Start by marking “A Game of Groans: A Sonnet of Slush and Soot” as Want to Read:
A Game of Groans: A Sonnet of Slush and Soot

A Game of Groans: A Sonnet of Slush and Soot

2.28  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A PARODY OF THE BELOVED FANTASY DOORSTOP… ER, SAGA

In the land of the Eight (or was it Six?) Kingdoms—where the seasons last as long as a series of bestselling Tolkien-esque novels—trouble is brewing. The mud is growing muddier, the onions are rotting, the Wall to the North (or is it the South?) is melting, and Lord Barker of Summerseve is getting worried. His wife is add
Published March 27th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Game of Groans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Game of Groans

Ian "Marvin" Graye
This was quite a disappointment. I was hoping there would be pirates, R.R.
Myles
Dumb.

This could have been funny, as great as A Song of Ice and Fire can be there is ample fodder in the series and in Martin's writing: his "titillation" scenes, meandering plots stuffed with extraneous detail, stupid fantasy spelling, etc. this should have been a fun and light read that both deflates the series and offers another angle of appreciation. Nothing to see here.

Oh there are jokes, desperately over-thought wordplay of the sub-Mad magazine variety that overshadows the rare clever piece
Johnny
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, parody
If you can’t enjoy both parody and the sources said parody is based on, you won’t like A Game of Groans: A Sonnet of Slush and Soot. This humorous effort mocks George R. R. Martin’s Westeros (as Easterrabbit) and all of its characters with a variety of painful puns, scatological humor, and fraternity-level sexual groping (It is too overt for innuendo and too ridiculous to be titillating, so I’ll call it groping as if reaching for a joke in questionable ways.) that roughly follows the early stage ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Since I am in a generous mood today, I'm giving this book two stars. Really...more like 1.5. I came close on several occassions to abandoning it all together but it was so short that I kept plowing through. Sort of like watching a train wreck...just can't not watch it.

I would recommend this book only to the following types of readers:

1) Only those that have read A Game of Thrones will have any chance at all of finding some sort of enjoyment here. If you haven't read the source material, you wil
Antony
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great funny book. The reason people don't like it is because they haven't read many fantasy books. You need to have a sense of humor to read this book. Read this book if you are a geek, read this book if you like star wars, lord of the rings, game of thrones, and harry potter, but DON'T read this book if you have no sense of humor or if you take jokes too seriously. It's a very funny book, it's just people who read it take things too seriously. Get over it. Its hilarious.
Eric Hunter
Aug 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Not very funny, not very interesting. Tryion is a skinny giant, the King's Hand is called the King's Foot, the Stark motto is, "Summer is coming", and the direwolves are direpandas. Yawn.
Vincent Ribaya
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A Game of Groans: A Sonnet of Slush and Soot is a parody of A Game of Thrones, the first book from the A Song of Ice and Fire saga by George R.R. Martin.

Now, if you expect a parody much like what Epic Movie (2007) did to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, or what Family Guy did (both fantastically and respectfully) to Star Wars, then you'll be horribly disappointed.

The parody-style of A Game of Groans is not much like the modern-type of parodies many of us would, at first, resp
Roxanne Walls
Half of the time, I was laughing alongside the parodic lampshading of the ridiculous things that exist in the ASoIaF canon. The other half was spent shaking my head at the really cheap and crude jokes. There were many missed opportunities for smarter jokes, but that's not for this kind of book, is it?
Carry
Really funny. A book where you don't have to think with at all. I enjoyed it!
Marco Olofsson
Jan 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A complete and utter disaster.

Jumping on the song of ice and fire bandwagon, many other writers have sought out to make a parody of the GOT universe. This can be done quite easily, since the characters of the book series are rich and you can easily make fun of them, given that the reader has already read the books or seen the TV series.

A game of groans is a complete and utter mess. It's jokes are not funny, by the first 20 pages, you'll have to re-read almost every page to sort of decypher what
  • My Favorite Fangs: The Story of the Von Trapp Family Vampires
  • Spartacus: Morituri (Spartacus #2)
  • The Guttenberg Bible: A Memoir
  • The Lieutenant's Lover
  • The Girl with the Sturgeon Tattoo: A Parody
  • Mrs Coverlet's Magicians
  • George R.R. Martin's A Game Of Thrones #12
  • Insanity: My Mad Life
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • If You Give a Kid a Cookie, Will He Shut the F**k Up?: A Parody for Adults
  • In the Shadow of Denali: Life and Death on Alaska's Mt. McKinley
  • How to Talk to Your Cat
  • Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie, #18)
  • Hitman: Damnation
  • 1494: How a Family Feud in Medieval Spain Divided the World in Half
  • The Velveteen Killer Rabbit
  • Hush Money: A Mystery (Jack MacTaggart #1)
  • The Sapphire Princess Helps a Mermaid (The Jewel Kingdom, #10)