Start by marking “The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 17: 1983-1984” as Want to Read:
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 17: 1983-1984

The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 17: 1983-1984

(The Complete Peanuts #17)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  337 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
As Peanuts reaches the mid-1980s, Charles Schulz is still creating and playing with new characters, and in this volume Snoopy's deadpan, droopy-mustached brother Spike takes center stage: Surrounded by coyotes in the desert where he lives and who are attacking him with rubber bands, he sends a frantic message to Snoopy who launches an expedition to save him. Then, he makes ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Fantagraphics (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 17

Jack Silbert
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As we're in the early 80s, I realize that I—as a high school student—read each of these on the day they came out. And yet, I don't remember any of them! That troubles me somewhat but hey, who cares, because I get to enjoy them all over again. It's fun to notice the occasional "modern" reference (Victoria Principal!). And as a kid of course I didn't notice the times when it was really Schulz speaking, from an older man's perspective, rather than the characters themselves. Anyway, this is another ...more
Baal Of
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mixed-nuts
When I was a kid, I obsessively collected as many of the Peanuts books I could get my hands on. By the time these strips were coming out, I wasn't following along so closely, occasionally reading new strips whenever I got hold of the newspaper at my grandmother's house, so most of these are new to me now. Maybe it's the lack of nostalgia on my part, or maybe the fact that this was a life-long endeavor for Schulz meant the moments of brilliance were more diffuse, but in either case, I found this ...more
Lee Anne
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This volume is very Spike heavy. I was all set to write that as my review, but before I did, I put this one on the shelf and pulled out Volume 18 to read next, only to find Spike is the cover subject, so I can only imagine how much Spike will be in that one. Don't get me wrong, I like Spike, this is just a LOT of Spike.

There are some great ones in here, too: Peppermint Patty gets left back in school and goes to Paris for the summer, Schroeder actually kisses Lucy when she remembers Beethoven's b
Leaflet
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, philosophy
I missed out on the 80s seemingly so a lot of new strips here for me.
One of my favorites was a dialogue between Sally and Charlie Brown:

Sally: "I hate everything! I hate the whole world!"
Charlie Brown: "I thought you had inner peace."
Sally: "I do. But I still have outer obnoxiousness."

Copied and hanging on my fridge.
David W.
Would anyone here like to talk about the New Year's strip of 1984? I can't get it out of my head.
Mike
Way too much Spike, never enough Marcie and Patty.
Kelly
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Peppermint Patty fails a grade. Lots more of Spike. And many that are simply laugh-out-loud funny.
Steven Hill
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
10 out of 10
SarahO
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Charlie Brown and the gang!
Travis
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-strip
By this seventeenth volume Peanuts is certainly in a groove. Unfortunately the groove turns into a bit of a rut. This volume contains large amounts of Peppermint Patty and Snoopy's brother Spike, at times almost exclusively focusing on the two characters.

Spike is a largely uninteresting, one-note character. He is better used as the punchline in the final panel, but far too many strips solely star Spike. His schtick of talking to a cactus was never overly funny and gets run into the ground in the
Daniel
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It's pretty difficult for me to judge a particular period of Peanuts on its own merits. The context of its entire 50-year-run is always over my shoulder. The 1980s is where it's definitely the most difficult for me.

By this time, Peanuts had definitely declined from its peak. The strip doesn't seem as socially relevant, and had I think lost some of its wit. But somehow I still find the strips from the '80s a lot of fun. There's a gentleness and droll quality that seems to have its own value to me
Dominick
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-strips, humour
By the 1980s what makes Peanuts interesting is not that it's funny but that it's so strange. It's actually not that funny any more. Yes, I did laugh at a few strips, but none were uproariously funny and most elicited at best mild amusement--the Spike ones especially, Schulz's apparent belief that the desert and cacti are inherently funny just not translating, at least to me. (And a dog with a moustache?) But any pretence to reality the strip used to have is long gone. Snoopy functions as a helic ...more
Rick
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The seventeenth volume in the series is not as good as its predecessors but, in its thirty-third and thirty-fourth year, it still has its pleasures. Marcie and Peppermint Patty both love Charlie Brown, writing him love letters from summer camp. Charlie doesn’t get this, even with some purposeful kicks to the shin, but Sally understands it and gets in on the shin-kicking and offers the memorable romantic advice, “KISS HER YOU BLOCKHEAD.” Peppermint Patty gets left back and gets taken by her dad o ...more
Rugg Ruggedo
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Leonard Maltin did the intro for this volume, calling on his cartoon expertise to say a few words about the series. As I said these intros are some of my favorites.
These two years saw a lot of Snoopy's brothers Spike and BFF's Peppermint Patty and Marcie. My favorite Spike story featured his best friend, a cactus, and how they came to visit Snoopy and Linus mistakes the cactus for The Great Pumpkin. PP and Marcie go to camp and miss "Chuck",and the next year, in the summer, PP goes to France an
Rosebud
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've always been a Peanuts fan. My favorite characters are Schroeder, Peppermint Patty, Linus and Snoopy (and of course Charlie too). There were a lot of Patty's trials in these two years, and she even got to Paris in the second year. Loved it!

