Start by marking “A Lot like Love...a li'l like chocolate” as Want to Read:
A Lot like Love...a li'l like chocolate

A Lot like Love...a li'l like chocolate

"He’s a player. She knows the rules. They meet. Smile. Talk. Add each other on Facebook. Exchange BB pins. He asks her out for coffee. She agrees. Another coffee follows. So do movies, drives, moonlight walks, study dates, sneakouts, make out sessions. Shadab and Arnika.

Both eighteen. Committed. In a relationship.

It’s a perfectly clichéd bubblegum love story...or is it? ..
Published November 30th 2011 by General Press (first published 2011)

Ankit
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
WHY!!!!!!!!!!! why did I read this book!!!!!!!!After reading all the "Bhagats" and "Durjoy dattas", I made the sacred vow of never touch any Indian literature by some amateur writers about the most intricate topic : LOVE.Still I went through this godforsaken story about two love birds try to keep a long distance relation and guess what!! it didn't work out... incredulous isn't it!!!!!!Zero depth in the characters, vapid story line with lose ends completely puts me off.
AND that 1 extra star is cr
Surabhi Sharma
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Distance – one of the killers of love stories. When this distance comes between new found lovers their love story is bound to take a downturn. When they were uncertain of their life and undecided of their career. Distance acts like a bummer. A Lot Like Love….. A Li’l Like Chocolate is the story of the love of two such people who fall in love by chance when they shouldn’t have.

This is a Young Adult story of two teenagers packed with funny moments. The story is interesting and fun to read with fun
Sneha
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, why 5 stars for Sumrit's this creation.. 4**** for the characters and the story.. 1* for the magic that is created during the entire read by Sumrit.. The shuffling and playing with words is at its best, that one can ever give during writing..

Shadab.... Arnika.... Both Eighteen, and story goes on showing different shades that one can ever find in a single read.. Shades of Youth's relation with their parents, Grandparents and the world outside them as well.. Lovely Story and ag
Abhranil Dutta
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Abhranil by: Sneha
This is a same another love story by a typical indian author ... :(

From the ratings(*4.30!*) and good reviews of the readers , I predicted this book would be something different and interesting .... , but i was proved terribly wrong ..!!

I think similar to 'FACEBOOK' even in 'GOODREADS' fake profiles are being created at random just to increase the ratings of the books ...!! :O

The summary of this book is as usual as it can be -

A rich and handsome guy(Shadab) - A beautiful girl(Arnika) - first the
Veena
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I picked this book up after reading Alias Grace. I wanted to read something quick and light. It is unlike any book I have read before. Not in a good way.

Cover page
I received a revised edition of the book. The cover is great, done up in style. There is an adventurous couple on a hilltop watching the sunrise/sunset. It does not relate to the event inside the book however, I guess the point is to show two people in love. It is a great graphic art.

Characters
It is the story of Shadab and Arnika. They
Ritu Mantri
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
A Lot like Love...a li'l like chocolate is a lot like Bollywood inspired romantic theater play and a little like a romantic novel. I really have no idea when our dear Indian authors will start writing decent romantic novels which are at par with novels like Twilight, A Walk To Remember etc.

Authors, these days have fixed formula and format to write romantic novels which could be enjoyed by casual readers but definitely not by avid readers like me.

So there is a girl and a boy. They fall for each o
Priya
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it
A book for all teenagers ! The story put in this book gives somewhat a good picture of how school sweethearts can fall in mad love, and then the distance between them created by their own separate worlds can convert the 'love' into 'a lot like love'. In real world, both of them may not be at fault because at that age, one is not only crazy and weak or insane in falling for infatuation / love, but he/she is also crazy about the dreams that they would have fantasized in that young age. In this sto ...more
Mitali
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
The story line seemed cliché but presentation thankfully wasn’t. There was romance, fights, fun, gripping dialogues, entertaining and relatable incidences and modern tech fun (BBM, skype, facebook).

At the beginning, after reading a few pages, I was quite apprehensive about the entire story and the book. It didn’t sound very interesting. Frankly, I was lost. Too many names and tangled incidences. But then as the story moved into a flashback, the pieces fell into place.

The ending was abrupt. The e
Vinoth Srinivasan
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, exploring-me
A wonderful novel that shows the initial highness when a relationship blossoms and how it withers to dust because of ego and distrust, when distance creeps in.
Suma Hegde
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Was an okayish book. A light read. But I so hate this book for its bittersweet ending. :'(
Shannu
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
An admirable work by Sumrit Shahi , and a lot like tricky ;)
Yamini
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cheesy romance! Lovely BTW. :)
Ananya Ghosh
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: indian, romance, boring
Really bad experience. Don't even read this!!
Ankita Mohanty
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
this book is very very pathetic. its simply is successful in showing that teenagers r stupid, dumb n crazy for just nothing.
Pravalli Modugula
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: indian-authors
not great nd not bad either..
Aparna Prabhu
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Plot:

Shadab, the handsome rich brat spots the ambitious, no-nonsense lass, Arnika, in the school principal's room. There is an instant connection between them due to their common interests. Shadab is attracted to her striking personality and feels butterflies fluttering in his stomach.

His one liners to woo Arnika are deflected by her razor sharp tongue. Even though she is immune to his tactics, she could not shield herself from the Cupid's arrow.

