Start by marking “Letting Go of Lisa” as Want to Read:
Letting Go of Lisa

Letting Go of Lisa

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,345 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Nathan Malone has been homeschooled his whole life. He’s never spent much time with kids his own age and he’s never dated. His mother is now busy with his new twin sisters, so Nathan must enroll at the local high school for his senior year. On the first day, a girl on a motorcycle catches his eye and Nathan is excited to discover the girl is also in his English class.

Not o
Published October 9th 2007 by Laurel Leaf (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Letting Go of Lisa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letting Go of Lisa

Anna Koch
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. I would recommend it to any teenage girl. It's a good, sad love story and it's very easy to read and get into. I cried at the end because it was so sad. I liked it because it was in a boy's perspective instead of a girls like most love story books are.
Dalene
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It never fails, Lurlene McDaniel is able to write a great love story, with a tragic backstory. Letting Go of Lisa is another amazing book by McDaniel.
Jennica
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Jennica Munden
Romance
Critical analysis: This is a story that gets into the wrongs and rights of young relationships, about what love can endure, and about a life changing experiences and the personal choices in handling difficult decisions concerning life and death.

Opinions: This is a sad and beautiful story. It is also a hard one to read, but it is a wonderful one with a wonderful lesson about living, loving, and continuing on once someone is gone.

Summary: Lisa is a fiery girl who lives life to
Brittany Christensen
Dec 09, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-420
Genre: Romance
After years of home school, Nathan enrolls in the local public school for his senior year of high school. As he tries to make friends and fit into this new world, an unlikely candidate presents herself. Lisa is a tough girl, friends with no one, and rides a motorcycle. By just being himself, Nathan breaks into her and their relationship blooms. But when he discovers her deadly secret they learn more than ever about living and dying. This book may be one of the sappiest things I've
Amy
I had never read Lurlene McDaniel, but had to give her a try when a reader said all the emotion of my novel, A Matter of Heart, reminded her of a McDaniel story. I had no idea she's written so many and it seems that they all feature a teen facing death. In this story, a high school senior, Lisa, catches the eye of Nathan, a boy who's been homeschooled. He falls hard for her though she's hiding secrets. Turns out, she's in remission with a brain tumor but it comes back. It's a sad ending but easy ...more
Carly
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a boy who has been home schooled all his life, and got transfered into a public school for his senior year. At first sight of Lisa.- a hard core, tough attitude, motorcycle riding girl - falls in love, but only to find out she has secrets no one knows and shes not willing to reveal - at least not right away....

Was such a good book. It was a little sad at the end but that was the best part. I love this author and all of her books. I deff. reccomend it to anyone - probally more
Lisa
This was an okay book, I just wish it had been longer and that Nathan and Lisa's story could have seemed less rushed. It seemed too fast and therefore less realistic. To me it didn't feel like they had the connection that Nathan seemed to believe they had. It ended sad, but it really didn't seem as sad as it should since I didn't believe that the characters were in love. It was still a good, quick read, just not what I was really expecting.
Jack Gillard
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic. I love this book, McDaniel had me rooting for Nathan the entire time. It's more than a love story, it's about a feeling that everyone wants to feel. Throughout the whole book I felt as if I could feel everything that Nathan could feel. The character descriptions were great, this is a must read.
Mel
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I read it constantly. The poem Lisa writes is one that gives me strength when I need it. I highly recommend this book!
Mrs
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Lurlene McDaniel! She has a way of writing that just pulls the reader in and makes them love the characters in the books. This was yet another awesome read.
Karley
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like the book but Lisa never really liked him she was hesitant
Rocio
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talese
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engl-420
I listened to this story in the form of an audio book. It is the story of a boy named Nathan who has been home-schooled all his life and has had few social opportunities with kids of his age. Nathan’s mom has twin girls and he is forced to attend a large public high school for his senior year. On the first day of school, Nathan notices a girl on a motorcycle and is very intrigued by her. Her name is Lisa and she likes to be alone and does whatever she wants. Nathan develops strong feelings for h ...more
Sara
Michelle
This book was about Nathan going to a new school and he met a girl named Lisa and become very attracted to her lifestyle and etc. Lisa was always alone and she is careless about what others think. Gradually, Nathan and Lisa began to spend more time together and Nathan knows more secret about Lisa and he wants to spend as much time as he can.
I think this book was okay, not as good as I expected. I thought that Lisa would never care about Nathan but it didn't turn out that way. Lisa began to loose
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
I was in love with this author when I was about eight or nine. I bought all the Dawn Rochelle books from the Scholastic Book sale, and if I ever found any of her other stand alone novels at Waldenbooks. She was up there with Francine Pascal and Ann M. Martin, as far as I was concerned- best authors ever. And if I was nine, I would surely have said this was a great book- a love story between a rebellious girl with a secret illness and a homeschooled boy with a dead sister- how much more sentiment ...more
Kristy
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sniff, 2010, heavy
Well it was another one that made me cry. I can't say too much about this book without giving it away. But I should have known where this book was going to go when I saw the author. So far I have read 4 of her books and I have cried after reading 3 of them.

