Start by marking “The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book: Faith, Family, and the Land” as Want to Read:
The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book: Faith, Family, and the Land

The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book: Faith, Family, and the Land

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In 1966, an English teacher and students in Northeast Georgia founded a quarterly magazine, not only as a vehicle to learn the required English curriculum, but also to teach others about the customs, crafts, traditions, and lifestyle of their Appalachian culture. Named Foxfire after a local phosphorescent lichen, the magazine became one of the most beloved publications in ...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Anchor

To ask other readers questions about The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book

Stephanie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book struck me as white, white, white. Really white. And very Christian in a way that perhaps I should have expected, but faith comes in many forms - I guess not in them thar hills though. Was nice to read it outside and feel my connection with the land as folks talked about theirs'. Like another reviewer, I think I may enjoy the journals more - will check one out as soon as I can!
Xysea
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: diy, greens, those interested in Appalachian culture and practices
While this one did less for me than other books in the series, owing to the centrality of religion in the subject matter, I still enjoyed this book.

Mostly, I like the anecdotes and the recipes. I've gotten some great ones from this book, like scratch biscuits and basic applesauce.

Since sustainable living is my current goal, it behooved me to check these out again, if only as a refresher course in the basics of gardening, canning, sewing, home-keeping, etc.

Definitely worth your while, if you're
David Ward
The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book: Faith, Family, and the Land by Eliot Wigginton (Anchor 2006) (917.58). After forty years of the Foxfire publications, this volume focuses on three core values: faith, family, and the land. The older generation provides descriptions of how things used to be, and the new generation eagerly listens and learns the old trades and traditions. My rating: 7/10, finished 2007.
Katherine
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I think I would like reading the actual Foxfire journals more than reading the snippets of these conversations. As an oral historian, this book seemed great for the casual reader looking for quotes - but I want a holistic viewpoint.
Linda
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. I especially love the home remedies, they made me howl! Totally worth your time.
Dre
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Another on my list of starts....started it...
lola
Feb 26, 2009 rated it liked it
This American Life that We Live in the Appalachian Mountains. Heavy on the Jesus.
Stephanie
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Excerpts from interviews with Southern Appalachian elders about the topics of land, family and faith.
Susan Graham
Shawna
Sep 25, 2011
Vampiravali
Jun 13, 2008
Eliot Wigginton (born Brooks Eliot Wigginton) is an American oral historian, folklorist, writer and former educator. He was most widely known for developing the Foxfire Project, a writing project that led to a magazine and the series of best-selling Foxfire books, twelve volumes in all. These were based on articles by high school students from Rabun County, Georgia. In 1986 he was named "Georgia T ...more