Jump to ratings and reviews

Raymond's Run

Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.

We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has been designed with today's young reader in mind. As the words come to life, students will develop a lasting appreciation for great literature.

The humor of Mark Twain...the suspense of Edgar Allan Poe...the danger of Jack London...the sensitivity of Katherine Mansfield. Creative Short Stories has it all and will prove to be a welcome addition to any library.

First published January 1, 1990

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Toni Cade Bambara

40 books368 followers
Toni Cade Bambara, born Miltona Mirkin Cade (March 25, 1939 – December 9, 1995) was an African-American author, documentary film-maker, social activist and college professor.

Toni Cade Bambara was born in New York City to parents Walter and Helen (Henderson) Cade. She grew up in Harlem, Bedford Stuyvesant (Brooklyn), Queens and New Jersey. In 1970 she changed her name to include the name of a West African ethnic group, Bambara.

Bambara graduated from Queens College with a B.A. in Theater Arts/English Literature in 1959, then studied mime at the Ecole de Mime Etienne Decroux in Paris, France. She also became interested in dance before completing her master's degree in American studies at City College, New York (from 1962), while serving as program director of Colony Settlement House in Brooklyn. She has also worked for New York social services and as a recreation director in the psychiatric ward of Metropolitan hospital. From 1965 to 1969 she was with City College's Search for Education, Elevation, Knowledge-program. She taught English, published material and worked with SEEK's black theatre group. She was made assistant professor of English at Rutgers University's new Livingston College in 1969, was visiting professor in Afro-American Studies at Emory University and at Atlanta University (1977), where she also taught at the School of Social Work (until 1979). She was writer-in-residence at Neighborhood Arts Center (1975–79), at Stephens College at Columbia, Missouri (1976) and at Atlanta's Spelman College (1978–79). From 1986 she taught film-script writing at Louis Massiah's Scribe Video Center in Philadelphia.

Bambara participated in several community and activist organizations, and her work was influenced by the Civil Rights and Black Nationalist movements of the 1960s. She went on propaganda trips to Cuba in 1973 and to Vietnam in 1975. She moved to Atlanta, GA, with her daughter, Karma Bene, and became a founding member of the Southern Collective of African-American Writers.

Toni Cade Bambara was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1993 and died of it in 1995, at the age of 56.

(from Wikipedia)

aka Toni Cade

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
33 (10%)
1 star
23 (7%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews
Profile Image for Cheryl .
8,915 reviews391 followers
January 2, 2019
A wonderful short story with wisdom for all ages. The kind of selection often found in the Junior Great Books. Gorgeously written in Hazel/ Squeaky's own voice. I don't know any African-Americans who were children around 1990, but it sounds authentic to me. Also, the themes are timeless. I love not only the family all pulling together, and the special care given to Raymond, but the exploration of the fact that females are not as kind to one another, no matter their age, as they should be.

I read an un-illustrated edition with a missing jacket; it looked like a chapbook.
July 19, 2022
The book is written very well. I felt the author could have told us more about Raymond and made him part of some race because it was told that Raymond was able to keep up with Hazel's practice speed. I also feel that there should have been a race between Hazel and her father.
February 28, 2018
Raymond run is about squeaky and her brother Raymond who had special needs and how squeaky had to protect him because some people make fun of him and squeaky doesn't take anything from anybody and squeaky proves shes strong by running and she builds up walls which makes her not be able to get friends and this girl Gretchen raced squeaky and that when she realized Raymond is fast and they could work together.
Profile Image for aar.raj.
34 reviews29 followers
March 11, 2020
There could be spoilers. . . . . . . . . . .

I absolutely despise Raymond's Run.
I get that you're blinded by the desire to win and everything, but why do you have to diss your brother. I get that he's different, but that does not give you any right to do anything like that.

