Start by marking “Barabbas: A Dream of the World's Tragedy” as Want to Read:
Barabbas: A Dream of the World's Tragedy

Barabbas: A Dream of the World's Tragedy

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Paperback, 1893, 324 pages
Published August 29th 2006 by Book Jungle (first published 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Barabbas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barabbas

Dave
Marie Corelli tries something a bit different with her seventh novel, “Barabbas, A Dream of the World’s Tragedy”. Published in 1893, it is the story of the crucifixion, told (for the most part) from the perspective of Barabbas, the criminal whose life was spared while Jesus was sent to die. With her previous novels falling into two general categories, it was nice to see a different type story from her.

On the positive side, as mentioned before, it is a different type of story than what she had wr
Mel
This book was definitely going to be the test of my new found Marie Corelli Love. I wasn't really sure I wanted to read a book about the death and resurection of Christ, but as it was listed as the first part of the trilogy that "Sorrows of Satan" was in I thought I should read it first. It started really well, Barabbas in his cell in prison facing death. Then the trial of Jesus continued and it dragged a bit, and was just a bit too close to the gospel to be that interesting. But then 100 pages ...more
Sara
May 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is a hard book for me to read but I am determined to finish what I started... the language is immature and the writing style is so poor as to be almost humorous at times (when not at all intended). I don't know what I am missing- my husband and mother-in-law love this book, but I am not much caring for it. Worst of all the theology behind the writing is terrible... more to come later, perhaps...

I just finished it and have not changed my mind from the above. But, here is one quote which I li
Pat Elliott
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I came to Marie Corelli via a free copy of The Sorrows of Satan, and have read more of hers since. Her descriptions are fabulous, I find it easy to imagine myself in the place she describes.
In this book she brings to life the person of Barabbas, who was set free in place of Christ. She manages to describe Barabbas sympathetically, which is a viewpoint not often taken. She also introduces some women of the time, Judith, Mary, Ruth, and the Magdalen - and makes their s
Sammy
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-fav-books, own-it
This is one of the best books I have read in my life. It is very insightful, revealing and informative. Marie is one of the best narrators who is able to get readers to involve themselves fully and "addicted" to her book. Though most of the things recorded aren't directly in Bible, the story told about Barabbas, Judas, Jesus are so believable to doubt. It is a great book.
Ralph Carlson
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. I had no intension of reading it when I pulled it off my shelf to put up on ebay (I am trying to clear my shelfs of books collected over many years and have never read). I read the first chapter and continued reading.
Iyke otiteh
James Benson
Dec 02, 2013
Gabriel
Apr 19, 2012
Marie Corelli (born Mary Mackay) was a best-selling British novelist of the Victorian and Edwardian eras, whose controversial works of the time often label her as an early advocate of the New Age movement.

In the 1890’s Marie Corelli’s novels were eagerly devoured by millions in England, America and the colonies. Her readers ranged from Queen Victoria and Gladstone, to the poorest of shop girls. In
More about Marie Corelli