I liked Nathan. I liked his confidence, even though he thought he was a dork. His mom drove me nuts, even though she was just being a mom. I probably would have acted the same way she did in a lot of the situations in this book. But knowing N
Brittany
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenna Cantino
I am probably a bit older than the target audience for this book but I was not as impressed by it as others seemed to be. It seemed that the main characted fell in love with Lisa way too quickly (after being ignored and going on one motorcycle ride with her). On top of that, her telling him about her illness took wayyyy toooo longgg. I appreciate the attempt of adding a twist to the story by having Lisa disappear but it seemed like it came at the wrong time. The resolution of the story seemed cu ...more
Ani Bakmajian
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is love? Love is what Nathan shows Lisa. In life, Lisa goes through many hardships/challenges. Her parents were getting divorced and she had recently lost loved ones. But in school, she meets a young man, Nathan. Years pass, Nathan and Lisa are in total LOVE! One afternoon, Lisa gets a phone call from the local hospital, not knowing her life would never be the same. Nathan had gotten into a car accident and had instantly passed away. Lisa ;terrified and shocked; learned that life is hard bu ...more
Tina
Mar 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers
Another great story by Lurlene McDaniel. Nathan has been home schooled his whole life, but is sent to public school when he is a senior (mom had twins and is too busy to teach him). On the first day he sees Lisa and knows she is the girl for him. Nathan tries everything to get Lisa to spend time with him and talk, but she is very "standoffish". Read the book and find out why she doesn't want to get to involved with Nathan!
Jessica
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was very intersting. i dont rete this very high becuase at some point the book was very boring. but in the end it go interseting and I didnt want it to end. It show just how alot of people show how alot of people dont want to get treated differently becuase they have some sort of disease. Also how you will hurt someone that u love, because u didnt tell them. The conclusion is that this book also shows how people judge other people by their apperiance.
Miakoda
This is the second book I've read by Lurlene McDaniel (Don't Die My Love was the first) and it was just as good in it's own way.

I cried once again and will keep picking particular books by this author.

Every page held my interest, it was heart breaking but very true to the harsh world we live in. But as the author likes to moralize in her stories...be grateful for the positives in life because good always triumphs over evil.
Shannon
While the book was pretty predictable as were the characters...they were also very likable. The story was good in an afterschool special sort of way. It did what a story should...kept me interested and engrossed. It was a sad one but also very realistic. I would say to someone that hasn't read it that you will enjoy reading it and may shed a tear or two but it probably won't make your favorite list. It will just be a book you enjoyed reading.
Ariel
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i actually gave this book to my friend for her birthday, and then she begged me to borrow it back to read it. we were obsessed. this is about a tough girl with way too many secrets. he makes it a mission to crack her harsh exterior to make her love him. i felt we could really relate to this. everyone deserves a chance at love.
Katie
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an epic love story. As Nathan faces new changes he meets Lisa who faces charges all the time. She pushes people away and protects her self by putting on an I don't care attitude. He doesn't let her fool him.
Ashley Humiston
May 15, 2013 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: no onw
this one is one of my favorites. one minute she acts like she likes him and the next she dont... turns out she just doesnt want to get to close, she leaves school early for like a whole week and he really wants to know why, so he trys to find out himeself.. well he discoveres it
Daisy
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a good book. I like how Nathan goes after the love of Lisa. when he finds out her dark deep deep secret, he trys to do every thing to help her out. not even Lisa's best freind knows her secret and this book is shocking i think people should read this book. it was interesting.
Brittany Dillon
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was creative and romantic in so many ways it had me in tears at the end of the story I understood what message the author was trying to say. The author did a very amazing job by informing me with this book and the title and book cover just pursued me even more
Ashley
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was good. Total heart wrenching but a cute love story. I wished the author would have slowed down their love story a bit and let them get to know each other more. And halfway through I knew how the book was going to end. Great book though!
Lurlene McDaniel 1 2 Sep 18, 2013 12:40PM
  • Nilda
  • Snap
  • Letters From Wolfie
  • The Shape of Water
  • earthgirl
  • Savage Sam (Old Yeller, #2)
  • Love & Sk8
  • Tagged
  • Listen!
  • The Long Night of Leo and Bree
  • wtf
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...