And on top of not liking the story, my wonderful teacher made us write an analysis on it.
Yay
*rolls eyes*
Profile Image for Gabriel.
21 reviews1 follower
April 20, 2018
Raymond's Run by Toni Cade Bambara is a great book. It tells of a brother and a sister who are very close. The brother ( Raymond ) is special and people laugh at him because he is helpless and can't really defend himself. He would be like that if it weren't for his sister ( Squeaky ). Squeaky steps in for Raymond. She doesn't let anyone push him around because the only one who dies the pushing is her. Squeaky is a character who is hard to love, she bosses people around and is very defensive, but she cares for Raymond and has a good side to her. In her race, she wins but looks over to Raymond who is cheering for her and also running. This changes Squeaky and she becomes nice. Squeaky and Raymond then sees how much she really cares. I recommend this book to anyone up for a good book.
January 30, 2018
I absolutely loved this book, i feel that this book taught me that respect is earned and not given and that even though you are different from other people it doesn't mean that you have deal with people that discourage you, stand up for yourself. It doesn't matter what people think about you, you are a unique person. I felt bad for squeaky because she had to stand up for herself and for her older brother, she did things that a child shouldn't have to do by herself. Squeaky was very defensive on things she loved, she was also determined to win a race, she doesn't want to let herself down. This is why i loved this book.
Profile Image for Laurie.
746 reviews1 follower
October 15, 2020
I can tell from reviews that this story is commonly read by students in schools. There are lessons to be learned from Hazel's relationship with her brother Raymond, who is intellectually disabled, and her defence of him against the mean girls in her class. Additionally Hazel runs a 50 yard dash that she has always won easily against a fierce competitor whom she doesn't like. Understandable that this is read by middle school students, but it is well worth reading for anyone.
January 30, 2018

My opinion in this book was many different feelings. At times it was interesting and the other times I was bored out of my mind. My favorite part is when she talks about her racing,that was always the part that I got interested.
January 30, 2018
I think that this story represents a lot of real world problems on how kids act differently in real life. Squeaky is very competitive which is kinda how most kids act now, and it shows conflict between the kids.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
2 reviews
January 30, 2018
I think that this short story was kinda boring. It wasn’t able to keep my attention. I was constantly wondering around in my mind. If the author would have put some more interesting sentences in the book, than it would have been better.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
January 30, 2018
Raymond’s run is a very good book. It’s a good book to me because there is a life lesson in it. The life lesson is when you do the right thing you become successful. The last reason is because children can learn from it.
January 30, 2018
I thought the story was pretty good especially the racing part but I was confused about Raymond and what was wrong with him
Profile Image for Dana Qasas.
26 reviews
October 13, 2020
It's so touchy. It's a big lesson about how you sacrifice your life for your family but still you don't lose your life or yourself.
Big like, and big heart.
2 reviews
October 28, 2021
Honestly, I enjoyed it. I read it for my African American Literature class, and connected with the narrator.
16 reviews1 follower
November 30, 2021
Good story and very nice lesson. I can really tell how Squeaky is feeling and I love the way things change in the end.
28 reviews
January 21, 2022
I liked reading about Squeaky and Raymond because Squeaky was a little selfish at the beginning but at the end she was less selfish. She was also very caring.
8 reviews
June 14, 2022
Had to read for my English class but it was a fun light read, probably mostly aimed at children, but I enjoyed it. The main character was funny at times and very sassy.
Profile Image for Marshall Wayne Lee.
466 reviews2 followers
June 11, 2019
Raymond's Run by Toni Cade Bambara is one of my most favorite stories, and it never gets old.

Instead of reading it this time, I found an audio version on youtube and listened. Unfortunately, no reader is given credit, but she did a great job.

What do I love about this story? A few things: the narrator, her voice, her wisdom. I love Bambara's rhythms, and word choices. I laugh, I cry. I just adore Squeaky.

Do not pass go, do no collect 200 dollars go direct to this story and read it!
Profile Image for Mare.
879 reviews
October 2, 2011
A touching story that touches on good sportsmanship and how it relates to winning & losing and what really is winning?
Squeaky is a great runner who can focus and train regardless of who teases her. She’s confident in herself… but she starts to think about her friend, non-friends and her older handicapped brother one day as she trains for an upcoming local race and realizes a few things about life.
4 reviews1 follower
November 20, 2014
Raymond's Run is a really fantastic story. The author, Toni Cade Bambara is a great author who was trying to entertain the reader, and teach him/her at the same time.
I really liked the story a lot, but the author mentioned much more details and events. Till I was like dreaming to finish the story as soon as possible!!!
Profile Image for JARED FITE.
15 reviews
November 1, 2016
Raymond's Run was a short story. It was a great story. I thought it was funny when the little kids ran into the fence. Raymond's older brother has a disease. Her older brother looks up to her. She takes care of him.
3 reviews1 follower
Read
December 27, 2009
i learn from this book that is doesn't matter if some one has a problem is better to help like squeaky did she help her bother raymond he was mentally ill and at the end he become a awesome runner.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 42 reviews