Start by marking “Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer's Journey from Surgeon to Shaman” as Want to Read:
Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer's Journey from Surgeon to Shaman

Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer's Journey from Surgeon to Shaman

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Born and raised in Haiti to a family of healers, Dr. Carolle Jean-Murat completed her medical training in the US and settled in San Diego in 1982. She soon was regarded as one of the best gynecologic surgeons around-tall and regal, a lone black female among the elite. But her success harbored a secret: when a patient entered her office, Dr. Jean-Murat could quickly and int ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Bettie Young's Books (first published May 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo in My Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo in My Blood

Sandy
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have seen many books with the author’s face emblazoned across the cover. My usual reaction is, “Oh, baby. You should know better than to put your face on anything.” Most of us don’t represent much of a visual enticement to buy.

Dr. Jean-Murat’s smiling visage on her cover not only made me want the book, I had a strong urge to call her up for a consultation, which I still may do. Her face is so open and reveals such good-heartedness that I suspected not liking her or her autobiography would be h
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This was a fascinating, unexpected memoir. From the subtitle -- A Healer's Journey From Surgeon to Shaman -- I anticipated a kind of anthropological study of Haitian spirituality including Voodoo, and Dr. Jean-Murat's decision to embrace her family's faith practices. This memoir has all that, and more: it is a look at a woman and a country in turmoil and transition.

Born in Haiti in the 1950s, Jean-Murat lived through some of her country's most violent times: the dictator "Papa Doc" Duvalier, fo
Mo
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a good read. I found the historical anecdotes to be the most engaging part. I read the Amazon kindle version which was rife with typos, which was somewhat of a turnoff. I did enjoy Dr.Jean-Murat's clear and direct narrative style.
Vicky Mckay
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was fascinating reading about her journey becoming a gynecologist. It was also interesting learning about the culture of Haiti.
Heather