I picked this up on the shelf at the library. I never knew these books by years were available. My only Peanuts fix has been the Sunday reruns. Now I know to look for other books for the rest of the years. What fun!

I learned that Charles Schulz did not lik
Scott
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
All the Peanuts books have been great, but this particular run won't make my list of favorites - there's a bit too much of Peppermint Patty dealing with her low academic prowess. Schulz has demonstrated before that he can really drive a particular bit into the ground, but somehow even by his standards, this seemed like overkill. Particularly since I had the same complaint about the previous volume.

For Pigpen watchers, he does appear here a couple of times, along with Violet in one strip, though
Rex Libris
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This volume starts off with one of the most satisfying ever: Schroeder resolves to laugh more. Lucy asks how he intends to do that, and Schroeder says by doing more stuff like this: and he yanks the piano out from underneath.

Characters a regular part of the strip now include Snoopy's brother Spike, and Rerun Van Pelt and his mother's bike.

Snoopy continues to steal the show as the head of a bunch of bird French foreign legionnaires and a series of love letters to his beloved.
Jennifer Campaniolo
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I love the Peanuts comic strips and I am happy to have the next two volumes in the complete series (perfect for under-the-covers reading like when I was a kid). And so I enjoyed the latest installment but I have to admit that the 80s was the decade that the strip kind of "jumped the shark." Some strips feel recycled and certain characters (namely Spike from Needles) are not as funny as the original core group.
Kylie Purdie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
Ah the 1980's. We are entering an era with these books where I start to get most of the pop culture references. Lots of aerobics happening, lots of Snoopy's brother Spike and lots of Charlie Brown just not being able to catch a break!
Reading a Complete Peanuts is a bit like entering into a well known, safe, warm place. You settle in and know you'll have a good time. There's no big surprises and you leave feeling like you would be welcome back any time. Yay for Peanuts.

Heather
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first appearance of Flashbeagle! George Orwell! A punchline that references a popular Cindy Lauper tune! An introduction by the beloved (by me) film critic Leonard Maltin! A great volume. After nearly two years, I'm finally caught up with the series until the next release this November. According to the endnotes, Molly Volley will be back—hurrah!
Rebecca
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Content - Peppermint Patty and Marci are hilarious in this book. Also, Schulz starts to mix things up a little and allows a little break with tradition here and there.

Mechanics - Schulz's hand is getting a little unsteady here and there - a testament to the fact that he did all his comic strip work himself.

Squeaky Clean? - yes.
J.V. Seem
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simply delightful, yet another great volume for my collection!
It also spaced out my reading sessions of a 700 page Marilyn Monroe biography quite well.
Classic Schulz!
PWRL
Jul 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-new
E
Travis Smith
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Spike was okay in small doses in earlier volumes, but there's way too much of him in this one, and Schulz really plays out the "he talks to a cactus" joke.
Mark Schlatter
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of Spike in the desert, Snoopy taking the birds camping, and Peppermint Patty with academic difficulties (including being held back for a short time).
Greg Brozeit
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peanuts
A good one for readers:

Sally: I have to do a report on Charles Dickens.
Sally: I thought you could help me.
Charlie Brown: What do you want to know?
Sally: Who did he play for?
Stephanie  Harchar
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love Sparky!!!
Allison
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Not as good as the others. Almost too many Peppermint Patty sleeping in class jokes.
Lucre27
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hermoso! pura ternura, un regreso a la infancia.
Mike Jensen
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This volume reprints the charming-as-can-be PEANUTS strips from 1983-4. The strip may not be as funny as it once was, but it has more heart. It is also, sometimes, surreal.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Baby Blues 04: I Thought Labor Ended When the Baby Was Born
  • The Bloom County Library, Vol. 3: 1984-1986
  • Archie: The Married Life Book 2
  • Poppy and Ereth (Dimwood Forest, #5)
  • MUTTS
  • The Saturday Evening Pearls: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • George and Martha Tons of Fun
  • Foxtrotius Maximus
Charles Monroe Schulz was an American cartoonist, whose comic strip Peanuts proved one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium, and is still widely reprinted on a daily basis.

Schulz's first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1950 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there, although he applied the name in

The Complete Peanuts (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952