did censor out some of the more graphic and/or gory details (Loki getting pregnant by a stallion, anyone? Or on a less silly note, how about what Odin went through to gain knowledge of the runes, which could have been quite a compelling story?) and even if the storytelling was a tad too black and white for my tastes - while the Æsir were far more sympathetic than the Olympians, they most certainly were not f ...more
Sue Bavey
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a book written In Victorian times for children and teachers, aimed at introducing the Norse myths to children. It covers 14 of the more well-known myths in a very simplistic and matter-of-fact manner, with no passion or imagination to be found anywhere. The lack of descriptive detail is a shame and I would only recommend this book to teachers or children who need a quick introduction to Norse Myths for a school project, since it is a fairly quick read (around two hours with interruptions ...more
Rachel N
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
*2.5/3 stars!! Listened on audio 🎧

These collections of stories are ok, they would be fine for a young childs bedtime story but not much else. By the end I didn't really like thor or odin most of the time.
April Newman
Gave context on the mythology for those new to the subject. The storyteller was engaging enough to hear read aloud.
❦ Anna Francesca
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5⭐️s.
Really enjoyed this audiobook and thought it was a very good introduction to Norse Mythology as it is a collection of stories including Thor, Loki and many others.
Nick Broce
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Great stories still, but I much prefer the slightly different and more complete versions offered in Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.
Annm
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Glad to have reinforced my memory of these stories, as I read Neil Gaiman’s version last year. Both have something to offer.
Kumar Kutliev
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is as well written and explored as the Neil Gaiman book about Norse mythology, in my opinion.
Karen
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book provides the basic, although not the best, information about the Norse gods. It makes a good introduction to further reading.
Chen
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, Norse mythology is officially the gayest.
First, they have a rainbow bridge, I mean come on.
And then, even though this is such a short collection of a few specific tales, both Thor and Loki managed to dress as women in two different stories.
Thus leads me to my conclusion.

Now seriously, it was a lot of fun. It's kinda like reading the Hobbit.
I mean, dragons, dwarfs (that they sometimes refer to as Elfs, giants, huge serpent that surrounds the world. You see my point?

Again, this is a super sh
Tim Bar Sr
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stories for All Ages

The style of writing in this book was truly enjoyable: easy to understand and therefore quick to conjure up images of heroes and villains, battles and love, loathing and elation. The whole time I was reading it I felt as though a wise, old sage were telling the tales to a group of children, of which I could have been one, around a blazing fire in a faraway village.

If you're an adult with a fascination for this topic then the liberties taken with political "incorrectness" shou
Reggie Herbert
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Although still not my favorite anthology of Norse stories, this is a fantastic introduction to the characters and stories for children. They often leave out the more violent or sexual themes of the narratives, such as Odin hanging himself from Yggdrasil to gain prescience, but the loss of his eye is included. I'd give this to a child and I enjoyed it, but for those looking for full knowledge on the subject, continue your search. ...more
William
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth
A delightful volume that presents several stories from Norse Myth in easily digestible form. As a Christian, I particularly am pleased with the explanation given at the beginning that, lacking the truth of Christ, the creators of these stories sought to explain the world around them as best they could. Because of this introduction, I would have no problem letting my children read this book.
Jenny
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Every time I read books about legends originally told orally I think they would be so much better enjoyed around a bonfire being recited by a methods actor. I enjoyed some of the background stories on the Norse gods and goddesses. I read the Thor and Journey into Mystery comics, so it was nice to get a bit more background.
Parker
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Good Light Read

This is a good short book on Norse mythology for people who are curious about Asgard, but don't want to delve too much into it. The main reason why I'm not giving it five stars is because it starts off with a heavy Christian influence. once you get past the first page however, the religious influence goes away.
Sidney Weber
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good for kids

The Greek myths that I remember had a moral or else tried to explain a physical phenomenon that was beyond the scientific knowledge of the ancients. While these tales were interesting, they were really fairy stories designed for children rather than more elevated tales as the Greek's.
Rich Meyer
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Basic but poorly formatted

This book, being free, was a good basic look at the myths of Asgard, but the formatting is annoying; half the book is centered, as if printing the original Edda's in poetic form. But the material told is not the original work.

As I said, it was free though, and makes a good primer on the original legends for any Thor fan.
Taylor Lucas
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing it tells you the really story

I have never read a book so detailed but my question is is Loki that bad he would cause Ranork and for what? So I suggest that you download this you mite have questions but it's worth it! I am writing a book I just need help publishing it. So I bet you know what it's going to be about.
Janell Santiago-rodríguez
I read this because I didn't know about Norse mythology. I found it very interesting and very informative. I like how is divided in short stories and how everything comes together at the end. I might read it again ...more

• Treasury of Egyptian Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Monsters & Mortals
  • Khan: Empire of Silver (Conqueror, #4)
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)
  • The Children of Odin: The Book of Northern Myths
  • The Hanging Stranger
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Fascinating Guide to Understanding the Gods, Goddesses, Monsters, and Mortals
  • Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)
  • Betwixt
  • Medical Neurobiology
  • Dearly: New Poems
  • Leaf by Niggle
  • Meno
  • Euthyphro
  • Gnister
  • Vi och dom
  • Who Will Comfort Toffle?
  • Letters from Klara
  • Incas: A Comprehensive Look at the Largest Empire in the Americas (Ancient Civilizations Book 1)

News & Interviews

“Frigga was the queen of the gods, and she helped her husband, Odin, govern the world. It was her part to look after the children, and help the mothers take care of their families.” 0 likes