Start by marking “Final Arrangements” as Want to Read:
Final Arrangements

Final Arrangements

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Ever since his parents' funeral, Casey Kight felt a comfort and ease among morticians that he knew no where else in the world. He decided right then, at the age of nine, what he wanted to be when he grew up...an undertaker. The day he turned twenty-one, Casey joined the ranks of Morton-Albright, a family owned and operated mortuary, in the small Florida town of Angel Shoal ...more
Published March 15th 2002 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Final Arrangements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Arrangements

Katharine
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I am systematically reading through my public library's fiction shelves. I don't read the back jacket, I don't do any research, I just put six books in my bag, by six different authors and head to the front desk. Then, each book gets 50 pages (enough for one evening) if I like it, I keep going. If I don't, back to the library it goes. Something should be said about this book when I checked what page I was on, and how far I had to go, and I was on page 75. VERY.GOOD. ...more
Marvin
Aug 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young boy whose parents are killed in a plane crash is comforted at the funeral home. When he tells the funeral director he wants to work there, he's told to return when he's 21. He does return on his 21st birthday, is taken on as an apprentice, & adopted into the family of the family-owned & family-operated business, who quickly recognize his gift for the work. He falls in love with the director's daughter & gets involved in an effort to save the family-owned business from the evi ...more
Meredith
Won't rate this because it was several years ago, but I remember it fondly, so I must have enjoyed it. Vague memories of being impressed/intrigued by all the details of the mortuary business and also that it is quite funny. Will recommend it to someone wants an offbeat, fun read.
SJ
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I've worked in the funeral service industry and wanted to see if the author gave true descriptions of the business. He did! Plus I found myself laughing out loud because of all the antics that go on. If you want to see the lighter side of funeral service pick this up.
Carin
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will sound strange but this is a respectful, and hysterical novel about the funeral home business.
Larigoodson
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who knew working in a funeral home could be so mysterious and funny?
Loni Arnold-wade
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this fast read, it was interesting and humorous. The characters are quite like able. There are dark parts and it can get quite graphic when discussing how a body is cared for after death (fictionally). Seems more non fiction than fiction in that topic. For the writers first book he did well, if he writes another I would read it.
Elaine
Oct 20, 2011 marked it as started-reading-but-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Dealing with the dead and a sense of humor.

Much of the book is funny. Some is a bit off such as with "the presence." And Natalie. She's a bit off as well. I think after she was introduced, the book went down hill from there.
KateMoxie
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Different. Not bad, not good.
Margaret M.
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The author's knowledge of the old-school family-owned funeral parlor puts an slightly gritty edge to a hilarious narrative. I found myself laughing aloud on several chapters. I need a laugh lately.
Will
Jul 04, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Funny book about a guy whose lifelong dream is to become a mortician.
Willie Bushnell
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone in the funeral business should read this

A very good story. What family business doesn't have family secrets? I enjoyed reading this book. Wish there was a part two.
Spiro
Aug 15, 2008
Alison Millar
Dec 10, 2012
Isabelle
rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2010