Shadab realises that Arnika is not like the other
Arti
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Arnika Sinha, the daughter of Nishi Sinha, a celebrated National theatre artist and bestselling author, shifts base to Chandigarh alongwith her mother as her grandmother is alone. In Chandigarh, she gets admitted to Class XII of J.W.S High School because of her glorious academic record, some debating wins an her mother’s influence. In the school, she meets handsome Shadab Parvez, the president of the theatre and debating club who also happens to be her classmate.
The story has been written in a
Zainab Travadi
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title is catchy and will arouse the curiosity of the readers about the story. The narration style of the author is simple and language is easy to read. You can picture every moment of this love story.

The main characters, as well as supporting characters are very well defined. Narration of each character is very impressive. Each one has a very profound meaning for their existence. As a reader, I felt myself connected with characters of the book. The author interfaces real to life people, mome
Purujit Parashar
literally after reading such good books by durjoy datta and chetan bhagat I started growing fond of indian writers but then wtf is this literally the worst book I've ever read What was that at the end like what the fuck I still can't believe I read it If i have the power to delete this book from my memory i will do it happily It's just the worst ending a book can have like wtf oh my god At the end she left him and after several months she text him to be his friends in the epilogue like what the ...more
Samata
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
The one thing that I found really commendable about the book is the unique sense of humor with which the author has written it. Although the young author still lacks the skill of strong character building, his ability to present the story in short, witty and funny sentences needs to be praised. Sadly the story itself does not offer anything new or interesting but this should not be held against a 17 year old writer, who has tried to present a tale that is relevant to the present generation and t ...more
Kalyan Panja
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Lot Like Love has a disarming simplicity and clarity. There are subtle feelings and thoughts that you could never have expressed in words. The protagonists are "true" and in no way dated. But above all, there is a certain background melancholy. It is as if Sumrit Shahi saw the story through a nostalgic veil that is sad and sweet together.
Alex
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Even though this is not a great book, I'm writing the review and giving it 3 stars taking into account of the fact that the author was only about 18 when he wrote it. That means something. I was really intrigued by his language and the book was overall cool!!

I see a lot of potential. Good luck!
VaultOfBooks
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
By Sumrit Shahi. Grade: B
I had heard about Sumrit Shahi and his debut novel Just Friends which he wrote when he was sixteen. It had been very well marketed and seemed to be a big hit among my friends. But much to my disappointment, I never got the time to read the book. So when I was offered to read A Lot Like Love… a li’l Like Chocolate, I was looking forward to reading it, despite the fact that I stay away from Indian authors because I don’t like them much.
He’s a player. She knows the rules. T
Karan
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had spare time, and my roomie had this book.The only reason behind reading this book!!!!! Coming towards reading party, I felt it was more like the conversation between two people and less of reading. The only thing I liked about this book is the END, where the couple actually breaks up and relives reader from going through more melodrama.
Jayshree Sridhar
Mar 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Typical. Dramatic. Bollywood.
Firstly i want to ask a few questions to the writer. Are you the same guy who wrote 'just friends'? Are you sure you wrote 'just friends' first and this next? then how come your first book is so awesome with excellent narration, believable characters, flawless story and appreciable humour but the second book with typical story, confusing characters, predictable ending and in short nothing in it????

its very obvious that the narrator wanted to show the face of today's
Navneeth Sundararaghavan
Dec 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
When one begins reading a love story written by an Indian author, said person has to set their expectations accordingly.

It is for our guilty pleasure that we read said books. Just like how we turn up to watch every Shah Rukh/Sallu movie. We should not expect anything intelligent or anything which tugs our heartstrings. Instead one has to expect clichés and melodrama.

The book gives you those 'Ha I could so relate to this' moments as expected. In fact I strongly feel that these books have now be
Sai Sravani
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
realistic to the present era love!!!
set up in the +2 age group, it is about 2 people getting into a lovely relation ship and yet pursuing their goals. they knew they had different career plans and went on to work out a long distance relationship, when the heroin goes abroad for studies. there comes space issues, littke disturbances, and the hero, cheats on her. men will be men applies and the heroin re evaluates the relation and their freedom in it. tehy break up, saying if its no longer giving
Srikumar Krishna Iyer
Few nice things about this Novel (if u can call it one;):
- it was short & almost like chetan bhagat's writing, hence easy to slog through and reach the end.
- it cost me just 5 bucks in the Kindle store.
- no explicit description of love making between the lead pair (thnk God!!)

Atleast while reading CB's novels one will feel that its more like a bollywood movie screenplay, the same cannot be said here.

The characterizations are very poor, or not very inspiring or worth remembering.

I don't remem
Meghant Parmar
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Some people do have the audacity to express the complicated things in a very simple manner. This novel is a great example of it.

The story is simple. It's about love, long distance and its after effects. Things are never simple in love even when it comes to real life and same is the depiction in the book.

Some might find it a regular read and it is just like many other stories but few things are pretty good in the book. the epilogue is emotional and last few sentences make u feel the love of two
Book'd
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Amazing piece of work from Sumrit Shahi,
As rightly said, no room for boredom in this book.. each and every page will keep your attention glued to them.
A teenage love story, perfect modern love story of Shadab and Arnika. Right from the moment when they met each other, become friends, fell in love and.... I will not ruin the interest by writing further.

Actually this was a real refreshing and light read after completing The Kite Runner.

Recommended for everyone who prefer to read a light chick-lit
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Dilli-Mumbai Story ...when Love Won Over Terror
  • It's first love...Just like the last one!
  • Are You The One For Me